• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pertronix & Mallory Dual Point [Positive]

memphis

Jedi Hopeful
Hello All!

Read some older posts on this, but wanted to see what the current pros, cons are for replacing the dual points on my Mallory Dual Point (Positive Ground) distributor with Pertronix.

Anyone out there done this? Can't find specific install instructions for the Mallory Dual point system. Checked the Pertronix website and they only have instructions for a positive ground system.

Any comments, advice, etc is appreciated.

Thanks!
Bob

Country flag
Late last summer, I converted my Mallory dual point to a single point set (by just disconnecting the trailing point set, leaving them in place) to trigger an MSD 6AL-2 ignition system.

My car is negative ground, so I was able to use an off the shelf MSD unit.

The MSD COMPLETELY cured my car's tendency to load up on fuel during stop & go driving. It burns ALL the fuel my Weber 45 DCOEs can supply.

Additional benefits are instantaneous starting (cold or hot) and a built in rev limiter. Throttle response is also improved.

I am very pleased with this setup!

https://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/6421/10002/-1

IMG_2878.sized.jpg

IMG_2892.sized.jpg

IMG_2904.sized.jpg

IMG_2923.sized.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Memphis get that car converted over to NEG ground so you won't have all these problem---Fwiw--Keoke

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Randy,
The quality of your work never ceases to amaze me !
Regards,
Mike

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Randy, "A Wing Nut" on your distributor clamp? You always continue to amaze me, wish I'd a thought of that.

Simple things make me happy....

W

Wings

Read some older posts on this, but wanted to see what the current pros, cons are for replacing the dual points on my Mallory Dual Point (Positive Ground) distributor with Pertronix.

Anyone out there done this?
I run a Mallory dual point (neg gr) and replaced my points with the Pertronix as soon as dual point setup hit the market, I never cared for setting points w/flashlight on cold autumn nights even when i was younger thats why i did it.
i also run a Jacobs pro street ignition on top of the pertronix
car starts up before i'm done turning the key
runs smooth,
Jacobs got bought by mallory a few years back
i believe the Jacobs is somewhat responsible for the EVEN burn across my 6 spark plugs (yep even cylinder 6)
linkage and ignition should be part of your setup that you pay some attention to, there is HP and response by nailing it

Frankenhealey

Jedi Trainee
While not a 'Six' I have a Mallory Dual Point on my Chevy Healey V8 and bought a Pertronix Ignitor II for it. Doesn't work at all out of the box and needed much fiddling with advance to make it work. In the end I gave up and stayed with the old-tech spark system but made sure I had multiple spares of everything.

Cheers,

Ian

Jim_Newman

Jedi Hopeful
Randy
I too have the triple Weber 45 DCOEs. (As well as Pertronix ignition and negative ground). I too have the problem of excess fuel during stop and go and not the greatest throttle response. I think one of these MSD units might do some good. Are there any special tricks to install that I need to be aware of before ordering one?
As always, thanks for the advice and guidance.

Country flag
The MSD made a big difference (in a good way) for me, and they're very easy to install; no special tips required :wink:

I ordered it from either Jeg's or Summit, and delivery was immediate, meaning they had it on the shelf. I elected to go with the MSD recommended coil, as I believe a system is a system.

Throttle response is nice and crisp with the MSD, and it doesn't hurt to have a rev limiter.
Jim_Newman said:
Randy
I too have the triple Weber 45 DCOEs. (As well as Pertronix ignition and negative ground). I too have the problem of excess fuel during stop and go and not the greatest throttle response. I think one of these MSD units might do some good. Are there any special tricks to install that I need to be aware of before ordering one?
As always, thanks for the advice and guidance.

smsTR6

Freshman Member
After doing a search for my issue, I am piggy-backing off of this thread as it seems to most closely touch on my issue.

Just got my engine back from a rebuild and getting it all back together. I decided this was a good time to pop in that Mallory dual point distributor I bought at a car show some years ago. Of course, not wanting things to be too simple, I also decided to upgrade it to electronic ignition.

After searching and finding a 2010 Mallory Catalog online, I was able to determine that the correct conversion kit was no longer available directly from Mallory. Of course, it's easy to find what you need for the OEM Lucas distributor (but I already have that in my old Lucas dizzy). So I search TRF and Moss and I see that Moss has a kit with a Moss part number of 543-041 that should work with my 2367801H Mallory dual points distributor, but it's kind of pricey. So I google to find a better price. Of course, you want the Pertronix part number, not the Moss part number.

As best as I can figure out, the Pertronix conversion for a Mallory dual points 2367801H distributor is part is ML-161. So I order that from Speedway Motors at a good price. Now, I find that it does not fit my distributor!!

Can anyone tell me exactly what Pertronix electronic ignition conversion kit I need for the Mallory dual points 2367801H distributor?

Thanks, Scott

smsTR6

Freshman Member
Scratch that. Just went back a read the instructions a little more closely and realized I had neglected to completely remove the original breaker plate.

Looks like I am back in business again.

Thanks, Scott

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I scrapped the dual points setup in the Mallory distributor--primarily because it was logistically difficult to adjust the outer set in situ--and replaced it with Mallory's Unilite electronic system. That was about 15 years ago and I have never had an issue, though I do carry a spare module.