Thread: mgb Hardtop

mgb Hardtop

found 2 Midgets and a hard top for an MGB- I know the back window onthe top is broken. Trying to go look this weekend. wants $1,000. for both Midgets & one is supposed to run. i HAVE 43 CARS INCLUDING 2 mIDGETS- DOWN SIZING IS ON MY ADJENDA- WILL TAKE PICTURES & FIND OUT ABOUT THE TOP. iNTREST?????? rANDI
    Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows. Randi C. Lee/mgamaggieR

Chats

Re: mgb Hardtop

I'm in the process of restoring just such a hardtop - back glass was actualy plexi, needed fiberglass repair, side window replacement, etc., etc.

Don't offer over $100 for the hardtop!

& you don't want to know how much I'll have in mine when it's finished!
    <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="color: #006600"> Tony &quot;theAutoist&quot; Barnhill</span></span></span></span></span>

Freshman Member
    Chats

When I got my car it came with a hardtop. I was told it was a "factory" top. How can you tell if it is aftermarket or factory? I don't recall any markings on it from a manufacturer.

Since I have never used mine, and never expect to, I was thinking I would put it up for sale but thought I should be more certain of the origins.

Thanks

Don

Chats

Post a photo &amp; I can tell.
    <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="color: #006600"> Tony &quot;theAutoist&quot; Barnhill</span></span></span></span></span>

Quote Originally Posted by dons66
    When I got my car it came with a hardtop. I was told it was a "factory" top. How can you tell if it is aftermarket or factory?
    The first photos are factory MGB tops. http://www.mgnuts.com/hardtops (huge page update coming soon)

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by tony barnhill
    Don't offer over $100 for the hardtop!

&amp; you don't want to know how much I'll have in mine when it's finished!
    I restored my Midget's hardtop last winter and it ended up way over budget.
    <span style="font-size: 8pt">Steve
    Central Iowa</span>

Freshman Member
    Chats

Using Steve's photo compilation. I do have a factory top.

Is $100 what they are worth? Mine woul need work to make it to show condition. Has spiderwebbing and chips in the gelcoat. All the glass is good though.

Thanks

Don

Chats

At $100 I'd grab it.

Colin

There was an almost new factory hardtop with hardware in Huntsville. I dont know if she sold it or not.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by gilmgbgt
    There was an almost new factory hardtop with hardware in Huntsville. I dont know if she sold it or not.
    She wanted way too much for it!

Quote Originally Posted by dons66
    Is $100 what they are worth? Mine woul need work to make it to show condition. Has spiderwebbing and chips in the gelcoat. All the glass is good though.
    If the gelcoat needs repair, you're gonna sink $750 into it easily - &amp; that's without new weatherstripping or anything else! &amp; that's about all a perfect one is worth!

&amp; the last one I redid that needed gelcoat work came to #1,500 when all was said &amp; done....the one I'm working on now will also be in that price range - can you say "getting upside down on them"?