• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question about BE Gas Tank

TexasSprite

Jedi Hopeful
Has anyone seen what the inside of the BE fuel tank looks like? On mine, the fuel line connects partway up the side of the tank, where I assume the fitting attaches to an internal pipe that goes to the bottom of the tank. I think that internal pipe must be loose as my electric fuel punp starts to draw air like the tank is empty when it still has several gallons of gas in the tank. If I jack the back of the car up a bit, the fuel flows fine. I'd appreciate it if anyone could comment on how the plumbing is arranged inside the tank. Not looking forward to pulling the tank off again.

Thanks!

Mike

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Mike,
I have a early ('63) Mark II gas tank..I would guess they are similar, sure sounds like it. Its off right now so I'll get you a picture tomorrow.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
I have not been inside, but have the same on the outy.

Pat

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Mike couldn't get a good picture..there is a plastic strainer I can see from the sending unit opening, but that is all I can see. I can't see the tube because its behind a baffle plate. Sorry, can't help with how the tube looks.

OP
TexasSprite

TexasSprite

Jedi Hopeful
Update on BE gas tank

Ended up having to pull the tank and found the pipe to the in-tank strainer to be loose in it's fitting. When the gas level fell below the fitting, the electric fuel pump began to draw air, eventually just cavitating. Of course, to actually see this, I had to cut an access hole in the top of the tank. To seal up the air leak, I worked JB weld into the fitting and will weld a patch over the hole tomorrow.

What caused the problem? The fuel line going into the tank had been repaired in the past with JB Weld to deal with a leak due to stripped threads on the fuel line nut. The tank did not leak, but I'm betting that the fuel line nut just was not tight enough to seal the in-tank line.

Yes I did thoroughly air the tank out before making sparks! Nothing like working on a gas tank in the Texas sun.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Update on BE gas tank

You might have to do this.
MVC-199F.jpg

regularman

Yoda
Country flag

A plate tapped on the inside and a plate with 32 screws on the outside with a gasket. I went in and got rid of the strainer in the tank before I used red kote on the inside. I put in a cleanable inline filter before the fuel pump.

OP
TexasSprite

TexasSprite

Jedi Hopeful

The tapped plate is a good idea. I used sheet metal screws to hold the patch plate in plane on my fuel tank while I welded it. I did a pressure check using my handy pump up garden sprayer and found I still had pinhole leaks through my crappy weld, so sealed them up with a layer of JB Weld. I should be able to put the tank back on the BE tomorrow afternoon.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag

If the JB doesn't do well then Loctite makes a special green type just for weld porosities and such that works well. I put on the plate with all those SS machine screws in case I ever needed to gt back in there again. The hole is not as big as the patch plate and I drilled holes through the tank as well. Holding that taped out piece on the inside was a bear but the gasket and all went easy. I just could not live with the fact that the redkote might have sealed part of that thing up. I had to get in there and see and remove it.