• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leaking Heater Water Control Valve

Magyar

Country flag
Has anybody messed with the heater water control valve for a 1275 engine? Mine is leaking at the stem and at the bottom where the valve screws into the flange. There is no apparent leak where the flange bolts onto the head. Is it typical to just repair/repack the valve stem and do something to seal the bottom of the valve where it screws into the flange or is it better to get a new one from MOSS? They run around $35 to $40, so that's not a big deal, but sometime the replacement product is worse than the bad original. That is not ment to be a slam on MOSS, just that after market parts are not always what they could be. The valve I am talking about is shown on page 20, Ill. No. 9 in the MOSS Spring/Summer 2009 Cat. Any experence with this?

Thanks

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I'm sure the replacement is a cheap chinese reproduction with a life expectancy of about a month, maybe 2 if your lucky.
There were a few different heater valves, some had a rope packing like old house faucets, others had a small O ring.
Both parts are available from the local hardware store for pennys, just takes yours apart and bring the stem with you to fit the O ring.
The base plates tend to corrode, 30 seconds on a belt sander will sand out the pits as long as the threads are not corroded away.
And a common garden hose washer under the valve at the base will cure any leak there. Make sure it is a quality rubber hose washer, watch out for those chinese washers, they only last about a month like all chinese rubber for some reason.

OP
Magyar

Magyar

Country flag
Thank You Spritenut. That is just the information I was looking for. I have recently purchased some parts and they were very dissapointing in regards to the quality. I would much rather rebuild an old part, if possible. I just didn't want to tear into it until I had some insurance that I wouldn't distroy it.

Thanks again for the info.
Magyar

cdsmith

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Just so you know...

I've had my valve off a couple of times and I don't think mine was one of the "rebuildable" types...

I have had success with fixing the leak where it screws into the base plate - I ended up using a little Silicone RTV Black on the threads. The base plate also had a slight leak - it was fixed with a new (home-made) gasket and some of the afore mentioned RTV.

Hope this helps.
cd

OP
Magyar

Magyar

Country flag
Yep, cd. I did the fix on the base plate to the head with gasket material and the wondrous silicone. Thanks for the heads-up that there may be some valves types that may not be rebuildable.

Thanks
Magyar