Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TR3A factory colors and trim

TR3A factory colors and trim

My son and I are in the process of restoring a 1959 pre-60,000 TR3A and I was attempting to obtain a definitive chart showing the factory body colors and (more importantly) the interior. I've located the body color charts but have been unable to find anything definitive that shows the trim colors. The closest I've come is the following info printed on the back of a TR3 sales brochure (year of printing probably 1960?):

COLOUR SCHEMES
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Body Colour | Trim - Vyside or Leather
    Silverstone Grey |
    British Racing Green | Silverstone Grey
    Sebring White | Targo Purple or
    Pale Yellow | Red
    Black |
    Signal Red | Red, Black or
    | Silverstone Grey
    Powder Blue | Black or Blue
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    In addition to the above, Sebring White and Black are available with
    Black or Blue trims, and Pale Yellow is available with Black trim.

N.B. Hood and Side Curtains - Black or White

Hard Tops available in any T.R.3 body colour to produce a single or
    two-colour exterior.

Questions/comments here -

(1) It does me absolutely no good to have a color described in text when trying to find vinyl or leather that comes closest to the original. Does anyone know of authoritative pictures that show interior trim colors?

(2) Anyone notice that "tan" is missing from this list? Should I assume that no factory car was delivered with a tan interior trim? Does anyone know for sure, and if "tan" was provided, was it light, dark, what?

(3) For you concours judges out there - If I try to come close to "Triumph Racing Green" or "British Racing Green" (apparently two different colors) with a tan/biege vinyl interior with matching tan/biege piping (not white), will I pass muster or get dinged? Do you judges have a color guide that you use? if so, how do I obtain a copy.

Please forgive me if all of this is common knowledge or simply doesn't matter much in a good restoration.
    Craig Landrum, CTO
    Mindwrap, Inc.
    Flint Hill, VA
    1961 AH 3000 MkII [sold when I went in Army in 71]
    1962 AH 3000 MkII [bought while at NSA, totalled in 76]
    1962 AH 3000 MkII tri-carb [sold to build room on house]
    1959 TR3A in progress...

Chats

Re: TR3A factory colors and trim

Triumph Racing Green or Conifer is a DuPont paint available for the TR4. The exact BRG for the TR3 and TR3A has a tiny bit less blue in it.

Tan interior or red interior was available from new on a BRG TR3A.

Here is a late TR3A I finished in June 2006 in the Triumph Racing Green mentioned above. The TR had previously been black but the owner wanted green and told me to use the same interior.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Craig,

If you want to do the "right" thing, request a certified copy of the factory record from british motor industry heritage trust and then you'll know how it was shipped.

Mine (or the vin on it) was originally: ext: Signal Red, trim: Beige, hood(top): Fawn, and was shipped with a red hard top and fawn side curtains.

When I pushed it into my garage, it was "a christmas car", BRG with red interior/white piping. I think it's going to be silverstone grey, but someone here already posted their troubles trying to duplicate and/or determine what that is.

For more color information, look in the "Body and Fittings" section of the "stanpart spare parts catalogue". It shows combinations of all colors and what series were shipped with them. (Though only a description, no color swatches.)

I think BRG is a little darker than TriRG. That TR3 Don finished looks fantastik.

Jer
    74 TR6 Daily driver/weather permitting
    59 TR3A project

Darth Vader
    Chats

Contact your favorite parts supplier and ask for sample swatches of available colors.

Chats

The only question I would ask is "Are you building a Concours car?"

Mine will never be Concours. I've got a 5 speed in it and cup holders in the back seats.

The point is, even after all the fun of restoring it(?), I have more fun driving it. If it was concours, I would probably not want to drive it, so what's the point of having it?

Mine was originally signal red with black interior. It's now 1999 Honda San Marino Red (much darker with some blue in it) with a biscuit interior, only because I liked the combination.

