• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OT - Finally replaced my daily driver last week

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
OT - sorry

After spending another $1300 in insane and needless repairs, I decided to finally dump my '02 Volvo S80 last week. It got to the point that I actually hated that useless piece of garbage. Anyway, having had nothing but good luck with Japanese upmarket cars, I decided to test drive an Infinity G37 Coupe. Nice car - fun,fast and precise, but the seats are so heavily bolstered my rump couldn't get comfortable and the rear cargo area couldn't accommodate more than one set of golf clubs. Salesperson suggested I try something different. I noticed this vehicle on the showroom floor. It sort of looked like a swoopy SUV but it smaller and had a more contoured, almost sexy shape to it.

Anyway it was explained to me that this is a new car for Infinity, a technology platform for the company and loaded with useful (and not so useful gadgets). It's a luxury SUV/ Coupe Crossover. If a G37 coupe mated with a FX SUV, this would be the result. Has the 300 hp motor of the G series cars, all wheel drive, technology everywhere and it handles like a sports sedan. I have no idea why they use "SUV" in the description since it has no practical resemblance to an SUV. I test drove three of them and bought one on the spot. The car's not for everyone because rear seat room is limited and with the seats up rear cargo area is limited as well (4-6 golf bags). With the seats down (like a station wagon) tons of storage. Anyway, just thought I would share this unique car with others that may be looking for something different. I'm pleased to be out of the Volvo forever! And happy to be back on the road in something cool.
Cheers
Randy
Here's a pic: https://tinyurl.com/2lu7wr

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Murano is a larger vehicle.The platform is different. Murano is a nice vehicle but this one is really in a class of its own. I can see how some would cross shop the two however.
Randy

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Re: OT - Finally replaced my daily driver last wee

The color is called slate blue. It is actually dk. metallic graphite blue. The interior is stone or what I would call light grey.

The paint is high tech - a new thing for Infinity. It is self healing. If it gets spider webs or light scratching it will heal itself over a few days. Keeps the car looking new for years allegedly. It's something that Infinity plans to introduce on all their cars next year. You'll probably see it on all new cars soon.

Randy

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

The paint is high tech - a new thing for Infinity. It is self healing. If it gets spider webs or light scratching it will heal itself over a few days. Keeps the car looking new for years allegedly. It's something that Infinity plans to introduce on all their cars next year. You'll probably see it on all new cars soon.

Randy
[/quote]

I've seen the new Infinity EX model. Very nice looking car.

Ya gotta love car salesmen.
Pisst, over here. We have a limited edition Infinity EX out back. So limited they only made one. It came out of the factory with the name "Christine". If it gets spider webs or light scratching it will heal itself over a few days.

Oh and next years model will have self healing dents. If it ever gets dinged, it will heal itself over a few days.

Ever heard the joke, Q: how do you know when a car salesmen is lying? A: his lips move.
Not sure I believe every pitch a salesmen makes.

You did good Randy, congrads.

Happy motoring!
Roger

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior

Right you are Roger. I never believe a car salesman. However, the paint is real. It's called "Scratch Shield". Here's a recent Motor Trend quote on this:

"Infiniti has chosen to showcase some of its latest and greatest technology on the EX35...... Another first is Infiniti's Scratch Shield paint, designed with a special clearcoat designed to "heal" itself should it become damaged".

According to a few people on the Infinity Forums the paint does in fact work for minor scratches, spider webbing and buffing marks. But the downside to this is a heavy orange peel affect to the new paint and the clear coat does feel softer than normal. I think that, if it truly works, this or something very similar to it will end up on all new cars within a few years.

Hey Roger, didn't Saturn already introduce the ding free car? Bounce back plastic panels....

Randy

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

Anyone else on this site believe that a scratch will disapear all by itself in a couple days. All by itself? A scratch is a loss of clear coat. Deep enough scratch and you lose the base coat too. How is it going to replace the lost material, all by it self? I just don't buy it.

Saturns, Cameros, Firebirds, Bettle, Fiero's. A strong hit and the plastic fantastic breaks.

Not like our Healey's. Now that's real steel.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Congrads on your new car, "Christine".

Happy motoring!
Roger

Country flag

It may not take a major dent too well and repainting would be a nightmare. Don't worry, Roger, I think your your job is secure for many years.
Randy, congradlutions. A new car is always exciting.
TH

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Randy, I recently - about 1.5 years ago - came to the same decision as you: "sell the daily ride...." I sold my very nicely maintained, but deteriorating Pontiac Bonneville SSEi (read: Maintenance costs driving me nuts) and bought a Mazda MX-5. The Mazda doesn't have self-healing paint, but it is "Velocity Red" - which is a metallic paint - and drives great! Mine is a special edition with all the performance options such as six speed tranny, Bilstein shocks, shock tower support bracing, run flat Michelins, etc. The reason I bought the MX-5 is that driving it gave me similar feelings as driving the BJ8 when I bought it in 1972. Driving it reduces my felt age at least 20 years! Wind in the hair and great performance! The Infinity sounds like a great car - Congratulations! Wishing you many miles of fun driving!

randy Harris, a few months back we purchased an infinity fx35 for my wife and we love it, the 35 has a six cyl. but youd never know it, seems much more powerful and the handling is super i couldnt imagine what the 300 h.p. must be like, gongrats, enjoy, drive safe. :savewave: