• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

dirtbill

Freshman Member
Hello fellow Triumph owners:

I just picked up a very nice 76 TR6 (non overdrive), put about 500 miles on it and so far so good. It's got 78K and about a four year old body job (very good) with original colour yellow paint. Mostly new interior (except for the dash), good frame and running gear in very good order. Motor has been rebuilt and runs strong, has triple webers and header installed but single exhaust? I'll have plenty of weber questions later but here is the immediate issue:

A new wiring harness has been fitted and mostly connected, but the non essential connections are dangling under the dash and other places. I've starting tracing wires for the non working items (reverse lights, horns etc) I have the Bentley manual and have downloaded the wiring diagram everyone refers to here. Neither seems to agree with the car.

For example, the flasher relay should be in the driver's footwell (for left hand drive) according to the Bentley manual but its in the passenger well. Horn wires should terminate on the driver's side behind the wheel well, but in fact can be found on the passenger side.

Inside the engine compartment on the drive's side inner fender are two stacked relays, the top should be for overdrive the bottom the horn, in a non-overdrive car why would wires be connected to the overdrive relay (in fact why would there be relay at all), the horm wires when traced backwards connect to both relays?

Are these anomolies normal or do I have a frankenstein car?

Sorry to be so long winded.

Thanks

Bill

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bill, what you need to do is find one of the MANY (I think they breed there) Ontario owners of TR6's. Compare notes and locations.Good Luck

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome Bill!

We're big on pictures around here since it makes diagnosis easier and is generally fun. No worries if you don't have them, but if you can post pictures it can help.

Sounds like you have yourself a good car!

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
What is the commission number on the car? If it has an O as a suffix, it had OD once.

OP
D

dirtbill

Freshman Member
Thanks, you guys are fast!

I've got some pics, soon as I figure out how to post them I will.

CF 52673 U, non overdrive.

Thanks

Bill

OP
D

dirtbill

Freshman Member
Here is first picture of the stacked relays:

Attachments

• 12694.jpg
    12694.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 277

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Welcome and hang around a while. Your fellow Canadians will appear shortly.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Well, first of all, the man has great taste in his choice of colors, so he's a natural for this forum.

Secondly, he figured out how to post pictures properly to the forum on his third posting. That alone qualifies him for major engine repair!!!

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha and welcome to the forum. Great looking car. If you are not a member now, I would suggest you join either a Triumph or British Car Club in your area. There is a section on the forum that allows you to search for other member's car club. In any case most clubs offer great support with the added advantage of including hands on help. This forum is also a great resource and help me numerous time.

OP
D

dirtbill

Freshman Member
Brosky:

Thats a very nice looking car!

I see you have triple carbs, what are you running for exhaust?

I think my triple webers are choking on a single exhaust. I have an appointment on Tuesday with a local exhaust shop to give me a price on dual exhaust, if its significantly cheaper than a Monza set up and stainless I was thinking of going ahead (so long as he can give me nice chrome tips).

Funny thing about the colour, wasn't really looking for yellow, but I couldn't pass up the deal. Same thing happened to me on one of my bikes, I have a yellow 99 R1100s BMW same thing too good of a deal to pass on. The best part is I work for a Utility company and all our trucks are YELLOW! I should put the company logo on the sides of my vehicles and get them to buy my gas.

Bill

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome. The stacked relays. The one with the purple wires is for the horn. The one with the Brown wires is for the starter.
The turn signal flasher on US cars is in the passsenger side footwell. The emergency flasher is seen in your pictures forward of the fusebox.
Hope that helps.
Get a copy of your wiring schematic here:
https://www.advanceautowire.com/schematics.htm

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill,

Thanks for the compliments. We minority color guys (non BRG/Pimento) TR6 guys have to stick together you know!!

I have Pacesetter headers and the Falcon stainless OEM replacement system (twin pipe) from the headers back. My engine is modified quite a bit as you probably saw on my site, so I have no problem using all three carbs.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Brosky said:
Bill,

Thanks for the compliments. We minority color guys (non BRG/Pimento) TR6 guys have to stick together you know!!

Minority, a plethora of them yellow ones on this site . I think the minority is the Baby s...Brown

OP
D

dirtbill

Freshman Member
Poolboy:

Thanks, no brown wires to either relay, only one brown wire coming out of the harness anywhere near here goes to the fuse box.

Am I correct in assuming the wires at the front of the engine compartment on the passenger side are for dual horns? Pair one: brown/ white with red, pair two: black/ purple with yellow

If so tracing backwards: black and brown trace to lower relay, purple to upper relay white doesn't trace back at all which confuses the heck out of me.

Thanks

Bill

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Plethora???? Give me a break.

You know that we're out numbered. There's just me and poor ole' BobbyD down in CT. The Pharmacist has gone into seclusion and we are on an island surrounded by sharks.

Then you guys with the TR8's start throwing out those 250 ++++ HP numbers...

What's a poor old TR6 owner to do but feel bad???

OP
D

dirtbill

Freshman Member
Being very white and male, I've never been refered to as a minority guy before.

What next am I a victim of Triumph ownership?

Bill

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill,

It's not you that's the minority, it's the beautiful color of your car. There were not a lot of Mimosa or Inca Yellow (only one year for that color name- 1976) TR6's produced in comparison to the BRG and Reds.

I guess that Don is correct in that the brown is probably less than ours.