• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone Know of a Custom Auto Sound Alternative?

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
For Xmas I got a custom auto sound radio. Since the GT6 is no where near being finished, I havent installed it yet. Well a week ago I won this:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110483012390&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
it's a whole lot cheaper if you buy a broken radio than if you bought the faceplate alone.

Anyway I noticed all the different ways the radio knobs could be mounted but they don't allow anything close to fitting. And what's worse is they only have ONE position for the radio bezel to work with it.

I can't cut my faceplate because 1) it still won't fit 2) if I make it fit, I would have to also cut the radio bezel 3) faceplates are so rare to find anyway, and what's out there are already nasty and cut up, while this is mint.

I could cut into the radio itself and get the knobs in the position needed, but that would most likely void the warrenty. I read some bad things about them failing quickly. And being the 230 model I don't know if I want to upgrade to the 630.

When I was shopping I remember seeing a different option on eBay where the knobs could very easily be adjusted, and was NOT Custom Auto Sound. Problem is, I can't find it any more and can't remember what keywords I used to find it.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Retrosound. Its what I put in my Spitfire. It has support for everything. I LOVE this Stereo!!!

Out of the box
P1020134.jpg

My Dash Hole
P1020135.jpg

What it should look like before installing
P1020167.jpg

Right before mounting
P1020175.jpg

In the dash
P1020176.jpg

Supports everything, Like I said... USB, iPod, MP3 players, CD changers, External Amps, Satellite Radio, Automatic Telescoping antenna, Even my cell phone! LOVE THIS STEREO! Looks stock, but does EVERYTHING!

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
71MKIV said:
I was contemplating one of these for my Spitfire

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Adjustabl...=item35a6a4ea05

That looks like it might fit. Shame it looks so modern. I am completely confused as to why its so freaking cheap. Stinks that the aux is on the front. SD is annoying too. Would have been better if they had USB access in the back so you could attach a flash drive with a cable. And I keep clicking on the pictures, which automatically starts an obnoxious ad containing audio... ...with each and every picture!!! Very annoying. The again, cheap product = cheap presentation. I keep forgetting about it, and still click on more pics!

pjsmetana said:
Retrosound. Its what I put in my Spitfire. It has support for everything. I LOVE this Stereo!!!

Out of the box
P1020134.jpg

My Dash Hole
P1020135.jpg

What it should look like before installing
P1020167.jpg

Right before mounting
P1020175.jpg

In the dash
P1020176.jpg

Supports everything, Like I said... USB, iPod, MP3 players, CD changers, External Amps, Satellite Radio, Automatic Telescoping antenna, Even my cell phone! LOVE THIS STEREO! Looks stock, but does EVERYTHING!

Thats it! I actually found what I was looking for on ebay before reading your post. The design is also a bit modern, and looking at the slider knoc area, it looks like this would ALSO not fit.

It seems that you got the one designed for german cars, as it has the same faceplate. What I want to do is use the factory spitfire/gt6 faceplate. Otherwise Id just slap one of the many DIN sized radios Ive got lying around the garage.

Thank you both. It seems that my only solution is 1)getting the cheap unattractive $50 one in hopes that it will fit or 2) cutting into the custome auto sound one

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
UmmYeahOk said:
It seems that you got the one designed for german cars, as it has the same faceplate.

No... actually the faceplate and knobs are sold separately. I chose the black face with chrome knobs as I thought it matched my interior the best. You can chose what ever type look you want. The knobs can be located anywhere.
You may even be able to use the factory face plate. I didn't have that luxury as some piece of junk walmart radio was in my Spit when I got it. I highly recommend this radio.

I have a full detailed photo-record of everything I had to do to get installed properly, if your interested. I was planning on making a full article for this site with all the pictures but a week after I finished this install I got deployed. I may do it now, if anyone is genuinely interested.

UmmYeahOk said:
Would have been better if they had USB access in the back so you could attach a flash drive with a cable.

This is exactly what this Retrosound has.

PeterK

Yoda
The RetroSound also has 4 channel pre-outs.

Q. Is there another set of holes on the main unit so you could move the mounting brackets forward and set the nose flush with the faceplate? Looks a little funny sticking out.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
PeterK said:
The RetroSound also has 4 channel pre-outs.

Q. Is there another set of holes on the main unit so you could move the mounting brackets forward and set the nose flush with the faceplate? Looks a little funny sticking out.