We all have these cars to have fun with them. If building a concours car with the exact shade of signal red (there are a thousand opinions on that shade) and the exact interior is what makes you happy, then persue that. Just remember that the only ones who will recognize your efforts as being greater than anyone else who has redone the car in their own flavor, will be the judges at a concours show.

I think I get as much pleasure from the people who never see these cars on the street, except when they see mine or someone else who has put together a good looking driver, and they smile or wave and remember the days when they drove "something like that."

We have a guy in the club who hates to take his car to an informal show, because "all the little kids who can't keep their dirty hands off" his car. Me, if a kid is looking in the car, I ask them if they want to sit in it and see what it feels like.

Okay, okay I'll get off my soapbox.

The important thing is to have fun with it.
    Formerly:
    1957 Triumph TR3 Comm #TS16434L
    1961 Triumph 10 TBE55513LSC
    Currently admiring Vintage British and Swedish cars
    All Triumphs, no tribulations (never owned an MG)

A concours restoration will cost a LOT ($50K ??) of dough. So don't worry too much about getting dinged by the judges unless you're prepared to invest heavily. Your later engine bits will already get you dinged since it is not a matching numbers car.

BRG with tan is a really nice combo IMO. Check out the catalogs and see what they have that you like.

If you over restore it, aka concours level, you'll be afraid to drive it. Most of all get it fixed up and back together and ENJOY the ride.

Here's some info for you Rob and Craig -
    Councours judging guide is online here: http://www.triumphregister.com/TRA%2...der%202004.pdf
    And general judging info here: http://www.kingswayrc.com/txtr/Judging.pdf
    PeterK
    1958 TR3A 1966 TR4A both HVDA

Chats

Gsalt - I always enter my 1958 TR3A in the judged concours at TRA and VTR national meets. I'm always getting 2nd place. That's with 97,000 miles driven since my total body-off restoration from 1987 to 1990. My pleasure is to see the winning car and to see how close I come to him. For example, in 2000, when I drove a total of 7225 miles to VTR in Portland Oregon and home again and the winner had driven his only 35 miles. This year at VTR, the winner had trailered his from So, Car. and I drove mine down from Montreal. He got 392 points and they gave me 384 points out of 400.

I take mine to informal shows and ask the teen-agers and their parents what this tool is ? They never guess, till I tell them it's a hand-crank. "How does it work?" they ask. So I have a contest to see if the 14 year old can start my TR with the crank easier than the 16 year old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chats

The point is not to make a concours car. We just want to know what the rules are so we don't blatently disregard them. We won't be painting any bolt heads.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by rlandrum
    The point is not to make a concours car. We just want to know what the rules are so we don't blatently disregard them. We won't be painting any bolt heads.
    Frankly, the only "rule" is that there are no rules. It's your car to do with as you please. The closest thing to a "rule" is whatever governs resale value...IF that's important to you. It still seems to hold true that the highest prices might be paid for a car that is correctly restored (or original, of course) OR extremely well executed in terms of tasteful and well-thought-out modifications and personalizations.

In other words, go with colors you like, especially if you really intend to simply drive and enjoy the car. Understand that the wilder you get (candy apple red metalflake with flames, Allison V-12 with a 6-71 blower and Mickey Thompson drag slicks on the back, Zebra striped upholstery), the less likely you are to find a buyer sometime in the future that will appreciate your unique taste.

I personally hate to see original cars "[over]restored," let alone hacked up. But TR3s are not yet so unique that one shouldn't be tastefully personalized...just as so many owners did the day they drove them out of the showroom!

Oh, and you can paint the bolt heads...at least the ones holding down the fenders. [img]/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
    -- Andrew (Andy) Mace, VTR's Triumph 10/Herald/Sports 6 vehicle consultant and keeper of the North American Triumph Sports 6 and Herald Database

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mace
    Allison V-12 with a 6-71 blower
    No, no, you can't do that !

A 6-71 is much too small for an Allison V12 !

[img]/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif[/img]
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71 Stag LE2013LBW waiting gearbox rebuild