• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Reaching Pete Delaney - Healey 5 Speed

HealeyBN7

Country flag
Need some help reaching Pete. Tried calling and sending emails, but I can't seem to make contact.

Here is the problem:

I have an older Smitty kit that I have been using for almost 10 years. I have consumed one W58 transmission, several clutch disks and two pilot bushing in the process. This is with all light driving of maybe 500 miles a year.

At first I thought it was just poor luck with the used transmission as it ate the input to main shaft bearing. With the transmission freshly rebuilt, it worked for several years then I broke a clutch disk. OK, more bad luck. Replaced the disk and machined a new pilot bearing and in less then two years the pilot bearing was worn and the center of the clutch disk had fractured.

We traced the problem to a misalignment of the bell housing to the back plate. The bell housing holes are not properly indexed to the center of the input shaft.

I would like to reach Pete to confirm the issue, share the measurements and pick up a replacement (if it is in fact a better fitment).

Tried calling and emailing, but I have yet to receive a return email or phone call. Now his phone appears to xfer to a fax machine, so I can no longer leave a message. I am willing to pay for a new bell housing, I just want to get my car back on the road.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks and sorry for the rant,

Dean (60 BN7 - originally a non-overdrive car)

OP
HealeyBN7

HealeyBN7

Country flag
Folks,

I think I have this figured out. At least the first step. I learned that John at Quantum Mechanics stocks and sells Pete's (Smitty) bell housing and is going to take some measurements of mine.

It is now packed and on it's way across the country.

Regarding Pete, I learned that he is dealing with medical priorities.

Dean

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
HealeyBN7 said:
Folks,

I think I have this figured out. At least the first step. I learned that John at Quantum Mechanics stocks and sells Pete's (Smitty) bell housing and is going to take some measurements of mine.

It is now packed and on it's way across the country.

Regarding Pete, I learned that he is dealing with medical priorities.

Dean
Please share the results of your bellhousing with us. I was having problems with 5th gear sliding out of gear before I dismantled car to do a frame up plus the rear trans mount plate was about 3/4" from lining up with the frame holes.
Thanks,

OP
HealeyBN7

HealeyBN7

Country flag
Update -

I got a call from Pete today - Yeah! He said the best way to get a hold of him is through email.

John at Quantum is sending my bellhousing back to Pete and Pete is shipping me a new bellhousing. Hopefully it will ship out in the next couple days.

Pete stated that he corrected several issues with the earlier Smitty design. The shift fork hole is now centered so you can use the rubber bellows. With the original design shift fork exited so close to the bottom of the hole, it left no room for the bellows. In fact mine scraped along the bottom edge and I had to relieve the opening.

Pete also realigned the slave cylinder. The original slave was not properly angled toward the shift fork. This put pressure on the slave and causes early bore wear. Might explain why I went through two slave cylinders in 5,000 miles.

He also repositioned the lever ball and moved it closer to the engine. I ended up using a stack of washers on mine to get the angle corrected.

Lastly he has made improvements to the pilot bearing and holder. I designed my own, so I'll have to see how the new one compares.

Good to see continued improvements.

For my reinstall, I purchased and fitted a Tilton hydraulic center release bearing, so I won't be using the lever arm and slave. This will be similar to the kit Herman sells for the TR3/4/6 line. I have this set up in my Peerless and I am very happy with the engineering. Once I confirm that it is working I'll post a few photos of the upgrade.

With a properly aligned bellhousing, I should be back in business.

For now, I'll just be on the porch waiting for the UPS truck.

Dean

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dean--

I believe it is covered in the installation instructions but it is recommended to use a pedal stop or some positive mechanical device to prevent "overstroking" the clutch plate. With the car off the ground engage the transmission, have an assistant rotate one of the back wheels while you slowly depress the pedal to find the point where the clutch disengages, then lock the pedal there.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had a similar experience with a Smitty conversion about 12 years ago. After a short time the misalignment of the bell-housing with the engine resulted in a ruined clutch disc and burned up pilot bearing.
Solution: I bought an empty W-58 Toyota transmission case from a rebuilder for about $20 and took it to my machine shop along with an engine to check the alignment. They lined it up properly and installed two dowels. Only cost me another $400.00.

OP
HealeyBN7

HealeyBN7

Country flag
Mike - Very good advise. Thank you.

Richard - I wish I was fast enough on the up take to figure out the bell housing was hosed. Since this was the really the most important part of the Smitty conversion, I just kept assuming that it was correctly machined.

This week, John at Quantum confirmed my findings that it was off by at least 1/8 of an inch. Pete is going to send me a new one that I will have to pay for, but really, I would have expected that the original would have been properly inspected. You can't imagine how many times the car has been laid up for this issue.

Can't wait to get this resolved so I can wear the stickers off off my new Vrdesteins.

Dean

OP
HealeyBN7

HealeyBN7

Country flag
After Pete and Quantum confirmed that the original bell housing was defective, the replacement bell housing was shipped and arrived today. I should be able to get it installed this weekend. - yeah!

What's another $580...ugh. Not sure why it was that I agreed to send the old bell housing back if I had to pay for a new one anyway???

And I thought this route would be less expensive than converting to an OD. If it all works and I am on the road again, I'll soon forget:smile:

Dean

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dean,
Am curious as to what exactly the machinist found to be wrong with the bell housing - were all the bolt holes and dowels off, or was it just the dowels? Was the whole pattern shifted slightly to one side?

