• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Back to TR3 Sidescreens

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Alright, finally getting to the sidescreens. Does anyone have a good supplier for the "fuzzy channel" that holds the plexi-windows?

That's the easy part.

Jesus, if you are out there, I have removed the vinyl and am trying to get a feel for the order that these sew together. Studying the stitching, mine were originally sewn as follows:

1) Inner arches sewn to inner base, so the inner vinyl is a combination of 3 separate pieces...but were sewn together BEFORE the inner was attached to the outer vinyl.

2) The outer vinyl was cut as a SINGLE piece, that covered both the base and arch.

3) The inner vinyl cover was then sewn to the outer vinyl cover, inside out. This assembly was then turned right side out and slipped over the frame.

4) The windows and channels were used to "pinch" the edges of the vinyl and lock them to the window frame.

All of this I get from the original stitching. The part I do not get, though, is why the inner vinyl was cut in 3 pieces. It seems that it can be done with a single piece, just as the outside. I am thinking it may have been just to make the vinyl usage more efficient...that is...to get more pieces out of a given sheet of vinyl.

So, are everyone else's screens cut using 3 pieces of vinyl on the inside?

_DSC7274.jpg

This is the one-piece outside

_DSC7273.jpg

And this is the inside, where you can see the seems at the corners of the window arch

John

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The Roadster Factory is where you can get the parts you need. I had my wife help me recover my sidecurtains. We use the old covers for the pattern I don't remmber if the old covers were three pieces but we cover my with one piece inside and out.

Don

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Don. I am glad to hear one piece will work. That means the 3 pieces had to just be a material saving measure.

What is the purpose of the snap strap on the curtains?

John

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Doh!!

Just checked TRF and they are out of the channel with no ETA on the backorder. I am sure there must be a vintage supplier out there somewhere for fuzzy channel.

Help!

John

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi John you probably got the skinny from TRF, but yes this one is original and is cut from 3 pieces. If you want, I will mail them down and you can practice on these. I would not usually offer that, but you are such a good craftsman that I would take a chance. Seriously, report back on that because I have never done any sewing or stuff like that and for the price of a new set, it might be time to try.
Steve

Attachments

• 27474.jpg
    27474.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 776
OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Steve, yours have the same almond color on the front pane! I thought mine were tinted, but now I'm wondering if it isn't just the plastic aging...(or some odd fad back in the '60's?!?}

So, what I'm thinking is the originals were all sewn with 3 interior pieces.

The only hard part about sewing is getting the wife out of the house long enough to use her good machine on the garage stuff. I'll be sure to take pics and let you know the level of difficulty...

Gotta get back to searching for "fuzzy channel".

John

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Oh, the snap strap still has me confused. Is it for storage, or is there supposed to be a snap on the door trim to take it?

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Geo, the mystery is solved! I'm slowly getting a handle on these things.

John

Jesus

Country flag
Hi John,

Thank you for the detailed description and photos.

I have seen some sidecreens with two pieces in the inner side of the cover, apparently sewn together and assembled later as you explain. The reason is probably for using less vinyl, while still keeping a good appearance in the exterior side.

The sidescreen covers I’ve inspected have the outer edge around the window frame sewn form the exterior, which seems to be achieved by sewing the outer edge once the vinyl is on the frame. Apparently, for this task, a special sewing machine is necessary, to sew close to the frame. However, the procedure you describe could be complemented with this task, perhaps, and if so no special machine would be required. Well, only one able to sew across four vinyl layers.

I am trying to cover the frames in a different way, by producing one piece for the lower part, and another for the window frame. This latter is made out of two pieces, with an internal reinforcement in the front edge. This allows using much less vinyl, and the pieces can be sewn with a plain heavy sewing machine out of the frame. The problem is how to solve the union of the two pieces once on the frame.

As far as the strap, I think it is a reminiscence of the older versions of sidescreens, whose lower part could be lifted from the interior for hand signs. In the newer versions, they are completely useless. In any case, the strap is always attached to a counter snap on the door.

I do not know if by furflex you mean the felt channel the surrounds the window. If so, you can try at Woolies in UK:

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-290-single-track.aspx

Jesus

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeh I am not sure of fad/fade either. I got them with a 58 parts car back in 1975 or 4 and they were tinted then, and the plastic is different than the window that moves, so perhaps sun fad.

steve

Attachments

• 27478.jpg
    27478.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 722
OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Jesus...You're back! Thanks for the channel link. I left an email to see if part number 151 is what we need. I am sure it will be next week before I hear back.