A. Yes.

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Re: Anyone Know of a Custom Auto Sound Alternative

I put a Retro Sound in my TR8. It fits like factory -- after some fabrication. The only problem is that in a convertible the digital display cannot be seen with the top down, which can be very disconcerting because of the multifunction features of the two knobs. It also seems to lack volume even with the two speakers I have mounted near the center on the back panel.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior

I agree with the digital display being kinda hard to see when its high noon and the top is down. As far as the volume goes, it sounds to me like you have speakers that have a fairly high power requirement. I have 6 speakers running just off the RetroSound head unit, and I can get it pretty darn loud.

2 JL 5.25" Subs in doors
2 JL 1" tweeters under dash (w/ bass blockers)
2 Eclipse 3ways in the rear on the 1/4 shelf

Also, if you want super power and mega loud sound, you have to use an amp. Which, this does have 4 pre-amp outs.

As far as fabrication, yeah I had to do a little... but it was only as much as cutting the brackets with a dremel and a cut-off wheel. Easy as pie.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior

pjsmetana said:
As far as fabrication, yeah I had to do a little... but it was only as much as cutting the brackets with a dremel and a cut-off wheel. Easy as pie.

sounds exactly what I would have to do with my custom auto sound one. Just you have a bracket while I had the front housing of the radio. Of course your modification probably won't void warrenties. Plus $299. Mine mat not have all those features, but if I got the 630 model it would, and would have been cheaper

Retrosound needs more exposure. I didn't even hear about them until this posting. When found on eBay I didn't notice who they were. But Custom Auto Sound is all over in tv commercials on Speedvision and on the show My Classic Car. They make it seem like they're the only ones out there.

About being a convertible. I wouldn't worry about it. I installed a double Din navigational system in my mustang. Can see the darn thing at all on a bright topless day. It's just something to live with

PeterK

Yoda

I had a Custom Autosound SecretAudio SST unit that hides away under the dash and has a remote display controller (wired). Sound was horrible and I sold it on eBay.

I think that regardless of the unit you buy, for decent sound you'll need a separate audio amplifier. The RetroSound looks like a good head unit because of it's modular design but if it were me, I'd use those 4 RCA pre-outs to a more powerful amp. There's quite a difference in sound fidelity from a more powerful amp even if it isn't cranked up.

That said, I have to ask myself how often I really listen to music in my TR. Answer is rarely.

K

KSIS

If you have the original, put it back in. Do what I did in my 62 bug and my 72 MG. in the MG I installed and amp behind the rear seat and use a white and red banana jack to a headphone jack and plugged my ipod rght into it. A small piece of velcro and I was good togo. The best part. Unplug it and slip it under the seat. The bug was nice because the amp was under the bonnet and it looked as if there was no stereo at all.

No worries of a missing stereo when the top was down.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
UmmYeahOk said:
For Xmas I got a custom auto sound radio. Since the GT6 is no where near being finished, I havent installed it yet. Well a week ago I won this:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110483012390&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
it's a whole lot cheaper if you buy a broken radio than if you bought the faceplate alone.

Anyway I noticed all the different ways the radio knobs could be mounted but they don't allow anything close to fitting. And what's worse is they only have ONE position for the radio bezel to work with it.

I can't cut my faceplate because 1) it still won't fit 2) if I make it fit, I would have to also cut the radio bezel 3) faceplates are so rare to find anyway, and what's out there are already nasty and cut up, while this is mint.

I could cut into the radio itself and get the knobs in the position needed, but that would most likely void the warrenty. I read some bad things about them failing quickly. And being the 230 model I don't know if I want to upgrade to the 630.

When I was shopping I remember seeing a different option on eBay where the knobs could very easily be adjusted, and was NOT Custom Auto Sound. Problem is, I can't find it any more and can't remember what keywords I used to find it.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Niki: If your new xmas present looks too modern, you can get one of these. Of course you need to replace the tubes every so often! :jester:
Seriously, these Smiths Radiomobile radios were the cat's meow back in the 1950's and were installed in many TR's
Hmv_vue_ens.jpg

HMV SMITHS RADIOMOBILE - CIRCA 1957
TOP - AMPLIFIER (VALVE-TYPE)
BOTTOM - TUNER
RIGHT - LOUDSPEAKER

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
PeterK said:
I think that regardless of the unit you buy, for decent sound you'll need a separate audio amplifier. The RetroSound looks like a good head unit because of it's modular design but if it were me, I'd use those 4 RCA pre-outs to a more powerful amp. There's quite a difference in sound fidelity from a more powerful amp even if it isn't cranked up.

