• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Aluminum Radiator [Wizard]

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Has anybody used the Wizard Radiator in their TR3?

Has anybody painted an aluminum radiator?

How well did the radiator fit?

How well did it work?

Any problems I need to know about?

Reason I ask these questions is. Mine is shot and I was quoted $350.00 to repair. Standard type radiator is about the same price as aluminum. $450.00 from Wizard direct. I want my car to look as original as I can, thats why I would paint it black. The guy from Wizard says they sell one with powder coated tanks and sides. I would have to paint the core. He also said that the cooling would hardly be affected.

Any opinions

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have no experience with this particular company,but I used to work on plenty of street rods.
We would paint aluminum rads and never had an issue.
Must of done 15-20.
Hope this helps.

Dave :savewave:

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Keith,

I have the Wizard rad in my 3A

img_0308.jpg

Since I haven't driven the car yet, I can't comment on the performance. I can tell you that it fit very well in the chassis.

P1060697.jpg

I can say that I have a Wizard Aluminum rad in my TR6 and am quite happy with it, that is why I decided to go the same route with my 3A.

Cheers,
David

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dave what do mean by 15 20? Is that a type, or way of painting?

David thanks for the pictures your car looks great. The one thing I don't like about the radiator is their logo on the top tank. For $50.00 extra they said they would build me a radiator without it.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
mallard said:
Dave what do mean by 15 20? Is that a type, or way of painting?

He means that he must have painted 15 to 20 radiators.

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Keith...Locally we have a TR3B with the Alum wizard in it.
He added a pushed electric fan...and between the two changes
he drives very comfortable here in NoCal in 100 degree temp
Summers. I would say...looks very smart. owner must like it as he is coming right along with his TR6 restoration...and already has a Alum Wizard ready to mount.
Good luck. Gil NoCal

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sorry Keith.
As John said, I've painted 15 to 20 rads.
I'm a mechanic, and not good with words, (even worse typing) LOL
I may have to hire John for my PR work.

Dave

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Keith,

Once the front apron is on, you wont see much of the rad anyway except for the filler neck.

Cheers,
David

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kieth,I just fitted the Wizard radiator and fan in my 59tr3 and it fit nice.It is the fourth one they sent me after some manufacturing mishaps,but that's another story.It's inlet does sit a little higher than the thermostat outlet to line up perfect,but I added a small rubber shim,and it was only about 3/16 high.Only the rear hole of the two in bottom bracket lined up with the mount,so it is only held by one bottom bolt on each side,and the upper supports.Not easy to get those nuts on either.I am not sure if the original used two bolts or not on each side.
Tom

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I installed a Wizard Alum Rad in my TR3A with a puller electric fan. Mine is unpainted, but I like the unpainted alum look. As far as cooling, it has worked very well from last summer on. No issues with overheating, or even running hot. As this rad is a near exact copy of the original I had no problems in fitting the rad to my car.

macilona

Country flag
I had a Wizard installed last year----good fit on stock brackets with no issues. One point not mentioned in the earlier posts is that, if you do not have the crank opening hole, the coolant flow is dramatically increased. This keeps the temperature well below prior levels, even in hot weather and slow driving conditions. It was a great improvement to eliminate worries about overheating.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Keith,
Put one in a few years ago and they work fine in our Az heat, fit perfectly btw.
You do need a 1" deep cap as the original won't fit. They are available from the usual LBC parts providers in 7 lbs.

crvdapena

Freshman Member
Reviving this discussion after a long time! Just popped a Wizard Cooling aluminum rad into my TR3A. Fits great EXCEPT the top pipe that connects via a short hose to the water pump isn't lining up; the opening on the radiator is about 3/8 inch closer to the filler neck than on my original radiator. I can force the accordion-style hose on to both ends,connecting the rad to the pump, but not sure this is a good idea. Any suggestions?

IMG_0264.jpg

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Seems like a rubber or metal shim under one side would cause the two hose pipes to line up pretty well. Or could enlarge the holes in the radiator bracket at bottom and slide it over. I'd just shim it so the offset on the accordion hose was reduced. I have the same radiator and a SPAL fan (thermo-controlled) and even in Sacramento's 105 degree days, she runs cool and without problems. I had to change the thermostat to a hotter thermostat for winter. The car was running too cold with this setup.

Pat

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You adjust the location of the top of the radiator with the upper struts on either side of the upper radiator tank. That is, assuming there is any adjustment left.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Also on the"TR3 with the crank hole in the radiator, one had to shim the engine to get the radiator hole to match up with the crankshaft front nut. So there is another " adjustment " area -- shim the motor mounts-- that you could use. Another recommendation is to use one of the new silicon hoses in this location to hopefully withstand any extra flexing.
Charley

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I just have to say it is a shame if that much adjustment is needed to make the new radiator work. The radiator inlet should be offset to the left quite a bit - is it centered or just not far enough left to match the original design?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Geo, I have two of them in two TR4s. I don't have that much difference. So I was suggesting that maybe something else is "off". After all most of our cars have been in the hands of people that have done all sorts of unspeakable things to the cars.
Charley

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I bought a Wizard for my '60 TR3A in 2013 (6000 miles ago) I painted the tanks. I ask them to
leave the lower mounting holes UN-drilled, (blank) which they did.
Everything lined up perfectly! The paint has held up. I run a 85Âş C thermostat
which I've had for 30 years. It never gets above 185° F & I have pushed it hard in
hot desert/mountain weather. I would recommend Wizard to anyone!
FRank