• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Which Volvo engine fits in an MGTD?

Steve P.

Jedi Hopeful
I've got a chance to pick up a rough MGTD sans engine
and transmission. Even though I really shouldn't, I'm
considering this as another project.

I remember hearing years ago that the engine/trans
from a certain model Volvo was a drop in replacement
for the XPAG. Can anyone confirm this, and tell me
which model Volvo I should be looking for? TIA

Steve

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh for crying out loud do not screw up a TD. Please.

Still looking for one localy.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
The common Volve swap into the TDs of the era came from the Volvo P444 or 544 in 1.4, 1.6, or 1.8 liter form. They're not a "bolt in" per se, but fit very well and you probably could do it in such a way that the car would be returnable to original if you wanted. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_PV
If you must I'd go for the later 1.8 unit from a post 62 P544 which was a 12 volt system so you wouldn't have to change the starter etc.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I like original cars as much as the next guy, but the Volvo lump uses SUs as I recall, so doesn't look totally alien in the TD engine compartment. Also give a nice boost in power without pumping it up so much that it would be scary to drive without improvements to brakes, tires and suspension.

We had a Red TD with Volvo engine win people's choice for best in show at our all british show with 70 plus cars in attendence this year, so a few people must be OK with it (or just clueless)

Greg

RickB

Yoda
I used to have a Volvo 122 Amazon with the 1.8 litre and twin SU's.
I also had my 69 MGB at the same time with the same engine configuration, they looked very much alike and performed about equal IIRC.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'm with Steve and Jack. Put her back to stock. You can find one...really!

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Guys, I'm with you to a point about restoring it to original, but as Steve said it's missing both the engine and trans and I'd bet the driveshaft as well. If he can do a Volvo transplant without doing any damage then he could have a nice little driver while he looks around for the original driveline components and gets those rebuilt. I know I'd rather be driving a Volvo/TD than collecting parts while it sat in my garage. A good friend of mine has a TD with a Volvo engine and it worked out nicely, no mods that couldn't be easily returned to stock. I've also seen a TF with a little Ford as well, another clean swap without any cutting.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
i say go for it! If MGB owners can put a V8 in then why not a Volvo in a TD? I have driven stock "T" cars and i do not like them...Its your nickel,spend it as you see fit. As long as its still on the road....NOW go drag that sucker home. Bob

OP
Steve P.

Steve P.

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for the comments and info. I should clarify a
few things. This TD is just a rolling chassis with
the body tub and little else. No fenders, radiator, gas tank,
etc. While I have a few of these items, it'd be a big deal to get everything. The big problem is there
is no title. Yeah, it'd be nice to try to restore it
back to original condition, but I've already got
an dead nuts original (unrestored) MGTD.

* IF someone is willing to restore this back to
original, I'll be happy to pass it on to you *
Seller is asking $750, and its located just north
of San Francisco. Drop me an e-mail at
zarco@sonic.net if you want this.

I've seen a number of pics of TD's with modified
bodies, and that was what I had in mind. The Volve
engine/trans would be inexpensive, but period correct
for a highly modified TD.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
I wish I was a lot closer, but even at that price it's too far from KC to Frisco. Sounds like the makings of a great little vintage racer runabout. Add some cycle fenders and you're off. I think you'll love it. I'm pretty sure that back in the early 60s there were probably several of these racing out on the coast at places like Torry Pines, etc.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They are always so far away.

Steve_S

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]...while he looks around for the original driveline components and gets those rebuilt. I know I'd rather be driving a Volvo/TD than collecting parts while it sat in my garage.[/QUOTE]There's no reason to think that it would take more time to collect and rebuild the TD parts than it would to collect and rebuild the Volvo parts.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Steve_S said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]...while he looks around for the original driveline components and gets those rebuilt. I know I'd rather be driving a Volvo/TD than collecting parts while it sat in my garage.
There's no reason to think that it would take more time to collect and rebuild the TD parts than it would to collect and rebuild the Volvo parts. [/QUOTE]

iagree.gif
Amen to that!

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
My thought was that it would probably be easier to find an old Volvo in the bone yard than to find any part of a TD. One good donor car would set him up with the drive train, it might take months or years to source a TD engine and transmission along with all the other parts needed. I just checked craigslist and there is a listing for various Volvo 544 parts in Santa Rosa listed now. That's pretty easy to find compared to TD parts.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bill's correct....I know where there's an old TD sitting in a cornfield but the guy thinks its restorable....has good fenders, complete engine/drivetrain but it'll need total rebuild.

swift6

Yoda
I know of a few TD's that have had the engines and transmissions pulled and replaced with an MGB engine and five speed transmission. The shop that did that still has the TD engines and transmissions as far as I know. The problem of finding the TD donor parts could be solved with a phone call or email. The parts are not THAT hard to find.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Shawn, you're right I suppose Motorbill has a couple. I'm LOL about that though, the thought that someone might install a Volvo engine is horrible, but I guess it's ok to install an MGB 1800 since it's "in the family". Personally I don't care, I'd rather see the cars on the road and being enjoyed than rusting away in some field. I went down this same road with the Ford Model A guys and the street rodders years ago, there were enough cars for both and I'm sure you can still find unrestored Model As around the country that no one has adopted.

swift6

Yoda
Yep, Motorbill's shop is the shop I'm talking about. The TD's that have had that treatmnet are LBC HotRods in a sense. Those TD's can cruise at 80mph at 5,000 feet in altitude and have no problems keeping up with traffic climbing mountain passes anymore. Especially the ones that also have MGB front and rear suspensions. Disc brakes up front and friendlier gear ratios for the MGB engine.