• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Help - TR3 Wiring Harness - Horn Wire Missing?

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I need some help...again... bear in mind I did not have the luxury of taking the car apart myself and keep running up against things that just don't seem to add up - At times I feel like I'm doing a jig saw puzzle without a picture to look at. :confuse:

Can someone help me understand if my new wiring harness is missing a short piece of wire? Actually, it would be 2 pieces - one for each horn.

I know the wiring diagram shows 2 wires that go to the horn - brown/green and brown/black. Yet, with my new harness, only the brown/green will reach - see the pic below.

This is the TRF harness with cloth braid - p/n 303004/LAC.

Am I supposed to order a piece of brown/black 8" long wire with the correct bullet ends and a joiner? But there is no p/n or listing anywhere for such a piece. Something seems odd. Does anyone have a pic?

Thanks in advance,

6790727962_0611fa9168_z.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That is the way it was originally assembled. The join between the stub wire to the horn and the main harness uses a 4-way sleeve on the driver's side, with a 3rd wire to the control head.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Luke, here is a pic of the 4 way sleeve, circled:

IMG_1487.jpg

On my car, the brown/black goes to the 4 way splitter, the brown/green wire goes directly to the horn. BTW, the horns give a very rich, '50s sound.

Your wire loom is beautiful!

OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thanks guys, but I'm still confused. Does this mean I need 2 additinal short pieces of wire?

And, my pic is the passenger side - so unlike the drivers side, it doesn't use a 4 way sleeve, corect?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes, you need the two short pieces of wire. Sorry, I can't seem to find a part number for them.

The passenger side only needs a 2-way sleeve.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well, It's actually just one short. The long wire you show goes inside the horn cover to a connector on the internal phenolic plate. There should be another wire soldered inside the horn that comes out and goes into the connector shown in the photo above.

Have you opened the cover on your horn to see if the missing wire is coiled up inside?

John

OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thanks John - neither horn has any wire inside. So, I do need 2 right - one for each horn?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That is correct...

Look inside your horn to see what you need. Mine has a connector for the harness wire inside the horn, and the (missing) other is soldered to the horn on one end and has one of those "torpedo" shaped connectors on the other to go back to the harness. You may need one with connectors on both ends for your jumper.

If you still have your old harness, you may be able to find enough usable wire to make them yourself. I had to do that with several wires and/or connectors that were not supplied with the new harness assembly. The torpedo connectors can be unsoldered and resoldered as needed.

Best of luck!

John

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
On mine both wires inside the horn had bullet connectors and (as Randall noted) went to a 2-way sleeve on the p/s and a 4-way sleeve on the d/s.

If you need a length of Brown/Black wire to make up those 2 short bits let me know.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The brown/black wire measures 8" long and is secured inside the horns as shown. This is the one from the RH side of my early 1958 TR3A.

Attachments

• 27902.jpg
    27902.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 209
OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the offer George - let me first call British Wiring to see if I can get a new piece with ends installed to match.

Good pic Thanks Don - Is the horn wire soldered or is it a bullet connection?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mine were originally bullets inside the horn; but the DCO crimped and soldered them instead.

I'm still not sure why the horns work when I'm just testing them, and not when someone tries to drive through me on the freeway; but now I know it's not that connection :smile:

RSJ

Freshman Member
Greetings all.
Working on a friend's 57 TR3 (I had a 59 for 20 years till 2006), and have a horn wiring question. I am installing the windtone horns, but the short lengths of wire connected to two points under the dome (left and right I will call them, with the trumpet facing away from me) are missing. From searches and diagrams, I know that one should be Brown/Black and the other Brown/Green, but does it matter which is connected to where?
One diagram I have (AdvanceAutoWire.com) shows them as being oppositely-connected dependent on whether from LH or RH (in addition to showing the RH side receiving the input from the horn switch, which suggests to me they are displaying the British version of the wiring diagram)
Don's photo above helps, but for the driver's side horn, does the Brown/Black wire emerge from the same-side connector? In other words, once the dome is removed, are the wire colors the same on both horns, regardless of which side the horn is meant to be installed on?
Thanks in advance!
Ritch

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Since the horn itself is not relying on a ground (the ground is supplied by the horn button via the brown/black) and since horns still work when one changes a car's polarity...

...it would seem that either way will work fine.

RSJ

Freshman Member
Thanks G.H.!
That seemed to me to be the case since, when testing with a battery, it didn't matter to which wire I supplied power.
Appreciate it.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the tip and info. I am starting to look over the new harness that came with my TR3A kit and noticed that those bits of wire were missing.

Got on to British wiring and ordered bullet connectors, short bit of Brown/Black also a length of brown to go from the alternator to the battery. Got the 60 amp wire.

David