• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A-H Fixed-Head Coupe

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
I have several Healey books and between these books there are 3 pictures of a 100-4 fixed-head coupe. I believe only two were built and Donald Healey drove both cars for some time. One of the bl/wh photos is the car in front of Donald's home. The second bl/wh photo was in front of a dealership. The 3rd photo (in color) shows the car in aluminum. The article mentions the fixed head was reunited with the original car and was in the process of being restored. There were a couple other color photos of two different style fixed-head 3000's. There is a subtle difference in the style of these two cars, both having a cam tail where the 100-4 kept much of the original back-end style.

Question; where are the two 100-4 cars and where are the cam style cars?

Patton

Jedi Warrior
I think Allan Casavant had Donald's car, but 1) I am not positive about that, 2) he was selling several of his choice cars (The Rolls Royce Healey and The
Cadillac Healey Silverstone amoung them) last year.

According to this site thier were 6
https://www.britishcarweek.org/healey_coupe.html

Anyhow its still a great looking car!!!

Attachments

• 12311.jpg
    12311.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 769
OP
ModifiedBJ7

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
The picture above is the style I was referring to. Where did you get the photo?

The link is interesting-- the car looks more like a metal hardtop was permanently attached versus a coupe style.

Patton

Jedi Warrior
Go about four posts down the page in this thread,

https://forums.autosport.com/showthread.php?threadid=96517

Are you going to the Londoner in Addison tomorrow night for the Healey show (6:30pm dinner @ 7:00)?

I have the youngest daughters 3rd birthday tomorrow along with the inlaws in town, so we are doubtful. Babes opened in Frisco on Monday and my wife is insisting we go there.

Patton
About 5 miles north of you!

Shane

Jedi Warrior
Patton said:
Go about four posts down the page in this thread,

https://forums.autosport.com/showthread.php?threadid=96517

Are you going to the Londoner in Addison tomorrow night for the Healey show (6:30pm dinner @ 7:00)?

I have the youngest daughters 3rd birthday tomorrow along with the inlaws in town, so we are doubtful. Babes opened in Frisco on Monday and my wife is insisting we go there.

Patton
About 5 miles north of you!

I just spent the last half-hour reading that thread. Quite a story. Thanks for sharing...

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
OAC1 (one of the two 100 coupes) is in private hands in, I believe, the UK, after having been restored several years ago. It spent much/most of its life as a roadster after someone cut off the coupe panels. David Matthews owned it for a long time as a roadster, including racing it. Interestingly, the coupe panels were not discarded and were reunited with the car for the restoration.

ONX113 (the car in the photo in Patton's post above) was DMH's personal car and spent most of its life in Arthur Carter's collection. Carter liquidated most of his collection a few years ago, but if I'm not mistaken he kept this particular car. By the way, it is built to 100S spec and has a 100S grille badge.

The two 3000 coupes are in private hands in the English Midlands, where they have been for many years. Both are owned by the same man.

OP
ModifiedBJ7

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
Great read! I spent the last 2-hours reading links from the A-H USA site.

Yep, I'll be at the Londoner tomorrow evening. Cottontop, better known as Tim M. will be there too. Try and make it if you can-- I found out yesterday you're in the same industry I worked in for 24 years.

OP
ModifiedBJ7

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
I'll raise a couple of pints! I owe Tim too- one of my first friends in the Healey world.

Reid, thanks for the coupe information. Sure would be nice to see recent pictures of these cars.

Patton, wholesale distributor in Austin (except for a 6-month stint in Houston early 90's).

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Patton said:

Sherry and I are goin' in our Miata-Healey.

I've got a slight overheating problem with my Healey.
Fancy that... A V8 Healey with an overheating problem.

Tim

Miata-Healey.jpg

OP
ModifiedBJ7

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
Donald would roll in his grave if he saw one of his cars wearing a bra. Tim, you should be ashamed! :nonono:

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I can add a little to the story of OAC1:
In 1974 one of the members of the Austin-Healey Owners Club of Queensland visited England. While there he met the owner of OAC1. A deal was done, the coupe panels were removed and shipped to Australia. A set of roadster panels were sent from Australia in return! As Reid says, OAC1's owner wanted to convert the car to a roadster. The coupe panels were meant to be fitted to a 100M in Queensland but that never happened. The panels changed hands here a couple of times and were eventually returned to England to be re-united with OAC1. By the way, OAC1 also has a six cylinder motor.
The panels are aluminium and are not detachable in the sense of a "hardtop". OAC1's body had to be dismantled to remove them. The shape was quite different with the rear deck being much higher and a completely different boot lid. The rear window featured a pneumatic system which opened it, presumably to try to get rid of hot air.
Alwyn

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I believe that at least one of them is in GB, I saw it at the 50th aniversary for the frog eye at Goodwood, no photo I am afraid, it was in british racing green

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It was a 100-4 and it is is great condition. I may have a photo from an event in 2002 I will hunt around but can not be 100% sure that I have one.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I touched ONX 113 today, beautyfull little car
Another good reason to visit the HealeyMuseum

Facebook already has some pictures
More coming ....

BN2guy

Freshman Member
I just discovered a very nice article with some excellent photos of ONX 113 in the December 2015 issue of the british magazine, Classic & Sports Car.The article provides a lot of history and also some driving impressions. It's a good read!

Bill Hoyt
Thousand Oaks, California