Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The start of something big. Frame off restoration

The start of something big. Frame off restoration

Begins today!

So, my TR6 needs a new frame. I've got a replacement frame just about ready to go (needs a few things like the differential mounts boxed in, and some other things I'll do to reinforce it since it's by itself right now.)

Having picked up the new TR7 this Wednesday, and having taken it for a nice long 144 mile round trip foliage tour yesterday with New England Triumphs, I picked today to start dismantling the TR6.

Here's the TR6 as it was the last day I drove it

Here's the TR7 yesterday morning while waiting for others to show up for the foliage tour

Today i removed the seats, most of the carpet, the front bumper and scoop, the two front fenders, the driver side door, and the bonnet all removed. Things are at once both worse than I hoped, but better than I feared.

The very first sign of trouble was when I was removing the driver side light fixture so that I could get at the interior bolts to remove the fender. The inner-cup part had significant rust holes in it.

I also had two stubborn bolts, after torches, penetrating oil, and big breaker bars failed to work, I had to drill through the heads and chisel them off

In order to get the bolt off inside the light housing, due to lack of having a ratchet with an adjustable angle head, I took the bonnet off first

Once I did get the driver side fender off, this is what greeted me. The yellow thing is a pen that some how got into the wall of the car

The driver side fender isnt that bad, the rust at the bottom should be repairable.

When I cleaned out the driver side wall, I was surprised that the rocker panel is solid, and it's just the front panel that's realy rusted out. A little bit of rust has crept to the tub wall, but only at the very bottom corner.

The top of the tub where the fender bolts down is a bit rusted, but should be repairable alright.
    Justin 'Tharkis' Mercier
    1976 TR6 Hunter Roadster - CF56244U http://www.hathawayhunter.com
    1977 TR7 - ACW15899UA
    Former owner of 1977 TR7 - ACW16812UA
    TR6 parts for sale in Rhode Island http://www.tharkis.com/images/tr6/forsale/thumbs.py

Re: The start of something big. Frame off restoration

I continued with the passenger side front fender, this one has less rust at the bottom over the rocker, but has a bit of rust where it bolts to the front valence. This too should be repairable and recoverable

The inside of the passenger side, for all that there was no hole into the wheel well, was much worse however, mostly down at the rocker panel.

The top of the tub panel here is rusty too as with the driver side.

Here's the passenger side after cleaning out the pine needles and dirt.

The rocker panel on this side is real bad, and almost non existent for the first 8 inches or so

The floor pans are both coming out and being replaced. Besides holes up front in both of them, under where the seats were are holes and lots of rust too

So here's my dismantling job for one afternoon thus far

I'll keep this thread up to date as I make progress. This should keep me busy for a good long long time !
    Justin 'Tharkis' Mercier
    1977 TR7 - ACW15899UA
    TR6 parts for sale in Rhode Island http://www.tharkis.com/images/tr6/forsale/thumbs.py

I decided to do something quick to make me feel like I made more progress than just pulling some things apart after I got to that point. Figure I'll post it here since it's directly related.

Here was some old TR6 factory steel hardtop hardware that was all rusty and with bad chipped black paint

I took them to my sand blasting cabinet to see how they'd clean up, and I'm very happy with the results. I didnt know if the screens would clean up well at all, but they came out looking great.
    Justin 'Tharkis' Mercier
    1977 TR7 - ACW15899UA

Chats

Some bad, mostly good!! With a cabinet and some judicious knobblin' it looks like ya have it well under control!!

Worst bit will be th' sills. Take yer time and it appears ya have it well in hand.

BTW: LOVE th' pix!!
    '64 MGB, '67 Lotus Elan S-3 DHC,'69 Lotus Elan +2
    '78 Alfa Romeo Spider-current Daily: O=\*/=O
    '84 300D Turbo-"Diesela"-SWMBO's Daily: OO|≣|OO
    '66 Alfa Romeo GT - Upscale Yard Art: Oo=\*/=oO
    Chaos & Mayhem PTY, LTD..C.I.O. & Floor Sweepervisor

Chats

Justin, it's looking good so far.

Please be sure to put braces across the door openings to keep the tub square before you go any further and definitely before you proceed to lift off.
    Paul Rego
    S.E. MASS - USA
    1974 TR6 Mimosa & Chestnut
    Original Owner / Non Original Car
    1980 TR8 Lava Red Pearl / Tan
    New Owner / Non Original Car

My TR6 Resto-Mod Project

Your photo's took me back to when I did mine... you will get there! You should run the drain line completely to the outside instead of terminating in the inner fender... get that water out of there! Run it out from the bottom of the wheel well so it drains to the road.
    Elliot
    Central PA
    1976 TR6 White/Biscuit interior
    1973 TR6 Damson Plum / Biscuit interior, HVDA 5-speed, Good Parts Hubs

Quote Originally Posted by Gliderman8
    Your photo's took me back to when I did mine... you will get there! You should run the drain line completely to the outside instead of terminating in the inner fender... get that water out of there! Run it out from the bottom of the wheel well so it drains to the road.
    I fully intend on doing so. I'm also going to swap the scute vent on the top to the 'old style' vent with the closing top, even though it's not 'correct' for the year of my car. But then again i've got miata seats in my car and a modern stereo and no emissions etc, so I'm not trying for concourse, just for something that I'll enjoy and that is "mine" =)

I've got a long long ways to go. Tonight I'm going to try to remove the rear quarter pannels and the rest of the carpeting from the interior. Then it's off to some welding practice because I've been told I should replace the floorpans while everything is in place on the frame before touching the rest of the tub for ease of alignment.
    Justin 'Tharkis' Mercier
    1977 TR7 - ACW15899UA

Chats

Hi neighbor! Soon this will be you. Good luck.

"Age considers; youth ventures." Rabindranth Tagore
    1975 Spitfire

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

ahh shipfitters disease. Go to replace a bulb and notice the fixture is cracked, while replacing that notice the wiring is frayed, next thing you know the boat ends up in drydock for a complete rebuild because a light bulb burned out. Been there, doing that with my Spitfire that started as a cleanup of the cowl. It was supposed to be done 3 months ago. Still don't have all the body panels welded in yet. Maybe it will be done just in time to get it out in the spring. Just not sure of which year.

I continued the dismantling of the car tonight.

First I pulled off the soft top. Thankfully there was no rust on this top panel, the paint was rubbed off all along the bottom of where the back of the soft top frame mounts, but it wasn't rusty.

After pulling off the interior panels to get at the bolts for the rear fenders I found some more rust on the inside of the car on the tub

The rest of the rear tub behind the fender looks in fine shape though. We'll see once i knock the undercoating off.

I noticed however that it looks like the inside layer of the rear inner valence panel is completely rusted out under the top layer. The top is in fantastic shape, and I think it may actually be a replacement panel on the outside, because I see some points that are normally spot welded that are not connected. it doesn't look good in there, and may actually be the worst place on the car from what I can see poking around.

Both fenders look just fine and without rust.

The bottom of the rear on the driver side is slightly squished in, so it appears that the car was in a fender bender, explaining the replacement outer rear valence.

The rest of the panel looks in fine shape as well except right down by the rocker panel

Here's a close up, and you can see the paint and undercoating bubbled up a bit in the corner

So after day two of disassembly I've now got all the quarter panels off and the top off, infact there's not a whole lot left to remove from the tub other than the dash area, the trunk and the gas tank.

Justin 'Tharkis' Mercier
    1977 TR7 - ACW15899UA