• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Other Cars Forum

rovernut

Jedi Trainee
I come to this site for information and to talk about my Brit car..........I,ve put up with talk of Porsches, Ferraris and some other nice cars ......None of which ARE BRITISH........I,ve even listened to a fellow member extol the virtues of buying a SKODA..Yikes.........I should have spoke up then but bit my lip till today...........Now its a Chevy Astro van ..........Its a frikkin truck pretending to be a minivan..........In other cars i figured we,d have OTHER BRIT CARS.............PLease no more..........I can,t take it.............I may have to join a Chevy site to talk about my Brit car.................Just a rant ..........No offence meant

Bill Robertson
Proud Rover owner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

Carlover325

You can talk about your British car in one of the British car forums. After all, this is the "Other Cars" forum where you can talk about non-British cars. Or if you want, start a topic about the car you want to talk about.

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
You can talk about your British car in one of the British car forums. After all, this is the "Other Cars" forum where you can talk about non-British cars. Or if you want, start a topic about the car you want to talk about.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif Great point.

Besides I really like the “Other Car” forum. It is a great place for us BFC'ers to assess other vehicles or simply make fun of them.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'm guessing that Bas originally thought "Other Cars" would likely be used for British cars other than those given their own forums like Jensen, Lotus, Daimler, etc.

Since it's not specifically called "Other British Cars" I'd say it's fair game.

Maybe I'll talk about my Rodeo. It's a Japanese car made in Indiana and sold in England as a Vauxhall.

PC.

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
<<SNIP>>

Maybe I'll talk about my Rodeo. It's a Japanese car made in Indiana and sold in England as a Vauxhall.

PC.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK with me - since I'm renting one this week and have a few comments to share if you want?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
rovernut said: ...I,ve even listened to a fellow member extol the virtues of buying a SKODA..

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that post (if it bothered you) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I think most of my posts in here relate to British cars that don't quite fit into the forums, or at the very least other interesting import cars of interest.

I feel the balance overall has been good in Other Cars forum, as I feel many members have some degree of interest in other interesting non-British import cars (ie. Fiat Spider, Datsun Fairlady roadster, ummm... Skodas as well).

However, hopefully no disrespect to one of our newest members, I feel a discussion about the virtues of a Chev Astro mini van don't really fit into the spirit of British Car Forum.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Since it's not specifically called "Other British Cars" I'd say it's fair game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. This forum is for Other cars. They don't necessarily have to be British. I have talked about my wife's Miata here for example. In most cases you can tell what a post is about from the title of the post. I don't mean to sound trite, but if it's not something you're interested in then don't click on the link to read it.

The Great Oz has spoken

PS: Note I changed the topic subject to something a bit more descriptive that Arrrggggghhhhh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
"However, hopefully no disrespect to one of our newest members, I feel a discussion about the virtues of a Chev Astro mini van don't really fit into the spirit of British Car Forum."

How about BMW paint in the Sunbeam forum?

Carlover325

[ QUOTE ]
"However, hopefully no disrespect to one of our newest members, I feel a discussion about the virtues of a Chev Astro mini van don't really fit into the spirit of British Car Forum."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry about talking about the Chevy Astro but that has been bugging me for the last 3 years. And I don't feel offended or disrespected, you are entitled to your opinion. But, at least I didn't talk about Chevy Astro vans in the Jaguars forum.

OP
rovernut

rovernut

Jedi Trainee
WOW Really hit the nerve this time LOL............I have no problem with anyone talking about other cars.........I do think that in A Britishcar forum though that other cars pertained to all other Brit models, which even included the Leyland buses ..........I put it out there to see the reaction i would get .......NOT to offend anyone nor discourage their posts..........If you can get someone here to give info to help you on your Astrovan or whatever all the better for you and all who frequent here........The more informed people are the better off we,ll all be..........Keep all your posts coming .......I love them all

Happy Rovering

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, how about that! He's gone! Buh-bye! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
I don't see a problem with discussing other cars in a forum called "other cars". I will admit the thread about the Chevy Van seemed a bit inappropriate at first, but it turned out to be interesting and when I think about it, a change of scenery is nice once in a while. I'm sure the spirit of the thread is to talk about other British cars which do not have their own forum but I also see no harm in discussing any type of car. After all, if you don't like th etitle of the thread, you don't have to click on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric

Jedi Warrior
I enjoy reading about other people's car interests. There is a subset of LBC nuts who are interested in oddball vehicles of many kinds. On my "if I won the lottery list" I have an Amphicar, an Austin Atlantic, a Messerschmidt bubble car and a Fiat 850 coupe. I'll probably never own any of them, but its fun to read about them. If I'm not interested in (for example) Chevy Gastro vans or Toyota Coronaries, I just don't click the link.

The world is too full of interesting oddities to be a purist and miss out on it all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

MattP

Jedi Knight
Amen. I kinda see it as layers. I am a car buff, who particularly likes British cars, more specifically Austin-Healeys and directly Bugeyes. But life would be just too boring if Bugeyes were all there were.

For instance my ideal tow vehicle would be a 57 Chevy 4 door wagon with the 283 and an EFI kit. And some time I would like to restore a Model T.

And like Eric. If I don't want to read, I don't click.

V

vagt6

Basil, does your post above infer that Bruce Bowker has been kicked off, or blocked from the Forum for the ". . . BMW/Sunbeam" statement?

Please, say it ain't so!!

MattP

Jedi Knight
Naw, he's talking about the guy that posted the post Bruce was talking about. 3 posts all referring to the website of some paint company. Oooo wouldn't see through that spam. He's gone, but Bruce should still be with us.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Bas, you need to change the title back.

I just realized I'm having a philosophical conversation with a fellow car nut that wasn't even born last time I actually drove an Astro. I'm getting old! Arrrggggghhhhh!

PC.

Ken G

Jedi Hopeful
I have been waiting for months if not years for someone to complain about the subject matter on this forum. I have to say I took it to mean British cars other than those with their own forums, but I can see that "other cars" could be otherwise interpreted. Basil, how about splitting this into "other British cars" and "non-British cars". I think that ought to satisfy everyone.

I like this "quick reply" box, that gets away from the clutter and mess of the demons (why "daemons?")

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (San Francisco)