• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A How do I install the headlight rings on a TR3 ???

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
We've got the new headlights installed and adjusted. We have the new rubber and chrome rings but we cant get the rings to snap on. We've turned them every which way and no luck. It's a '60 TR3B so no set screw like the earlier models.
Thanks

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
There are two tabs riveted onto each ring - about 180 degrees apart. One tab clips near the top of the light fixture, and the other snaps into a spring clip near the very bottom.

Let me know if this is clear as mud...and I'll go take some pics.

John

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I usually find that I need to take the removal tool and use it to push the tab into the clip. Otherwise it tends to bend instead of going into the clip.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
It is a very tight press on pop fit. Make sure there is enough room on the headlight bucket frame because if you have adjusted the lights back too far the ring cannot go down and if you have tightened the bucket too tight against the rubber on the bug eye there is not enough room either. you need wiggle room. Moreover, if there is paint buildup on the buck the ring cannot slide down very good. And make sure they are the correct rings?
Steve

PSUTR3B

I had the same problem. I bought at least two rings and could not get them to snap in place. Tried to bend the tab to make it fit but no luck. Tab broke off. several guys at car shows tried and all failed. Finally I got the top to fit and drilled a hole at the bottom and inserted a screw very carefully. Strangely the left ring snapped right in place. Now I am scared to take that one off for fear it will not snap back. The idea of using the removal tool to help make it fit did not occur to me. Good luck.

Gary

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
rusty55 said:
what is this removal tool?
It's just a strip of flat metal, with one end turned up in a lip. Roughly the same size & shape as an old PC slot cover (but the lip is not as tall). Item GT6 here https://trf.zeni.net/TR6greenbook/96.php
I use one I made from an old hacksaw blade, by grinding off the teeth and heating with a torch to turn up the lip.

Normally the lip is used for levering the trim rings off, by sliding it between the ring & the rubber gasket at the bottom, and then levering sideways to pop it apart. But you can also turn it around the other way and slide it in between the trim ring and the lamp retaining ring, to push on the tab and help snap it into place.

Attachments

• 26613.jpg
    26613.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 288

DougME

Country flag
To install my rings I pressed down quite hard with the palm of my hand on the top of the ring, thus pushing the bottom down enough to snap on.

I made a removal tool by flattening out the end of a short piece of welding rod and bending the proper hook on it, then making a loop on the other end for pulling, works great. just cold working, no heat.

Doug, ME
64 TR3-B
60 Land Rover IIA