Steve...thanks...every picture will help as I tackle this! Your last one brings up another discovery I made. The stitch you show (that is pulling apart in the pic) is hand sewn on my screens. This appears to be the case on both screens at the front and rear of both my screens. I'm not sure what this means to the construction technique yet, but I am working on a theory.

I have the screens completely torn down and will hit the frames with the sandblaster tomorrow. I'll give them a coat of paint, and will get to the upholstering next week. I'm looking forward to the change in pace from all the mechanical and body work. My wife is watching with that "it'll never work" look.

John

Jesus

Country flag
Hi John,

It seems that we are deeply committed in DIY the sidescreen covering procedure. Please, keep us informed of your progress…

I wonder if you have read the article about sidecurtains refurbishing in

https://www.the-roadster-factory.com/side_curtain_flyer.htm

There you can find some hints on how to do the job.

Looking closer and more carefully, it seems that the outer seams that create the edge over the window frame can be sewn with the vinyl out off the frame. I am not sure if later the whole cover could be wrapped around the frame, or if there must we some seam left to adjust the cover for tightness (perhaps this is why there is a hand-sewn portion, as you mention). In any case, if this is so, a plain heavy-duty sewing machine would do the job.

I think that there must be a variation respect to step 3 in your first post, since this outer edge must be sewn over the outer face of the vinyl (not inside out, like the bottom part).

As far as the window channel form Woolies, pay attention to the height of the U-channel, sicne the original was very low, not to protrude from the frame edges.

Jesus

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting article. It confirms the inside is indeed 3 pieces. Looking at the seamstress work, it looks like she is sewing one seam around the entire outer edge with the material inside out. She would then have to turn it right side out to sew the arch overlap seams.

When I look at the photo of her doing the initial fit on the frame, I would never guess it could be coaxed to fit properly...I almost wonder if they use heat to stretch and shrink it into place.

Got my frames sand blasted and painted yesterday. I tried to upload some pics, but my mobile photo bucket is not working...I'll try when I get home in 3 days.

Woolies responded, but were no help. They don't know what the right stuff is, but gave me a company to ask. I'll try tomorrow.

John

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I've been having trouble with my mobile photo bucket app, so getting behind with the updates. Here's what I've got so far. My windows (loose term when talking about side screens) have come in from TRF. They look just like the originals. The cost was about $140 with shipping.

TRF is still the only supplier I have found for the window fuzzy channel, and they are indefinitely back ordered. Woolies (link above) cannot confirm that their's will work, and with the steep shipping from Britain, I don't think I'll risk trying them. So, still looking for channel.

I also received the vinyl from Robbins, through my local upholstery supplier. This took a lot of research. My new top is made by Robbins, but purchased through Moss. I had to reach the Moss techs to get the material type/color they had the tops made with. I then had to contact Robbins to get the code, but they don't sell material direct. So, I finally called my local supper to order and sell me the material. Whew!! By the way, TRF has the material in stock...it costs a bit more than the $90 I paid, though.

So, back to the project. I broke the screens down, which was not too hard, I used an xacto knife to trim the threads but leave the vinyl intact as a pattern. There are three rivets that have to be removed. Two hold the strap, and last, shown here, is the only one that holds the fuzzy channel to the top of the arch. I drilled the strap rivets, but had to chisel the arch. They are brass, so very weak.

acf66473.jpg

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Here is one of the frames after removing everything. There is rust, but it was just light surface. One frame was cracked and bent, but I'll get to that later I think it was rolled over at some time in it's lifespan. (I just watched Christine on AMC last night, so I hope my car doesn't hold grudges)

f428a9e9.jpg

Here is a shot of the inside of the covering. Notice that water gets into the screen at the lower fuzzy channel, but has no way to get out. Note to self...add small hole in covering to drain water.

8bda8e86.jpg

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The only thing I found that was remotely fancy in the teardown was a strip of clear plastic sewn into the forward edge of the arch. It keeps the covering held tightly to the windscreen support. I'll have to find some reinforcing, but don't think it will be too hard

0ca5bd24.jpg

SPACER

To CJD/John,

Recovering your side curtains is for sure a labour of love.
How much do you figure you saved by doing it yourself?

Thanks,
Bob