• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Locating a specific TR-4...

sevendreams

Freshman Member
Hello: I am new to this forum and this may be a ridiculous question but, I used to own a 1963 TR-4 and I would like to see if it still exists and if it might be for sale (it was my first car). Knowing the chassis number, is there any way to try and locate a specific vehicle? Thank you.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
You're asking what I asked years ago. After some detective work, I was fairly certain I had found my hood, fixed and repainted on another car. As for the rest of my old TR, I was told that it likely was sold and sent for parts back in the 80s. Apparently, there was a tragic period when the cars were worth a lot more back in Europe, and several waves of LBC cars headed that direction.

I gave up looking for mine, despite a tremendous desire to let my old car know how sorry I was, and how I so much regretted the shag carpet, the 8 Track, the horrible chrome wheels, the bondo and some other atrocities.

Better luck to you, and I guess I'd check all the wrecking yards anywhere near.
As for me, I just have to live with what I did.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've seen a guy at the past couple of Triumphests who has a big printout of TRs and their commision numbers, along with named owners of some of those cars. Sorry I don't know fhe name of that fellow; perhaps someone here know him?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
mrv8q said:
I've seen a guy at the past couple of Triumphests who has a big printout of TRs and their commision numbers, along with named owners of some of those cars. Sorry I don't know fhe name of that fellow; perhaps someone here know him?
I suspect that's Jon Korbin, vehicle registrar for The Vintage Triumph Register.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
sevendreams said:
...Knowing the chassis number, is there any way to try and locate a specific vehicle?

Be aware there are several numbers on a TR4: Body number, commission number and engine number.

Cars were usually registered with the commission number which would have ended in 'L' or 'LO' (as in CT?????L). If the number you have is the commission number then your chances are improved as most registrys will list by that number.

I suppose you could mention the number here if you're felling lucky.

OP
S

sevendreams

Freshman Member
Thank you for all your help and suggestions; I will check the resources that have been suggested above. The car I am looking for is a 1963 TR-4 that I purchased in 1972 in Northern California (and sold there in 1975). Original color was a light blue, chassis #CT 13164 L, engine #CT 13300 E. Again, thank you all.