Thread: tr8 Turbo

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

tr8 Turbo

Anybody body have any info on turbo's for the TR8?
    Thanks Tom

Re: tr8 Turbo

Sorry - not me. Did you try the TR7/8 mailing list?

Jedi Knight
    Chats

There are no "kits" available. I'm putting a rear mounted turbo into one of my TR8s now. It's getting a rebuilt 4.0 from a 97 Rover. I plan on using the Rover fuelly intake with bigger injectors, megasquirt, and crankfire ignition(no distributer). The turbo will sit where the gas tank used to be and the new tank is a fuel cell mounted in the spare tire well. I looked into doing a pair of small conventionally mounted turbos, but the space limitations, fabrication work, and added heat to the engine bay are all deal breakers for me. Other options are one big front mount turbo, procharger, or supercharger. They can either run thru an engine management system with fuel injection or blow thru a sealed four barrel carb. Here is a link to some info on the original Janspeed turbo kits that were available for the SD1. They were simple turbos that sucked thru 2" SU carbs.

http://www.roversd1.nl/sd1web/jspeed.html

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

I saw a post on the TR7/8 list about it while
    sitting in the garage staring at my mess,
    thinking of the things I need to replace/fix,
    starter,p/s rack and or pump, hose's, ac,
    and now trying to figure out where my clutch fluid is leaking from.
    I have been collecting parts for when my back is better so I
    can get everthing done at once.
    And I figured, turbo? why not.
    Beside's, wife and kids are out of town, and no matter how much I turn a wrench
    I'm bored out of my mind.
    Sorry, rambling.
    tom

Chats

You mean this turbo setup?

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

something like that would be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice.
    how many mods?
    tom

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

WW's post shows the cleanest possible arrangement. Turbos are most efficient when mounted as close to the continuing BOOM as possible. I would bet that there is a fair amount of heat shielding on the underside of the bonnet as well to keep the paint from burning off. I would think a street car would need some fans to ventilate the engine compartment to keep from having a Chernobyl occur under there if stuck in traffic.

I just can't see how driveable something with a turbo in the boot would be. Yes there is a fair amount of velocity involved but adding 24 feet to the exhaust/intake path can't help things much in the turbo lag or driveability dept. I can only imagine that extra 400hp kicking in right about 20 secs after you wanted it and continuing another 20 secs after you didn't want it. That would be exciting, like driving a car where you only control the steering wheel and the brake and someone else controls the accelerator.
    Rich
    1968 TR250 CD4171LO
    1964 Sunbeam Imp (24 Hrs of LeMons racer/street car)
    1994 Jaguar XJ12 (24 Hrs of LeMons)

Quote Originally Posted by cheseroo
    I just can't see how driveable something with a turbo in the boot would be.
    Just don't lift. Problem solved

Jedi Knight
    Chats

There are a bunch of rear mounted turbo kits out available for more main stream cars. They work well. Turbo lag isn't as big of an issue as you would think given the extra distance between the engine and the turbo(about 7 feet on a TR8). The people I've spoken to that have rear mounted turbos absolutely love them. Not the ideal way to go about it if you want all out power for a race car, but it should be able to produce a smooth driving 3 to 400 HP TR8 street car on 8 to 10 pounds of boost.

Chats

I've seen some of those installed on Corvette's. Very clean and interesting install.
    Shawn
    TR8FHC-Melted