• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tunebug exhaust question

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Okay -- I started playing with fitting the exhaust on the Tunebug today. I have a stainless system from APT that I bought when I bought the Maniflow header last winter. I'm not terribly pleased with it so far. It's set up to go over the back axle, but I'm not entirely sure it's the best solution. Seems it may hit my parking brake rods, and the muffler doesn't seem to line up properly with the mounting stud. (This is for a 1275 in a Bugeye.)

exhaust.jpg

I'm not even quite sure how it all mounts. This is a larger pipe, so I'll need new hangers. My questions are these:

1. How does the pipe mount towards the front of the car?

2. Should I just take the car to a muffler shop and have them make me a pipe to fit.

3. If yes to #2, what do I use for a muffler?

4. Is there something else I am missing here? I'm quite ready to believe operator error here. :smile:

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi,
Not sure what version you have of the exhaust, but the stock version goes UNDER the rear axle. I would ask your vendor, David, if you have the correct item.
Scott in CA

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
If it's from APT I would trust it enough to at least try it as is- they have a pretty good rep.
BillM

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Hello,

I used an RC40 muffler off of a classic mini. The guys at swiftune in the UK say it is a good compromise between performance and noise. I used a straight pipe under the axle. The problem I have is every time I lift the car the axle sits on the pipe and pulls it down. In the spring I am going to go over the axle like you have. I have two hangars only, one on the back wall where the electric fuel pump mounts and a hangar holding the muffler output pipe, hanging off of the rear of the trunk. The clamp I used off of my 2 inch APT maniflow header is a std u shape clamp. I hate it, it gets in the way, I have been told there is some other kind of clamp that takes less room, will change that to. I am really busy today; otherwise I would post a picture. Maybe tonight if you need one.
Phil

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Drew - if you haven't had a chance to call them yet give them a ring on Monday. I'm lucky in that these guys are somewhat local so I've gotten to know them a bit, and as other have said, they are really focused on doing the right thing and honestly care about their customers. Not every part or vendor is going to be perfect, but these guys are about as close as I've seen.

My guess is that you are going to need to change the way the exhaust is located to give yourself clearance - you've probably started to sort that out already but maybe changing the height or location of the rear most hanger???

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Phil

Nice to see someone else running a RC40, I have had mine for 15 years and am very happy with it.

Pat

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I did talk with David from APT after I received this, and this is how they're doing the exhaust now. I just need to get back in there and get everything lined up. I was just a bit frustrated yesterday. :smile:

Sounds like I'll be okay with the one hanger at the rear (just forward of the axle) and the hanger for the muffler.