• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Minis

steve99

Jedi Trainee
I am thinking about a new cooper (non S) for a sales and light delivery vehicle. I just drove one today for the first time and it exceeded all of my expectations. My only reservation is not having any idea of the reliability of these cars. I'm in the middle of no where Wisconsin and the nearest Mini dealer is about 3 hours away.

I drive about 20K a year and I sell light bulbs for a living so there is no weight to be concerned about.

Any input would be appreciated.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ours has been great. Dealer visits have only been for little things, a loose door handle, a tire that leaked a bit because it wasn't seated perfectly on the rim and it's in right this second for 9000 mile scheduled maintenance. It does have a bit of a balky shift occasionally when trying to get into gear from a dead stop. The dealer tried to adjust it with some small success. It's a an occasional minor annoyance. Unfortunately even minor stuff is a royal pain if your only source for service is three hours away.

I threw a whole set of wheels and tires for my Manta in the back and had plenty of room to spare. I think it would be a great light utility vehicle but I wouldn't bet my business on any machine without a readily available service infrastructure.

PC.

cheers.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My neighbor just bought an S and its really a neat little car! My wife and I have been talking a bit about possibly selling the Miata and getting a Mini S. (No definite plans yet)

Basil

t8nwa

Jedi Hopeful
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

That is me with my 2002 MCS (MINI Cooper S)!!!

I am sitting right 27000 miles. Great car. Rattle here or there has been my only issues that have not been KNOWN issues. However, most of the time I do not hear them because the windows are down and I have a silly grin on my face. The early coolant tanks leaked and were replaced with a new design that is fine. The 04's have been very good cars.

For me it has been a very reliable car that can haul a lot of stuff. The only problem you will have is with four foot long things. Needs about two more inches with where I like the seat.

BTW, I just got my supercharger pulley changed with a 15% reduction pulley. OH MY!!! That little pulley does wonders for the car.

Alan

OP
S

steve99

Jedi Trainee
I appreciate the feedback, thanks. I think I'm about 90% sure I'll end up with one. After all, a mini and my TR7 would both fit on my side of the garage.

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
Steve, are you planning on attending MiniMeet 2004 in Rockford, IL?

If so, our club (Mini-Sota Minis, Pizza Eating, And Psychiatric Self-Help Assn.) will be having a large convoy of Minis, MINIs, and other vehicles coming past Tomah on I-94 on June 29th. Should get to your area about noon to 1PM...you're most welcome to join in (no matter what you're driving).

OP
S

steve99

Jedi Trainee
Xracer,

Didnt know it was happening, I am gonna be around 6/29. I live about two miles from where your going to drive by. Keep me posted!!!

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
Well, here's a little background.....every year there's MiniMeet East (held on the East coast) and a MiniMeet West (held on the West Coast). Every 5 years or so, instead of the two MiniMeets, they hold one super MiniMeet East Meets West somewhere in the middle of the country.

This year, it's in Rockford, IL, from June 29th until July 2nd.

Here's the website giving you all of the info:

https://www.minimeet2004.com/