• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Midget Wheel Spacers

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Scott. Do you intend to use the longer stock-diameter studs? (or are you using the bigger diameter studs?)

The reason I'm asking is:

I had 3/8" spacers on the rear of mine (to prevent the Hoosiers from rubbing against the rear leaf springs) but I just used the longer stock studs from a Mini-Cooper. Apparently, some of these longer studs aren't as good as they used to be (when they were made in the UK).
I cracked two and lost a rear wheel as a result.
If you're using the bigger diameter studs, this should be no problem.

Winner circle sell the 7/16 comp wheels studs, that I and many other have raced on for years, they also have very nice wheel spacer in most thickness.

OP
B

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
Yes Nial Already using 7/16 studs from WC. (Very long Acvtually) I Remember hearing you losing that wheel. Im think Ill actually wait til I get the tires mounted as the Hossiers have a larger section width just to be sure 1/2" will do it but Im almost certain it will.

Nial Ive also heard that without using a competitioon stud, you should not use larger than a 1/4 spacer because the further you push the wheel out, the more torgue your putting on the wheel studs.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I think with the 7/16 studs, you'll be fine...even with 1/2" thick spacers.

Are you heading to Summit this weekend? If so, have fun! (I think ChrisS will be there too). I know Charlie (Entropy Racing) and Wreckerboy and Wreckergirl (Rob and Jean) will be there.

By the way, EMRA has a new board as of last weekend.
Bob Kress (yellow Golf) and Marty Barnett (hubby has a white BMW) are the new Chair and Treasurer. Both great folks. New VP, RaceChair and TT Chairs are good folks too.
Many of us are glad to see the former Chair and Treasurer leaving.
Hope things will now return to normal with the club.
If things get back to normal, I'll see you at some events in '09.

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
Scott, I ran 7/16 studs and 1/2" spacers on my Spridget for years with no problems. That's with the cantilevered slicks. I'll be out to the shop on Saturday and I'll check to see if I have a couple of 1/2" spacers hanging around unused. If so there yours for cost of shipping.

OP
B

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
David, Awsome. Let me know. Nial, thats good news. I'd love to make Summit this weekend, unfortunattally I have surpassed my spending for the car for now. New wheels, Quafie, and tires hopefully on the way soon. Plus I'd like to add some other things over the winter (like and additional Nascar type door bar on the drivers side and what not. So summits not in the card s for me this year. I plan to either do a full season of Time Trials next year or work on my race liscence and start that up. Didnt see any ST7 cars out at the few events I made it to (Except Peter) so hopefully we'll see some of you next year.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
blkcorvair said:
....I have surpassed my spending for the car for now....

I know *that* feeling! :yesnod:

By the way, here something to think about:
~VRG~ will run their Spring driver's school at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in mid-May of '09. Since it's early in the season, folks bring non-vintage cars for the race school (such as Miatas). Your car would be fine. One weekend and you have a vintage race license (if you have no crashes, etc).
EMRA will recognise a VRG race license, I'm sure.
It's a ~Great Weekend~ with <span style="text-decoration: underline">lots</span> of LBCs, first-rate track and facilities and a bargain price (if you pre-enter).
The school is <span style="text-decoration: underline">good</span> too....not just bs.

Just food for thought....

With my HP car that had Spridgetech bodywork on it and 5.5" Revolution wheels, I ran the WC 7/16 studs,and thier 1" spacers, and never had a issue with it, the backspacing on my wheels were 3.5" if that help.

OP
B

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
Nial that sounds great. Im so tempted to build another Midget without the bodywork to run Vintage. It may be in the future.

Hap thanks. I picked up a set of Kodiak wheels (From Kendall HP Sprite) Like Brand new. Only 8 lbs a wheel. 13X6 with 3.5 bs and same 7/16 studs. My steel wheels w/ 3" bs give me 3/4" clearance to my spring with Toyo DOT's which run a section width of 7.8. Im grabbing a set of Hoosier R6 Dot's for the new wheels with a section width of 8.2. So the 1/2" spacer should give me about 3/8-1/2 clearance. So they should be good to go.

Nial I just noticed that you radius'd those rear arches. You know I wonder if I could get some quarters off another midget and an other set of fenders that I can bolt on and swap with all my fiberglass stuff to run vintage. I dont think they like through bars from the cage into the eng. comp. either though.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
blkcorvair said:
....Nial I just noticed that you radius'd those rear arches. You know I wonder if I could get some quarters off another midget and an other set of fenders that I can bolt on and swap with all my fiberglass stuff to run vintage. I dont think they like through bars from the cage into the eng. comp. either though.

No one at VRG seems to care that my car has non-standard radiused rear fenders....I think it's a non-issue.
Yeah, if you rigged up rear quarters that were held on with Dzuz fasteners, you'd have a dual-purpose car. As you know, the front fenders are easy to swap out.
The bars into the engine compartment are no problem for VRG. They're very flexible with stuff like that.
I doubt that SVRA or HSR would object to that either.
VSCCA would not allow it, but they are super-fussy and do not allow cars newer than '59 anyhow.

OP
B

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
My Spridgettech fenders are simply installed with 1/4-20's and nutserts. Im sure I can find a cheap donor car to cut the 1/4's off of and match to them same holes. Now you got me thinking. Was wondering what I was to do this winter...

DSCN1281.jpg

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Scott--

In keeping with current bailout philosophy I am here to help--just send me that recently-acquired Quaife....

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Ah, Mr. Oritt, you are such a generous soul! :laugh:

Scott:
I didn't realize they attached like that. Makes it easier than I thought. Even if you just got a cobby set of rear fenders you'd be In Like Flynn!

It's good for us guys to have a Winter project. Keeps us out of trouble.....sort of.... :wink:

OP
B

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
aeronca65t said:
Ah, Mr. Oritt, you are such a generous soul! :laugh:

It's good for us guys to have a Winter project. Keeps us out of trouble.....sort of.... :wink:

"sort of" my wife would disagree. I think she'd rather see me on the couch with the remote and a beer and more money in my pocket.

OP
B

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
Michael Oritt said:
Scott--

In keeping with current bailout philosophy I am here to help--just send me that recently-acquired Quaife....

You dont want it really. I mean its already in the back of some silver midget covered in some slimy fresh gear oil. :whistle: