• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carbon: Good vs. Bad

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi,

My engine was rebuilt about 7,500 miles ago. About 2,000 miles ago it starting producing some excess blow-by (evidenced by crankcase pressurization). I can solve this by simply removing the PCV and venting to the atmosphere.

However, I am still perplexed by what "changed" to cause this. Then I started thinking that a season or two ago I started to run a bottle of Techron through the gas tank once or twice a season.

Is it just possible the Techron removed some beneficial carbon build-up which was helping to seal the rings? I have read about this here or there but, has anyone actually seen evidence to support this theory?

Bob

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Bob. I personally don't think that with that few miles some Techron should have made <span style="text-decoration: underline">any</span> difference at all. The blow-by usually indicates issues that, sorry to say, are usually internal to the engine from what I understand. I hate to say it, but I'm guessing the rings are not seated properly for reasons totally removed from any gas additive.

Sorry. Maybe the guys with more experience will have some ideas for you that are less disappointing.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I wouldn't think that techron would do that in a motor that fresh, you'd have to build up a lot of carbon in a short time for that.
Is your motor down on power, burning appreciable oil, oil in the water possibly...

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks guys,

Not sure it is that dire. I have been noodling on this for a while and this idea (of cleaning out "good" carbon) popped into my head as a possible cause. The car is stored for the winter now and will probably do a leak down test and inspect cylinders with a bore-o-scope this spring.

The engine runs perfect in every other way. It has 172-175psi compression across all four cylinders and pulls a healthy 20" Hg vacuum. It starts, runs, idles great. Really nice power and excellent throttle response. I get ~21mpg. Plugs are dry and coolant is clean.

The only other things I suspect are:
1. bore wash from running an overly rich carb mixture for about 2000 miles
2. stuck rings caused by carbon build-up as a result of 1. above (this is why I tried the Techron in the first place)
3. my mechanic removed and "re-planed" the cylinder head a couple of years ago. I have no idea how much he took off the head but, perhaps it increased the compression ratio resulting in increased blow-by volume.

Anyone have additional thoughts on these three possibilities?

Cheers

Bob

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
When you said PCV, that became my #1 suspect. Some of those things clog up.
Even the hoses that are attached to it can get emulsified obstructions.