• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Inner Door Handle Parts

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Does anyone know where I can obtain these 2 parts? Thanks in advance,

65698-l-0.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
For part #1, I substituted a split lockwasher of suitable size. Jammed a thin screwdriver into the split to spread it just enough to slip into place. 20 years later, I took it off the same way.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Luke - Here is a photo from the BRG TR3A we finished in 2006. It's a late TR3A (TS 81551 L) compared to your "early" door. And my photo shows the door mounted on the LH side. My point is that while we can't see you doorhandle on the far side of your photo, I can tell you that the handle is aiming upwards at about 45 degrees or it's drooping about 45 degrees.

To get the handle to sit correctly (horizontally), the square end on the handle we see needs to be horizontal too. To get it this way your "dog-leg" link needs to be more vertical as in my photo. You might have to releive some interference where it stops up top - or you might tack-weld a larger curve on the top of the "dog-leg".

Attachments

• 21229.jpg
    21229.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 982
OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I think the important part I am missing is labelled #2 above. here is what I have right now.....you can see the remains of some solder in the background.

66103-l-0.jpg

I am wondering if there used to be solder in there holding the handle? The piece was seized, and I took the torch to it. I wonder if I accidentally melted the solder?

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I never saw any solder near any of the door-handles. On very early hardtop model TR2s and TR3s where there were no door handles so the factory made holes in the door shins and mounted doorhandles. They did not try to raise the "bump" that we all see on TR3A doors which support flat base of the chromed door handle.

It may be possible that someone used solder on such a door to build up the base so it would look correct on a TR3A. But not inside the door behind the mechanism.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Luke,

That round piece of pot metal with a point on it that fit on the square shaft of the door handle is something you can not get from one of the usual part supply houses. The point keeps the latch mechanism from slipping as the door handle turns to unlatch the door bolt. Probably your best source is John's offer. When I needed one, I asked fellow members of the forum and they helped me out.

houleyh

Those are hard to find parts.

Understanding that those are not visible, I drilled a hole into the square shaft, slipped a washer and inserted a cutter pin.

Not original but That works

OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi Yvan - that sounds like it would solve the broken locking ring aspect, but the pot metal piece will be more difficult. And it is critical b/c thast is what makes the door handle activate the linkage.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Luke --
If you can't get that pot metal teardrop thingy, I had good luck just shoving the broken parts of mine back into the hole. The parts get held together inside there, and perform their function perfectly. It's only when they are taken out that they fall apart. You do need to have a majority of the pieces to make this work. Lose too much of it, and you're stuck finding an unobtanium part -- used.

JimTR3B

Freshman Member
Actually ended up with 2 of the upper shaft of the Adjustable steering and one is installed. If anyone needs one please let me know. also, I was given a non-adjustable by a great Triumph guy so I have one of those as well.

John,
I saw your post and may be in need of the door lock hardware. I am restoring a '62 TR3B in West LA and having a time finding some parts for it. If you have the upper half of an adjustable steering column and any of the capping, please let me know. Jim at hallmark rotating equip dot com

Last edited:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Jim - I don't think John has been around here for a few years. You might contact forum member Marv Gruber and see if he can help. A 'want to buy' classified might also attract some attention.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Any thoughts on what happened to him?

JimTR3B

Freshman Member
John, if you are stripping doors then along with the Star Washers for theDoor Handles would you have any of the Bell Crank Cams that thedooe handles go into?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Those are some really old posts; I'm guessing the photos got lost in one of the upgrades. 'Basil' might have a better idea if you want to drop him a note. My impression is that he doesn't read the forum from day to day.

I'd still like to know what happened to John Nichols, if anyone happens to have heard of him since 2010.