The above may "sound" argumentative but in reality I'm just curious how S----y screwed up.

If the pattern's OK but just shifted slightly to one side, I wonder if it could be heliarced up and re-machined.

I guess I lucked out getting one that was correct to start with - I've used mine successfully now for maybe 8 years.

OP
HealeyBN7

HealeyBN7

Country flag
Re: Pete Delaney - Healey 5 Speed

Hey Steve,

Yes the pattern was off to slightly down and to the driver's side. The dowel pins were in the appropriate place when compared to the overall pattern, but the whole thing was off.

Several years ago, when I was replacing the trans, I mounted just the bell housing and it went on smoothly. Of course this is because I didn't have the input shaft installed. Once I installed the rest of the trans, I always struggled a bit to get all the bolts in, but I just assumed that was due to the weight and awkwardness of the installation.

Yes, it could be welded and re-machined. There was nothing else wrong with it, except it is now on the wrong coast...

I did get the new bell housing installed this weekend. I ended up using the traditional clutch fork/external slave as I just didn't have enough room for the internal slave. It either needed to be 4mm thinner, or input shaft housing would need to be relieved. Decided not to mess with it as the marginal improvement would not have been worth the hassle.

I will say the new bell housing fits much nicer. The trans shifts smoothly. No funny noises when the car is in neutral and the clutch is off (the old set up would drag the input shaft).

Put 40 miles on it today. Now I can start wearing down my new tires!

Dean

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Can you advise as to the e-mail address (or phone, or some way to reach Pete) as I'd like to buy his kit
Thanks,

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I have one of Petes original kits and never had a problem except that the brass pilot bushing fell out then I got the new one he made and no prob

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Success!

[FONT=&quot]Good Morning Doug,[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Below is the Kit information.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will have to get the shipping costs and get back to you.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Stephanie Delaney (Pete's wife)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kit Includes[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
1 Bell Housing
1 Clutch Disc
1 Pilot Bearing & Adaptor
1 Transmission Mounting Plate
1 Speedometer Cable
1 Clutch Alignment tool
4 8mm x 1” bolts
4 5/16” x 1” bolts
2 3/8” x 1 ¼” bolts
1 Clutch Slave Rod
1 Manual

Drive shaft – New and balanced
New Toyota Parts
1 Release Bearing
1 Clutch Arm
1 Speedo Angle Adapter
1 Speedo Gear
1 Sleeve Subassembly Speedo
1 Clutch Release Boot
1 Trans Rubber Mount
1 Pivot Bolt

In order to convert to a forward shift tower the following items are included:
1 Forward shift tower
1 Housing Shift
1 Bushing for shifter
1 Shifter Cap
1 Shifter Spring
1 Baffle Extension
1 Seat for Shifter

1 Chrome Shift Lever

Total $1975 which includes shipping within the Continental US.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The following transmissions can be installed into the Healey with the conversion kit and most are available at any salvage yard:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1) 1982-86 Toyota Supra 5 speed transmission[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NON Turbo Toyota Supra '86-'90[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2)1991-2004 Toyota Pickup 2 wheel drive ONLY, 5 speed transmission. Truck transmissions are the most available up thru the 2004 Tacoma.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The early models of course have higher mileage. Transmissions are usually good from any salvage yard.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Payment is by Cashier's check or personal check written to Carolina Sports & Imports, LLC. Send shipping address with your payment.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for your inquiry and let us know if you have any questions.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Happy Healeying,[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Stephanie & Pete Delaney[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Healey 5 Speed[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]P O Box 561
Harrisburg, NC 28075
704-455-2585[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Healey5Speed@aol.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

jcsb

Jedi Trainee

Doug,
Did the Delaney's get back to you in quick order? I'm interested in the kit too since I've been unable to get Cape International to get back with me for a couple of weeks on buying the Getrag conversion.
John

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

Doug,
Did the Delaney's get back to you in quick order? I'm interested in the kit too since I've been unable to get Cape International to get back with me for a couple of weeks on buying the Getrag conversion.
John
Pete can somethimes take a while to get back to you but he will. I usually call, lv message, and then send email. I had an unusual problem with my conversion but we're working through it. Has has sent me parts at no charge upfront and terms are use what you need and pay for them and then send me back the ones you don't. I posted my problem(s) on a post here about a month or so ago.

jcsb

Jedi Trainee

Pete can somethimes take a while to get back to you but he will. I usually call, lv message, and then send email. I had an unusual problem with my conversion but we're working through it. Has has sent me parts at no charge upfront and terms are use what you need and pay for them and then send me back the ones you don't. I posted my problem(s) on a post here about a month or so ago.

Thanks Patrick. I sent an email and tried calling a couple of times, but it rolls over to a fax machine.
John

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

Thanks Patrick. I sent an email and tried calling a couple of times, but it rolls over to a fax machine.
John
I never had it roll over to a fax machine when I called. They probably don't know that it's doing it.

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
Well after getting in touch and sending him a check, it's now impossible to get in touch with him again. This is very frustrating since I have the transmission out and I'm waiting. I should have gone with the Getrag instead.
John

rcflyer

Just curious...you had to pay for the correctly machined bell housing...is it one you got from Pete in the first place?Lee