• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Garage floor paint

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Can someone give advice on painting a garage floor?
What product to use, how to prep and apply,etc.
I also would like to put down linoleum tiles under the Healey in one of the 3 bays. Can I put them down on dirty concrete or should I paint first and put them over the paint?
Thanks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's easy... Here we seem to use. My TR7, TR7 parts, MGB parts, kids bikes, kids hockey equiptment, (one a goalie), skateboards, roller blades, what ever misses the recycle box, some oil drippings from when the TR7 leaked, Oil and whatever else was in the MGB engine when I put it on the stand....
See,
You don't need to paint, just kids and hobbies. You won't see the floor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

A

aerog

I did some reading on this a couple of years ago. I still want to paint ours!

I wish I could remember where I got all the info, this is what I remember: The first problem you might have is cleaning/prepping the floor. As I recall all traces of grease and oil have to be removed from the floor completely or you'll have paint lifting. There's some kind of acid wash you have to apply to really get it all out too. Unfortunately oil/grease seeps into floors over time, so if it's an older floor you may never be able to get it all out and over time it will slowly lift any paint you put over top of it (which will then crack, peel off, etc). In some areas moisture will penetrate the concrete from below and lift the paint from underneath too. That's what I read anyway - your mileage may vary.

There are garage paint kits available in the stores like Lowes. Rustoleum markets an Epoxy floor paint that has a contrasting flake you sprinkle into the paint as you apply it. The sprinkles give it some "grip" so you don't slip on the floor too I think.

You can check the Rustoleum website for info on their products, but I also found this one with some general information on the subject: https://www.epoxyproducts.com/garage4u.html

As for the other flooring material - I would think if you prep the concrete for paint your tiles will lay down fine. I'm not sure about linoleum (or whatever material they're commonly using now) though. Certain solvents might eat away at the tiles, and if they're actually tiles anything you spill (oil, coolant, etc) will end up seeping between and then under the tiles causing them to lift over time. If you're prepared to pay the price you might consider the large open-cell tiles they sell for garages and racing pit-areas. They're not cheap, but they're very sturdy, interlock with each other (no glue necessary, they lie flat on their own), and you can easily lift them up from time to time and clean under them. They come in a variety of colors so you can make a pattern under the car if you want (checkerboard, a border around the outside, etc). Places like Griot's Garage and California Car Cover sell them but shop around.

OP
S

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks to all who replied to my garage paint question. Some great links to read!
I've decided to paint two of the garage bays grey and lay down black and white vinyl tiles in the other bay under the "toys".