• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100/6 1957 Dunlop disc-brakes

massimo

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have an Austin Healey BN4 100/6 1957 with four Dunlop disc breakes, anybody knows if it could be original? And how can I be sure of what?
thank you.
Massimo

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Massimo

Order a Heritage certificate for your car that will tell you--Keoke

Barryp

Country flag
Hi Massimo and welcome.

Good luck finding info on the Dunlop four wheel discs, and whether they were original to your car, I hope they were. Even if they weren't ordered on it they are still very rare as you are the 1st person I've come across that has a car with them. I have a '58 BN4 that my father installed the kit on in '59, by that time the price was up to $387.00 USD from Hambro according to the notes I have, (exchnage rate, shipping fees and dealer markup I guess?).

Please post some pics.

Barry

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Massimo

I must have missed this thread. I'm interested that your car is a 1957 BN4. The currently accepted position is that the 40 cars fitted with disc brakes were produced around Nov/Dec 1957. What number is your car and what is the date of manufacture?

Did you get a Heriatge certificate?

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Couple of additional comments.

It is possible that the Heritage Certificate will not mention the disc brakes as these were fitted after production at the Donald Healey Motor Company.

The fact that they are Dunlop brakes means they are probably original BUT that does not mean they were one of the 40 homolgated cars. The reason is that four wheel disc brakes were also available as an option for anybody to purchase. There are quite a number of known examples of these option cars. Barry's is one of them.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
And a friend of mine in the local branch of the Healey club has two, and there is another with a chap who has recently joined us.

:cheers:

Bob

OP
M

massimo

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thank you for your answers.

Sorry for my late, I was on holiday and I' ve looked your messages only today.

I've requested the Heritage Certificate and my car was produced in the June of 1957.
Unfortunately my car didn't came with disc brakes from the factory but they are fitted after.
In this months I've had a problem at the master cylinder (pomp) and I have known that also this was Dunlop and it has a number.

OP
M

massimo

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello Barry,
I'm sending you some photos of my disc brakes.
Could you tell me if my disks are similar to yours?
Thank you
best regards
Massimo.

Attachments

• 27995.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 313

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey Barry -

How's your car coming together ? I should be ready for this season,
lighter and faster then before.......

healeylvr57

Country flag
I acquired a disc brake rear assembly years ago that I'm intigrating inti my 57 100-6 and convirting the front to disc as well. Is a booster required or optional for this application and does it need a proportional valve to balance the front-rear bias? If anyone has experience with this Iwould appreciate any information I can get.The advantage of 4 wheel disc's over drums should be significant if done properly on this car.My car is a restoration in progress after many years of use (purchased in 1970 driven through 1999) thank's for any input

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
In short, no you do not need a booster, but it does aid in braking. I run a bias valve on my '57 100-6 MM vintage racer, but I also have special 4-pot front calipers and twin mast cylinder. I don't think the early works cars used bias valves or boosters. Keep us posted on the restoration, we need more '57 big Healeys on the road.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Hey Dougie,
Do you have a photo of your bias valve installation? What vendor's valve did you use?
Lin

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
dougie said:
but I also have special 4-pot front calipers and twin mast cylinder.
Hi Dougie,
Are you using a balance bar on the master cylinders also?

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Doug,
Have you get her repaired yet from the racing accident ? I've sent all your videos to my son who's started racing a Lotus Elise.
Regards,
Mike

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Lin -

From the picture you can see the installation of the bias valve, it enters just below the seat at the center if the back footwell. It's discrete, as our race regulations require that you can run a bias, but can't access it during a race. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/63020/10002/-1?parentProductId=755192

Greg I misspoke, I'm running a Wilwood tandem remote master cylinder, not a true twin system. I think mine's 3/4" though. https://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/260-7563/10002/-1?parentProductId=756328

Mike, "414's" at the paint shop right now. Then new aluminum front wings took a little more time to massage into place. My shroud also revealed a few more war injurys after it was completely stripped, which are now fixed correctly. I should be ready when the 2012 race season starts.