I might decide to do that. I wasnt going to, but I suppose something small. I might be able to use the weak porsche one that came out of my husbands 928. I dont need to thump my bass, I got the mustang for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]That said, I have to ask myself how often I really listen to music in my TR. Answer is rarely.[/QUOTE]

I wasnt alive in the 60s, so the only way I know how to experience that decade is by blasting 60s british music in my 60s british car. I already know what an inline six sounds like, I have my 302 mustang if I wanna hear engine noise. But if youre not talking about preference, simply a road noise issue due to being topless, then maybe you need a bigger amp ...or new hearing aid batteries =)

KSIS said:
If you have the original, put it back in.
No radio, in fact no interior. I kinda have collected enough parts though to claim I have one, just havnt installed it yet.

angelfj said:
Niki: If your new xmas present looks too modern, you can get one of these. Of course you need to replace the tubes every so often! :jester:
Seriously, these Smiths Radiomobile radios were the cat's meow back in the 1950's and were installed in many TR's
Hmv_vue_ens.jpg

HMV SMITHS RADIOMOBILE - CIRCA 1957
TOP - AMPLIFIER (VALVE-TYPE)
BOTTOM - TUNER
RIGHT - LOUDSPEAKER

I cant put a 50s head unit in a 60s car!!! Whats wrong with you?!? =)

...may as well install white walls while Im at it =)

swift6

Yoda
UmmYeahOk said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]That said, I have to ask myself how often I really listen to music in my TR. Answer is rarely.

I wasnt alive in the 60s, so the only way I know how to experience that decade is by blasting 60s british music in my 60s british car. I already know what an inline six sounds like, I have my 302 mustang if I wanna hear engine noise. [/QUOTE]

A Triumph in-line six sounds totally different than a BMW in-line six. The Triumph sounds better. Totally different than a V8 and addictive in its own right. In fact, the Triumph I-6 has been aurally compared to the Ferrari V12s, Jaguar V12s and often edging out Jaguar I-6s with their sound quality, by more than one automotive historian.

My TR6 has no sound-system other than the exhaust. My TR8 does have quite a stereo system because it is simply a V8 bellow. Though whenever I do want to listen to that V8, I just turn down the music.

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
"A Triumph in-line six sounds totally different" - You're not kidding! :iagree: The sound from that straight six is like pure sex. My custom exhaust with a glass pack and turbo muffler make the best music. My GT6 has no radio at all, I ripped out the P.O.S. that was in there when I bought it and managed to find a NOS blanking plate. And I didn't have to do any "Creative" speaker placement either.

BTW, the place to play the British Invasion music is at the car shows, and you can use a boom box for that.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
UltimateQuestion said:
BTW, the place to play the British Invasion music is at the car shows, and you can use a boom box for that.

Boom Box?!? Thats so 80s!!! ...May as well use that 50s radio =)

The car shows I attend already play loud car-related 50s-60s songs. Unless the local Scion club pays us a visit. But thats ok, everyone just smiles and pretends theyre not there =) Havent been to a brit only or euro only show yet, at least not with the gt6, so we'll just see. All the local shows have 95% domestics, and 60% of those are muscle cars, the rest, from this century. =(

I figure I'll do what I do for my mustang and play a television ad for the gt6 thats just loud enough for passer byers to listen. Of course, unlike the mustang, I doubt that I'll need anything extra to grab their attention. I'll blast brit music as I arrive fashionably late... ...I'll finally be the one everyone stops what theyre doing/saying to witness my arrival.

UmmYeahOk said:
Retrosound needs more exposure. I didn't even hear about them until this posting. When found on eBay I didn't notice who they were. But Custom Auto Sound is all over in tv commercials on Speedvision and on the show My Classic Car. They make it seem like they're the only ones out there.

Just remembered they advertise in the Victoria British magazine... ...so I guess thats enough exposure. After all, vicky brit is owned by the same company as LMC truck, and theyre all over My Classic Car.

swift6

Yoda
Just put straight pipes with no muffler of any kind on that Triumph I-6 engine. Then rev to about 3200rpm as you enter. As the engine hits that first harmonic range the straight pipe exhaust gets really high pitched and really loud. EVERYONE will look your way and hold their ears. Even the Scion kids. Make sure you wear ear protection on the way there though. :thumbsup: :driving:

Twosheds

Darth Vader
UmmYeahOk said:
Havent been to a brit only or euro only show yet, at least not with the gt6, so we'll just see.

Be prepared for bagpipes.