• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Added one to the fleet

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
My wife went out this evening and bought herself a Land Rover Freelander. So now we have two British cars in the fleet. Cute little vehicle, she's really happy....which means that my life improves accordingly. Maybe I can talk her into joining the BCF as well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

MattP

Jedi Knight
I really like the look of those myself. I hope you like it.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
...she's really happy....which means that my life improves accordingly....

Ahhh, marital peace and tranquility created by a British car. Who'd a thunk?
A local dealer near me has a "riding rink" where potential customers can drive a LR over small hills and bumps....I've been tempted to take a test drive myself.
Good luck with it.

catfood

Jedi Knight
Steve, I hope you get the chance to try it out on something a little more lumpy than tarmac!

My seven year old son wanted to go around the Landrover 'Test Track' at the Rover Heritage museum but I was reluctant as he can get travel sick. But I eventually relented and we spent 15 minute in the back of a LWB Landrover (facing inwards on bench seats). We had spent most of the ride at 45 degree angles going over concrete pipes, blocks, through deep water, up very steel inclines etc. By the time we got out my son was virtually in tears. I assumed he was feeling travel sick but when I questioned him he said - 'It was the boy sitting opposite me, he was enourmous and I thought he was going to fall on me"!

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hiya Steve, it's been a while........nice little story. Actually, I thought of you last night as she was picking it up, since they make these things in your neck of the woods.

Those Land Rovers are capable of far more than they will ever be subjected to, but there is a temptation to go out into the boonies and play with it when the weather is a little more friendly. My ideal plaything would be a SWB Landie, they are crude and they are uncomfortable, but can take anything that you can throw at then and still come out smiling.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I had the opportunity to do a full-on 25 SUV comparison test a few years ago. Land Rover brought its (then new) Range Rover, Discovery and Freelander. I spent a lot of time in the LRs. Very good offroad.

Although, I've always been concerned about their quality. A buddy of mine had a Range Rover for less than a year, and after spending like 4 months in the shop, he ditched it. He took like a $12K loss.

And not to scare you, but the recent JD Power VDS (which tests 2001 models through 3 years of reliability,) Land Rover was far-and-away the least dependable brand available in the US. (472 reported problems per 100 vehicles, as opposed to Lexus (the best) at 162. Industry average is 269.)

Don't get me wrong -- I think you made a great decision, and there's more to the world than JDP. You just need to get a good one, because a good LR is great, but one made on Friday or Monday can be nasty!!!

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Also, there's a lot to be said for a good dealer.

All cars have problems, more it's how the dealers address them.

As I said -- when Land Rovers are good, they're great. They are the great mountain goats.