• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Soda blasting

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
While in Roswell this week I got crawling around the 47 Studebaker truck I bought and starting thinking about the best way to get it out of the cluster of cars its surrounded by and worked out a plan. Next...tires. 775 by 17 inch 8 ply bias....Hmmmm. Okay..online at $163 each, not bad. Later I noticed a local paper had been tossed up against the gate?? It was apparently a free copy saying subscribe now and get it half price for the first three months. Ok..opened it and there was an ad for a local company doing clean-ups and media blasting. Called them and told them I was a geezer and was tired of sanding. He has a total mobile unit and wiil come to the yard when I'm ready and do it right there. So the plan is I'll dismantle it right there and for about $600 it"ll be ready for resto. They also said to drag the 65 Mustang over and they'll do that as well.
ll

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You do know soda blasting will not remove rust?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Soda blasting has it's good and bad points! Bad point is, after the object that has been done, it should be washed with a special cleaning solution to remove all traces of the soda media/chemicals, but a type that doesn't cause the metal to flash. If any traces are left, it'll push the paint. I personally won't use it on a car body, but that's just me. I won't sand blast either as sand blasting causes a high heat build up on thin metal if your not extremely careful, thus causing warping. I only sand blast chassis. I strip my car bodies by either having them dipped or using an aircraft grade stripper. Naturally the self stripping is a lot of work, but you never damage the metal underneath. JMHO. PJ

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
Soda blasting has it's good and bad points! Bad point is, after the object that has been done, it should be washed with a special cleaning solution to remove all traces of the soda media/chemicals, but a type that doesn't cause the metal to flash. If any traces are left, it'll push the paint. I personally won't use it on a car body, but that's just me. I won't sand blast either as sand blasting causes a high heat build up on thin metal if your not extremely careful, thus causing warping. I only sand blast chassis. I strip my car bodies by either having them dipped or using an aircraft grade stripper. Naturally the self stripping is a lot of work, but you never damage the metal underneath. JMHO. PJ
Any thoughts on plastic media? Had a friend who used glass and (I think) acrylic meadia on airplanes, apparently with no damage to the aluminum skin.
Tom