• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hollywood Sports Cars 3000

B

BUNDYRUM

I am looking for information on articles about the 3000 campained by Hollywood Sports Cars in the '60's I believe.
My recollection is the articles appeared in what I believe used to be Sports Car Graphic magazine.
I'd appreciate the year and month if possible so I can can continue the search for the magazines in question.

bundyrum.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
BUNDYRUM said:
I am looking for information on articles about the 3000 campained by Hollywood Sports Cars in the '60's I believe.
My recollection is the articles appeared in what I believe used to be Sports Car Graphic magazine.
I'd appreciate the year and month if possible so I can can continue the search for the magazines in question.

bundyrum.
I still have an artical about the "Healey Slugger" and will try and look it up for you this week. So much in my collection since 1971. I also have the one you specified too.
Patrick

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bundyrum, The only one I have is in the April 1962 Sports Car Graphic (volume 1, Number 12, April 1962). Article is titled "Slugger on the Dyno" by John Christy, and it starts on page 52. If you can't find a copy of the mag, let me know and I can photo-copy the article and mail it to you.

Dave

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've always been a guy that's loved sports cars, hot rods, and muscle cars. Probably explains why I'm swapping a 345 hp SBF into my BJ7. I just love how American hot rodders got involved with sports cars to work their magic. The real genius at Hollywood Sport Cars was Doane Spencer, who built one of the most iconic hot rods ever: https://www.roadsters.com/deuce/ Doane later ended up buiiding some wonderful Subeam Tigers: https://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/113_0603_1966_sunbeam_tiger/index.html Ronnie Bucknum drove he HSC Healey to some great finishes. Not every idea of how to improve a Healey came from he U.K

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bundyrum -

I spoke to Chris Vandergriff, son of Chick Vandergriff owner and operator of HSC while in Sonoma for the Wine Country Classic not long after you stopped by our pits. I've always been intrigued by the "Hollywood Healey" myself and its remarkable nineteen wins out of twenty races in 1961. Unfortunately no information was collected or saved on the cars that HSC produced and campaigned. As with most used race cars of the day once the new models came out the old ones were kicked to the curb. The only information on the HSC Healey would be period articles which I think the Sports Car Graphic pieces are the best.

Dougie

Barryp

Country flag
Hi guys, a little off topic, but I was down at my Mom's this weekend and found this HSC catalog in my Dad's racing files, there's Big Healey, MGB, and Sprite parts list inside. I hope I attached the image properly.

Barry

Attachments

• 18770.jpg
    18770.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,001
OP
B

BUNDYRUM

Hello to all that took the time to answer. I really appreciate you doing that. The reason I'm looking for the info is I have an original unused set of Huffaker triple SU manifolds and thought it would be nice to have the info that goes along with them.

Patrick67BJ8, I look forward to hearing from you.

red57, that will get me closer than I am at present, except of course for the current offers.

HealeyRick, I have to agree with at least your last line because there have also been some great ideas come out of Australia too.

dougie, I have also found that not a lot of info was saved "back in the day", sad really but that's the way it is.

Barryp, Either I don't know how to do it or something like that but I couldn't open the attachment sorry to say.

Best regards,

bundyrum.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
BUNDYRUM said:
Hello to all that took the time to answer. I really appreciate you doing that. The reason I'm looking for the info is I have an original unused set of Huffaker triple SU manifolds and thought it would be nice to have the info that goes along with them.

Patrick67BJ8, I look forward to hearing from you.

red57, that will get me closer than I am at present, except of course for the current offers.

HealeyRick, I have to agree with at least your last line because there have also been some great ideas come out of Australia too.

dougie, I have also found that not a lot of info was saved "back in the day", sad really but that's the way it is.

Barryp, Either I don't know how to do it or something like that but I couldn't open the attachment sorry to say.

Best regards,

bundyrum.
Budyrum,
How about some pictures of that Huffaker triple manifold? I have a brand new Ruddspeed for 1 3/4" SU's for L/H drive cars. I have several boxes of old mags, etc. to go through to find that those Healey articles but I'm working on it.
Patrick

OP
B

BUNDYRUM

Hello Patrick67BJ8, the pictures will take a few days as I am away from home right now. I found just about everything else I'd taken a photo of on my laptop but not those. I will have to take some more then I can try to figure out how to post them here as I've never done it before.

Besat regards,

bundyrum.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
There are threads about posting photos, I established a free account on Photobucket and uploaded photos to it. From there you can download photos to this site.

OP
B

BUNDYRUM

Hello Patrick67BJ8, I just sent you an e-mail with the photo's of the Huffaker manifolds.

bundyrum.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
BUNDYRUM said:
Hello Patrick67BJ8, I just sent you an e-mail with the photo's of the Huffaker manifolds.

bundyrum.
Got the Huffaker photos. Do you have any actual installations to share with us? The full article Six-Slug Slugger article ,in color, was sent your personal email.
Patrick

jmc948

Freshman Member
I used to religiously read the HSC prep articles in the late, great Sports Car Graphic. HSC was the pioneer in the professional preparation of British cars, and it showed; Ronnie Bucknum's HSC MGB consistently finished ahead of the Corvettes (which *really* irritated them), and once he darn near beat Ken Miles' Cobra for the overall win at Laguna Seca.

I doubt that I still have any of those magazines, but I'll paw through some boxes in the basement tomorrow and see. If I find any I'll post to this thread.

Jim

OP
B

BUNDYRUM

Hello Patrick67BJ8, I don't have them fitted to my car as that is a project for another day, amongst others.

I did however manage to pick up a copy of the relevant Sports Car Graphic magazine off eBay, What luck.

The one thing that would really make me a happier person is to get my hands on one of the original HSC catalogs but that may be a long shot but still worth hoping for.

Best regards,

bundyrum.

OP
B

BUNDYRUM

Hello to all, thank you very much for the replies. As I said I have my very own copy of the relevant SCG and have read it at least 6 times.

Eventually I hope to get a copy of an original HSC catalog, it may take some time but hopefully it will happen.

Thanks again and best regards,

bundyrum.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have an alloy valve cover that's a bit unusual looking. I have only seen one other like it, and that was on a Healey 3000 racecar in the Midwest. My recollection is that I saw a similar one on an engine, in an article about the HSC Healey. Does anyone have that article with a picture of that engine?

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Do you mean this picture of the HSC 3 litre motor on the dyno?

Dougie