• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Question about ignition wiring unique to 1980 MGB

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
In the last few weeks I've burnt up two coils in my 1980MGB. Now that the hubby has had time to reflect he has came up with some conclusions, some thoughts, and of of course some questions. He is thinking that the last coil burnt up because my Brothers were going by the Bentley "1978 & Later MGB" and the Haynes electrical diagrams -- both of which he is sure is not correct for an 80 MGB when they replaced a coil for me.
<span style="text-decoration: underline">
<span style="font-style: italic">Interesting Fact and quote from Moss:</span></span> "The original Lucas "Opus" electronic ignition used from 1975 to 1979 featured the ignition amplifier mounted on the distributor body. As this system proved unreliable, <span style="font-weight: bold">it was replaced in 1980 with the CEI system, which used a remote amplifier".</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">What The Hubby Thinks: </span> </span>

1. The green white wire from the starter solenoid does not come into play even though it was left over in the harness from the previous years. Not needed because the coil uses 12 volts all the time.
2. No distributor resistor comes into play.
3. The resistive ballast wire does not come in to play even though it was left over in the harness from the previous years.
4. The coil positive side is fed from the whit wire at the ignition and not the ignition relay. If it is fed from the ignition relay there is enough voltage feedback when the key is turned off that the engine will continue to run.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">What The Hubby Knows :</span> </span>

1. The ignition circuit is completely different that that shown in the late MGB schematics.
2. There are only two wires feeding the electronic (amplifier) on the 80 and they are a white and a white/black wire.
3. The 80 model year can be distinguished very easy because it has a remote amplifier with the coil mounted on top of it.
4. There are two wires, a red and a green, which feed the distributor from the amplifier.
<span style="font-style: italic">Questions For You The Experts:</span></span> Is the hubby right with what he thinks and what he knows? Has anyone ever drawn a schematic to show correctly the ignition wiring of an 80 MGB? I hope this post makes sense and is not to long and boring.

Your turn :smile:

terriphill

Darth Vader
OK, Naomi....having just fought this battle with our 1980 B...
WHen we got it the ignition had been bypassed and a push button start added...so....

we added an electronic ignition and new ignition switch. We pulled the entire harness because we thought it was the wrong one for our car...it just needed some tweaking.

The first picture is the solenoid...the red and black on the front are from the coil.
The black and white and green and white are from the starter.

We cut and taped off those other wires because they were no longer needed with the electronic igntion.

I don't know if ours is "right" for an 80 B, but when I trun the key it fires up. We played heck getting any pictures that resembled what we had underr our hood.

Maybe these will help

Attachments

• 12739.jpg
    12739.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 597
  • 12740.jpg
    12740.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 496
OP
N

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
Thank you so much for the pictures and message! It is odd how the 80MGB is wired and I do hope others will pipe in and we can see the different ways the 80 model are wired and if anyone has a period correct one. Thanks again :smile:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
sign0175.gif

If this is it,
1980ignamp.jpg
Hard to believe the cost is over $300.00

OP
N

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
Re: Question about ignition wiring unique to 1980

That doesn't look exactly like it. I have pictures but when I try to post them I get a message that they are to large and I don't know how to downsize them :frown:

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag

For what it's worth (IMHO):

We just went through this mess with a '78. Take that piece of junk out of your poor car and replace it with the older style 25D distributor. It's simpler and it works.

I wish someone had been bold enough to tell me this initially!

Call Jeff at Advanced Distributors. You'll be glad you did, <span style="text-decoration: underline">AND</span> it will cost you less than the replacement electronic module

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Naomi said:
That doesn't look exactly like it. I have pictures but when I try to post them I get a message that they are to large and I don't know how to downsize them :frown:

Use this, it's free and was recommended by a fellow BCF'er.

PixResizer

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Hi, Na - glad to see you.....looks like you're getting lots of help...I don't have an '80 to take photos of but I can agree with contacting Jeff - or, as an option, install a new Pertronix distributor from Moss.

{Oh, for those of you who don't know Naomi...she's a Virginia mountain girl who drives the 'you know what' out of her MG's & who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty working on them...she's finally convinced Bill (who's retired & just wants to fish) to help her out with her cars....we need to help her solve the problem so she'll stay over here!}

Hi Naomi, you still have the Fiat, or did you manage to sell it?

jessebogan

Jedi Knight

Just a tip for those with the 80 style ignition. If the amp fails (rare) if you open it up, there is a GM (General Motors) HEI "chip" inside. A good parts store can cross over the number for you and the new GM part is cheap!! I am told, but have never verified, that the original GM chips are best, with the correct dwell.... The last one I bought was for a Jaguar, and was less than 50 bucks.

terriphill

Darth Vader

Naomi,
After looking at that piece, I know that ours doesn't have one. so, I guess the pics aren't much help. It was such a mess when we got it that we pulled the harness and dash and steering column wiring and reworked it all by tracing wires with a wiring diagram, I guess I got lucky cause it may not be right, but it runs great!
Can't wait to get some wheels and rubber underneath so we can get it out of the garage...November will be one year and I generally like to say,"it only took us a year to get it running."

OP
N

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful

Hey thanks a bunch folks and sorry I didn't introduce myself in the original post. Tony is right about one thing --- I do drive the daylights out of my B's and have just returned from a real Virginia mountain trip. Our B's are wonderful cars and I've owned em for decades --- well ever since I was sixteen.

Thanks again and I always know where to turn to for "expert advice and fun folks".

Oh, the Fiat is history -- sold it - and one of the most happy days of my life whe I saw it being driven away !!!! :smile: :smile:

cashs6t8mgc

Freshman Member

This is an old thread but I just recently started to revive a 1980 rust-free barn find my son-in-law rescued. The car has been dormant for 8 years or so. So far I repaired the ignition switch wiring, that had been cut and poorly spliced, changed the oil and filter and spun the engine to 50 psi oil pressure. In checking the ignition, I found that the original 1980 only distributor has been replaced by a brand new points type distributor, It has apparently never actually worked. The interior of the dizzy is bright and shiny and the cam follower wiper is clean and oil free as is the shaft lubricator batting. All of this is to try to find the best way of making the retro distributor work. The PO apparently thought the enhanced spark amplifier should be connected to the neg post on the coil, so the neg post has two wires, one from the amplifier and one that goes to the points on the dizzy. After reading this thread, I've decided to disconnect the amplifier and give it a try. Any comments?

cashs6t8mgc

Freshman Member

I removed the wiring between the coil and enhanced spark module. Achieved spark at the points.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If you have trigger at the points, you should be good to go. Rig the coil and plug wires, static time the beast and go for a spin!