• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Generator/ Fan Belt Issue

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
Red dash light came on. I can turn the generator and crank pulley freely because the fan belt is so loose. However the adjuster on the generator is at the end of it's travel so I can't extend it any farther and the genarator is not loose at the mounting points! Likely a new fan belt is the solution. I have had oil coming from the the timing cover seal for awhile but I was going to replace that and a speedi sleeve but wanted to finish the driving season and do it in the winter. Is it posible the the fan belt got so oil soaked that it streched? Dosn't seem to be much oil in the pulley grooves. Anyone know the Napa V belt part number?

ArcticOne

Try and see if Canadian Tire or NAPA or PartSource have your car in their computer system. I was surprised that my 1968 GT6 was listed and the belt they had in stock works well.

I originally had ordered the 'correct one' from Victoria British and it is too short.

So if anyone needs a 1050 mm long belt let me know. And if it works for a TR3 I will be through WinterPeg in 2 weeks.

jb

Bremer

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I used napa 25-28386 (made by Gates, 7/8’’ by 39 1/8’’, 22mm by 995mm)
also sold as Gates PN TR28386

Alternatively: TR28376 (one inch shorter than above)

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I use NAPA 24379 (3/4" x 38-1/2", 19mm x 980mm).

I also use Gates TR24379 (love that #) from their 'Truck & Bus Series'. It's 3/4" x 38-3/8", 19mm x 976mm).

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks for the info on the fan belts. Anyone know if the crossmember can be moved far enough to get the belt on. I've got the six hold down bolts out but I cant seem to angle it enough to give me some clearance. I'm running a yellow TR6 fan turned backwards and the clearance was minimal with bar installed! Dont want to have to pull the apron and rad. Doh!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If the belt is cogged (most are these days) you may be able to 'cheat' a bit and used the grooves in the cogged side to get around the fan blade. May also help to rotate the fan (engine) once the belt is over a couple of the blades.

Can you imagine doing this on the roadside some rainy night?

Some owners with belt fitment challenges actually install 2 belts while they have everything loose -- then zip-tie the spare belt back and out of the way for the 'rainy night' scenario.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
If you find the shorter snout off the tr4a,the fan can be turned forwards....solving a bunch of problems.But it sounds to me like you will be going deeper to get the speedy sleeve on, so just make a weekend of it so you can enjoy fall.
MD(mad dog)

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Just to clarify, the 4a extension isn't shorter than what is originally on a 3A.

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
For what it's worth, I also use napa 25-28386 (Gates PN TR28386) on my TR4A. It's a tight fit over the pulleys but, once on, requires little adjustment to get belt tension right.

I tried a Flennor belt from one of the big three for about 4 months. Had two issues: 1) it was too long and required the adjuster to be all the way out to the point where the generator was very close to rubbing on the inner fender, 2) it developed this "chirp" in the belt which was simply maddening and could not be resolved short of replacement.

Bob

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The chirp----- I have been dealing with that chirp on a tr3 for many years I have replaced everything once. Usually I squirt some stuff on there and it last awhile. I figured it was the way they hook up because the generator from the factory is not lined up. I was going to take an old bracket and grind, drill, bend, add or whatever to get it in line. But after reading your post, I might try the smaller belt because that would bring everything in some, I think. I hate the CHIRP.
Steve

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ah, that "chirp" was so frustrating. I never had the problem for 6+ years until I replaced the belt as part of a "preventive maintenance" service. I tried every thing including:
-belt dressing (worked for about a day)
-lightly sanding inside of both pulleys to give some bite
-cleaning inside of pulleys so they perfectly clean
-sanding full length of belt on the V where it rides on the pulleys
-cleaning belt to remove any stray grease or belt dressing

Nothing worked. Convinced it was a failure internal to the belt, not the length or the size. Replaced the Flennor belt with NAPA/ Gates and all was good and has been for 4 years or so.

Anyway, good luck

Bob

hibob

Freshman Member
If you have trouble fitting a new belt, turn the steering wheel to one side then start the belt from underneath - car on jack stands. You may have to move the fan one way or the other to create clearance.