• NOTICE: This "Forum Navigation Questions" forum is only for asking questions related to navigating this web site. DO NOT post car-related questions here., For car-related questions, use the appropriate marque-related forum.
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Searching

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Good morning.

In a recent Pub post, someone says he had no luck using the Search function to find posts about choosing a GPS.

I could have sworn I had read a thread on GPS units several months ago. So I tried Search myself.

Clicked the "simple" search, entered gps (no quotes, just the three letters) in the box, and clicked Go.

Sure enough, "There are no results for your query. Please try a broader range of search criteria."

OK - so I'll try Advanced search. Chose Advanced, then All Forums, then entered gps in the box, then chose In Subject and Body, Newer than 1 Year, then hit Submit.

Same thing - no results.

OK - I'll search 3 years. Same - no results.

OK - I'll search 8 years. All forums, subject and body.

No results. Not even the Pub thread from yesterday.

Repeated all above, but put "gps" (with quotation marks) in the box. No results.

Repeated all above, but put GPS (caps, no quotation marks) in the box. No results.

Repeated all above, but put "GPS" (with quotation marks) in the box. No results.

Is there a switch or option I should be using? If the text is just too short (only 3 letters?), shouldn't there be a hint about "size" somewhere in the search function? Maybe this is why we see posts about "no luck using search"?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Tom
PS - I did watch the Search video tutorial.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I think the problem is trying to search on a single three letter word. The search engine will ignore anything that is not at least 4 characters. The reason for this is to prevent searches on words like "the" which would bring the server to it's knees since every post on the forum probably has that word.

What I suggest is doing the search on something else that is likely to be in the body of any posts about GPS. For example, try searching Garmin or TomTom.

Basil