• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Spitfire emergency brake assembly - need photos

Dono

Hi All,
Assembling the emergency brake system to my restoring 71 Spit. I have the parts, just can't see in any catalog nor Manual how the rear cable attaches to the frame. From the emer brake handle there is a cable that runs back to a cable, running thru the U-shaped part. Then each end attaches to the brake, but supporting return spring and brackets must attach to the frame or body. Anyone have a couple photo closeups at the rear brake drum, center view, and inside the body?
Thanx, Don Missoula, MT djlorenzen@msn.com

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Spitfire emergency brake assembly - need photo

The rearmost hand brake cable does not attach to the frame. The cable runs through guides on each side of the body, and through that horseshoe shaped equalizer in the middle. In order to get the cable to run through the body guides, you need to remove the nuts and brackets on the end of the cable and thread it through on each side of the body guides.

Have a look at the attached. After threading the rear cable through the body guides and centre-pull guide, you put the brackets back on as shown, and the end pinch-bracket (number 16 in the diagram) attaches to the rear brake actuating lever that is part of the rear brake cylinder. The L-shaped bracket (20) is held between two adjusting nuts, and the spring (12) attaches to it and to the brake backplate.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 15726.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 150
OP
D

Dono

Ross - this is perfect. Really helps. One more question; does the center cable juncture attach to the body? Something has to support the pivot arm, that then pulls on the cable as shown in the drawing you sent. Thanks! Don

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Yes. The front cable (that attaches to the handbrake arm) is connected to a lever that is attached to the body with a bolt. I can't quite recall where it mounts now, but I think it should bolt to the underside of the body, just in front of the differential.

That lever is connected to a u-shaped equalizer (or compensator it may be called), that the rear brake cable loops through. I think the only bolt that actually attaches the brake cable assemblies to the body of the car is that one pivot-lever bolt.

Send me a PM and I will send you a page from the Leyland manual that should help. Its from a 1500 but should be pretty much the same at the back end.