• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 front bearings tr 250

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
hello all,

I am looking for a Timkin bearing for my 250 front end
Autozone list a set 2 and set 4 in and out but they are not a correct fit
question is what is correct,
I am land locked and what I can get from Miami AZ would help greatly

thx all

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I believe these Timken numbers are correct.

outer race 03162
outer bearing 03062

inner race 07210x
inner bearing 07100

Last time I checked Rock Auto had all the bearings in stock, but they had to come from two locations so the freight was a bit high.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
mallard said:
Last time I checked Rock Auto had all the bearings in stock, but they had to come from two locations so the freight was a bit high.
When I tried to buy from them a few months ago, I got the impression they were closing out the Timken bearings. At any rate, I wound up getting a mixed set, with Federal Mogul outer races and everything else Timken.

Should be OK, but I would have been happier with all Timken.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
I'm running the bearing kits from British Parts Northwest part #GHK1244 complete kit @25.28 per side.I have 14 thousand plus miles on them to date and they seem to be just fine.Don't recall a brand name on them tho.I think using the right grease and checking the adjustment periodically is as important as brand name.I do carry a spare set in the boot just in case but never had to use them. Maybe that's the secret :devilgrin:

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
From the Timken aftermarket bearing seal catalog with current NAPA prices:

FRONT WHEEL
1976-1953 TR2, TR3/3A, TR4/4A, TR5, TR6
Seal (inner) ...........................1110[2] $9.29
Cone/Cup (inner) .................07100S-07210X[2] $16.99/6.99
Cone/Cup (outer) .................03062-03162[2] $25.77/$12.99

They are in stock, but will need to be shipped to your local store ($8 for me) unless you are in Kansas or Delaware.

I found this on the same page:

FRONT WHEEL
1968 TR250
Set (inner) .............................................SET4
Set (outer) .............................................SET2

I wonder why those are listed in the Timken catalog? Amazon has the SET4 for $10!

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SET4-Bearing-Set/dp/B000X3EPWS

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Straight copy from the Timken catalog, which I downloaded off the Timken site:

1982-1975 TR7, TR8
Seal (inner) ......................................................... 480991[2]
Set (inner) ..............................................................SET4
Set (outer) ..............................................................SET1
1980-1962 Spitfire
Seal (inner) ............................................................. 1110[2]
Cone/Cup (inner) .................................. 07100S-07210X[2]
Cone/Cup (outer) .......................................03062-03162[2]

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I was looking for bearings and Timken numbers and came up with this old thread, as you may figure out from reading between the lines on this there is some misinformation about TR250 bearings, I am guessing the Rock Auto parts listings for Timken bearings for TR250 only are wrong, the lists are correct if you go back to the TR4 and 4A, or forward to the TR6. Maybe coming from the Timken bearing catalog according to the above, the TR250 bearings should be the same as the TR6 and earlier TR, it is too bad, because the prices for the sets listed as correct for the TR250 are really cheap! like 5 bucks.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I guess I'm confused as well. Are you saying that the TR250 takes different wheel bearings than the rest of TR2-6 ??

I've bought those "really cheap" Timken bearings from RockAuto, they were as advertised and fit my TR3 perfectly. As far as I know, the same SET2 + SET4 should fit all TR2-6. Dunno about Spit & TR7/8, though.

Watch out for shipping, though. I've had them ship a single order from 3 different warehouses, and charge separate shipping for each warehouse. The shipping wound up costing as much as the parts.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
No, the Rock auto site lists different bearings for the TR250 than the other cars, they list the Set 2 and set 4, I was assuming those were wrong because they don't match the numbers I have seen (I realize it is a set, bearing and race, and not just the bearing) and because for some reason they are only listed for TR250 and not the earlier and later cars, so I assumed this was not the right part, if it is I will snap them up quickly.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I see what you mean. Sure looks like they are wrong; perhaps I misremembered which sets I got. As I recall, I ordered by the individual part numbers and they showed up as sets. Unfortunately, I've probably thrown the boxes away by now.

The Timken catalog is even more confusing, it lists TR5 as different from TR250!

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
I urge caution when looking at price on wheel bearings. Everyone's response on the four digit #'s are correct, but I just pulled out a couple examples out of my bearings box. Two 03162's, an FAG (German) with 11 rollers and a similar age SKF (Britain) with 13. I think I just saw one that failed on a trip the other day on a TR4 that suspiciously looked like it probably had 10 and was of unknown manufacturing parentage. Inners (7100) are worse yet. I found one used Timken from the 60's probably, that has 18 rollers. It you kept any grease at all in those things they never failed. New Timkens have 16, I think. Bottom line here, do yourself, a favor and spend a few extra dollars, and avoid an unplanned picnic by the roadside. These new ones should probably be repacked every six months. It never hurts to have an extra roller or two to distribute the load. You have to figure they're saving many bucks on making those 5 buck bearings.