• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheel bearing replacement question

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Hi folks,

Ok, I've got the hub off, no problem.

Haynes says "Carefully tap out the tapered distance piece and outer bearing with a suitable drift"

I've got a wooden dowel that is pressing against the inner ring of the outer bearing. I've tried tapping but no joy. I'm about to increase the "tapping" with a BFH but thought to check with you guys before proceeding.

Cheers, Adrian

Hub1.jpg

Hub2.jpg

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Treat the outer race to a dose of penetrating oil like Kroil and then take a whack at it. It should be a light press fit so it will take some effort to drive it out. You're quite likely to break that wooden drift even it it's hardwood, so be prepared. Eventually I'd look for a nice piece of brass rod stock to use for this type work where you don't want to cause any marks on the surrounding parts.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I just used a big screwdriver and a BFH.

I'm 95% sure there is a slot that you can get a screwdriver in to pound on the bearing

actually there are two slots 180° apart. these allow you to tap out the bearing using a drift. a drift is a better tool than a screw driver to pound on, safer too. Using the slots also lets you tap on the outer race, not the inner, less likely to damage the bearings that way.

mark

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Outer race is the key.

OP
bigjones

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
OK guys, thanks for the comments. Bill, you were right about the dowel!
I'm at this stage now - that is the outer bearing, without the outer race. What next? (sorry for the dumbass questions) Jones.
OuterBearing.jpg

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Look inside with a flash light for the outer race. drive it out with a suitable drift and hammer.

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Now look at the outer side of the large race and from the inside you should see a notch on opposite sides of the hub, just large enough to get the edge of your drift onto the edge of the outer race, then drive it out a couple of taps on one side then the other. It will eventually pop out. Then the same for the inner bearing using the notches in the hub for it as well. To install the new bearings you'll need a driver that fits the outer race of each bearing, don't want to drive on the inner races at that can damage the bearings. If you buy the bearings locally the part store can probably press them in for you at very little charge, or any auto machine shop can do as well. Probably better than driving them in unless you are experienced and know how to avoid damaging the bearings.

Attachments

• 15347.jpg
    15347.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 245

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Using a socket of the same or nearly same diameter as the outer race will allow the bearing to be tapped, gently, gently, into the hub. Used this method many times witout dire results.

OP
bigjones

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
OK folks. Thanks again.

Everything is out - here are some shots of the grooves where you fit in your drift, as explained.
Grooves3.jpg

Grooves1.jpg

One more question. Which end of the new bearing goes in first - I'm thinking it is the end as shown in blue on the right:
WhichSideFirst.jpg

OP
bigjones

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Yo Hairyone!

Unfortunately there is no markings on the bearing. (Probably to stop me coming after the manufacturer when they disintegrate after 10 miles)

(Oh yeah, another question: which way round for the grease seal - spring on the outside?)

Bag.jpg

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
bigjones said:

<span style="font-size: 11pt">Wow! All the way around the world for this set of bearings...

AT LEAST they were<span style="font-weight: bold"> "ASSEMBLED IN ENGLAND"</span> !! </span>

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Spring on the outside - take the spring out - insert the seal - reinstall spring. Otherwise you will smash the spring - don't ask me how I know

OP
bigjones

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Kevin,

Yeah, I wasn't going to make any comments.

John Twist's video is for the MGB - tapered roller bearing. The Aussie newsletter, while very interesting, doesn't tell you which way round.

I guess I could put them in the way the old ones were but possibly the PO didn't put them in the right way round.

Cheers, Adrian

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
I asked this same question in a thread about 22 pages back...GrahamP uploaded a pic that he got from someone else, so I'll reference it too and keep it circulatin'.
grin.gif

bearings.jpg

Best illustration I've seen that breaks it right on down.

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
bigjones said:
Kevin,

Yeah, I wasn't going to make any comments.

John Twist's video is for the MGB - tapered roller bearing. The Aussie newsletter, while very interesting, doesn't tell you which way round.

I guess I could put them in the way the old ones were but possibly the PO didn't put them in the right way round.

Cheers, Adrian

Sorry Adrian,
I was just offering these as supplemental info. Not to answer the "which way" question.
It has been awhile since I last did this, but I seem to remember that there WAS a right way & wrong way. I can't remember which was which right now... Of course the right way absorbs lateral loads better...
I'll dig to see if I can find an answer for you...
-Bear-