• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Auction today

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A nice 71 TR6 sold at auction today for $27500.00. I gave the car a good looking over on Tuesday and only found one big fault with the car. The seam between the rear fenders on the top and the tub of the car had been filled in. To me this is a major fault and would never pay that much for the car. Questions come to mind as to why they filled it in (rust). It was said to be a rust free car with the same owner for the last 33 years. Miles were around 45000. This is a good sign for the value of our LBC's.

It does make me think about buying the all original 76 TR6 with O/D, A/C, and Hardtop from the guy I met at the local cruise-in last weekend. He bought it from the original owner over ten years ago and never drove it. It comes with all the original documentation from new. Car has never left the Phoenix area. The color of the car is not what I would choose, but good for AZ (white with chestnut interior). Not that it means much but he said it was the very last TR6 sold in AZ.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Don, not sure why you are saying what you are saying, but I have real mixed feelings about high values like this, I guess it stirs up interest in saving and restoring these cars, but the rising prices make it harder for me to buy them, and the part that gets my get is half the yokels that have a clapped out rusting restoration project want 2-4x their value because they saw what a well restored car went for at auction, I know people that have put some serious money into restorations want to get some of that back out, but there is a downside to rising values in my humble opinion.

I also agree that a filled in seem is pretty inexcusible on a premium value car (partly from having seen many bondoed over rusty cars with such repairs back in the day), but I guess it is worth whatever someone wants to pay for it.

AEW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have some mistrust of auctions also, but I looked up the NADA classic car prices and its not that far off (if you believe NADA). Here it is.

junk...better....good...very nice

$3,595 $7,375 $11,850 $21,700

Options: (add options)
ADD-FACTORY HARDTOP $775 $1,000 $1,500
ADD-OVERDRIVE $800 $1,200 $1,700
ADD-WIRE WHEELS $275 $550 $775

See all options chosen
TOTAL PRICE $3,595 $9,225 $14,600 $25,675*

V

vagt6

Given that the car isn't in top nick, as Keith says, above, we may assume that the purchase was emotional and not made by an informed buyer.

I think this is the case with many of these televised auctions. A perfectly restored or pristine original TR-6 *may* be worth that kind of money, but it would have to be <span style="text-decoration: underline">perfect</span> or have special provenance (e.g., racing history; famous owner, etc.).

I'm gonna say it: only an uninformed (or liquored-up) buyer would pay that much for an imperfect TR-6. Just ain't worth it. :nonono: An informed buyer could purchase a comparable car for thousands less (but perhaps <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> at Barrett-Jackson)!

And, we would also like to assume that any imperfections in the car, whatsoever, are fully disclosed by the sellers.

Crazy money, crazy buyers. :yesnod:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think glemon hit it on the head... price is dictated by the bidders. Some bidders bid with emotion, some with knowledge, and some with ignorance (OK, maybe not at a B-J auction).
During the summer I had my TR6 at a local car show; two guys came up to me and asked if "my car was for sale". I replied "no". One of the guys said "would you take $30,000 for it?"
My comment to them (in a nice manner) was:
A- either you guys have too much money, or
B- you don't know the value of the car, or
C- I suspect it's a little of each.
After we talked for a while I got the feeling that they had the means to buy whatever they wanted and if it was a car, boat, or exotic trip so be it. They knew NOTHING about cars. Price is dictated mostly by buyers.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
And who can forget the $92K paid for a TR4 a few years back?

Country flag
From what little I have got to watch the Auction this week, I thought prices were low. Some of the cars that were sold couldn't be restored for the price they were sold for. NOW the TR6 that sold, if it had the rear seams filled in, I wouldn't pay $5k for it even if the rest of the car was pristine. Somebody didn't know what they were doing. Is there a brother or son around, I have a couple of cars I'd like to sell.

Marv

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Keith:

When I was restoring my 65 Mustang GT I had the seams between the rear window and the trunk welded up just to keep them from being a water trap and eventually a rust problem. I've never had anybody ever comment about the missing seams at car shows. On the other hand, if there was a rust problem, that would be one way to cover it up for awhile. Since it was listed as rust free, they probably replaced body panels and were just making sure that it stayed rust free.

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I know several places where when doing a new paint job they will put down seam sealer between quarter panels and body tub after priming and before top-coat to prevent water traps. It's entirely possible that the owner had the car re-painted and never even realized that something was done that wasn't 'stock' to the paint job. Heck, dealing with the rust on my TR6 right now, it'd have been nice if my seams were sealed !

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I also forgot to mention the 10% buyers premium, and the 8% sales tax. Now that's getting expensive. I'm not sure why the seam was filled in. The car had a quick redo and then sold. There are so many cars at auction that you can still smell the new paint. You can get a deal at action if you are lucky, and know what you are doing.

Still a great day around cars you never get to see. Worth the trip. I missed the last couple BJA because it was going to all American muscle cars. Don't get me wrong but I love the see the old classics, and exotics. I would love to own a 69 Mach 1. What the heck Terry a GT 350 would be nice.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Yea, I have a list of cars I would like to own, but never will unless I would come into a great deal of money. The 69 Mach 1 is on that list. Some day I hope to make one of those Barrett-Jackson auctions just to look and drew a little over the cars.

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Terry would love to have you if you decide to come to AZ. BJ is not the only auction in town. I would love to go to the RM auction but $100.00 per person is a bit high for me. They have much better cars, but a little stuffy.