• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Needing Ideas and information... Duh!

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
If and when I get the crankcase pressurization (blow by) problem solved and I'm no longer pumping oil directly into the exhaust system, How do you get the oil out of the existing exhaust system, short of taking it off of the car?

I was thinking of drilling a hole or two in the lowest part of the exhaust pipe and the pre muffler and let the exhaust pressure purge the pipes and muffler then weld it up when I'm sure I have it as clean as it's going to get. This is the best my feeble mind could come up with. Any really good ideas are welcomed.

After I'm sure I have the problem taken care of... I have a new stainless headers & exhaust system from Bassani that I'm planning to install. I just want to get back on the road w/o smoking and looking like I'm on fire!

A little more detail of what happened...

I wasn't having any oil problems at all & #13046 was running fine. I hit that piece of angel iron on the freeway and damaged the rear transmission mount, a control rod and other suspension parts were damaged. I took the vehicle to British Sports & Imports in Riverside and had repairs made. I had previously removed the air-box which wasn't connected or working, and installed the K&N filters on the Stroms. When I did that I didn't know to connect them to the crankcase vent. I was told that several vacuume hoses were also replaced as needed, seems they were cracked and split, unfortunately I don't know which hoses were replaced.

I took the car out to track day and cleared tech and ran a few laps and I then started to smoke badly, I shut her down and took the car a week later to Britallia in Anaheim and he checked the compression [148 psi avj.], a leak down test and checked the guides. He couldn't find anything that out of spec. Next he removed a spark plug and stuck a bore-scope in all 4 cylinders and each one had oil floating on the tops of each piston! I think he said "a-wash in oil". He suggested venting the K&N's as a possiable fix.

I've ordered the parts to do the venting and if this fixes to over presserization problem I will be very happy, but I'm stuck on how to get the oil out of the exhause system.

I hope this helps by adding a timeline of events and repairs. Sure would be nice to get this behind me.

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Jim,
I personally would not worry about oil in the exhaust system, just run the car, hard if possible, and let the hot exhaust gasses clear it for you.

Alec

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Jim,

I'm with Alec. Don't sweat it, like he said run it hard and let the exhaust gases blow it out.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jim, does the car contain a PC valve in the crankcase ventilation system>???---Keoke

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Thanks all, I hope I can drive the oil out, by driving without getting a citation from the So. California Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) I look like a ship laying down a smoke screen.

Keoke;

No, no PCV - The crankcase ventilation system on the Lotus 907 is pretty marginal at best. I am in the process of venting the crankcase to a catch can and venting the vacuume back to the carbs. The air box wasn't connected when I removed it and installed the K&N air filters, so I didn't connect the vent line then, so... I don't know if this will help, but it won't hurt either from what I've been told. I am also checking all venting hoses and vacuume lines, considering I had a small amount of oil in the brake booster which is vacuume assisted.

Any and all ideas are welcomed and considered. Many thanks.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK Jim, is the smoke white or blue.????--Keoke

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Keoke;

The smoke is whiteish with a blue cast! We checked for water in the oil when we sent the sample to the lab and it came back clean. The odor is also very, very faint, which is atypical of just burning oil, but it has been hard to pin down. There is no smoke until the car heats up, then it is a fair amount and under excelleration is almost goes away, when at idle in billows out of the tail pipe only.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK Jim, You mentioned that there was some oil in the brake booster,so try disconnecting the vac line fom the engine to the booster and plug the engine side of the vac line closed, now give it a run and see if the smoke goes away.--Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
I'll give it a try, but there is still considerable oil in the pipes and muffler. It may be hard to tell if there is a difference right away. My JH is parked in my shop and I'll get over there Saturday and see whats up. I also picked up the AeroQuip connectors, braded steel hose to hook up the K&N to the catch can, I may get to that also. Boy! It was almost $280.00 in connectors and hoses. I've got to go to the surplus stores next time. I'm also looking for a 12" to 18" bore-scope, I saw one at the overstock & military surplus store in Pasadena back a few months for $45.00 I should have picked it up then, oh well.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK
Well after a good run you can see if the oil is no longer on the piston tops.---Keoke

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jim, you flat got ripped off on the hose and fittings. For less than $280.00, I plumbed my entire oil system, from the block, to the filter, through the cooler, to and from the accumulator. All in #10 AN hose.
Jeff

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes that was a bit pricey-Huh---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Needless to say, now that I know what I'm purchasing and how to order... JEGs, Summit, etc., here I come, and I will not be going back to them again. "Once Burned, Second Time... Wise." Thanks.

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Guys;

What is a good sourse for AN connectors and braded steel hose, my next project is the oil cooling system and I don't want to get taken again. Thanks.