• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to best sell my Healey?

Gilligan

Freshman Member
I think it’s time sanity takes over and I sell the Healey. I need some advice.

I have been storing the Healey at considerable expense (not in $$$, but in valuable garage space, and wife ribbing) for way too many years and it’s time to give up the dream of restoring my Healey. So my question is what is the best way to sell my car?

Background:
I have a 63’BJ7; my father purchased the car new and drove it until 74’ (66K miles). So this is a one owner, never modified original car [in need of restoration ;-) ]. He stored the car from 74’ to 98’; I’ve been storing the car since 98’. It’s always been kept in a dry garage; the car has not seen a drop of rain in over 30 years. However the storage conditions do not reflect the condition of the car. In the 60’s this car was my father’s daily driver in central NY. I believe/know the car needs a full off-body restoration. It needs considerable body, frame and interior work. The entire driveline of course would have to be re-built. I have always had intentions of restoring the car, farming out all of the frame/body restoration and doing some of the driveline and interior work myself. Other priorities (such as buying a vacation house, and the kids college fund) have taken priority over the Healey and I don’t see it being possible to reasonably afford (with Wife support) to restore the car for at least another 10-15 years. Therefore, it does not make rational sense to continue to store the car.

So, do I sell the car as-is and I assume get very very little in value, or do I part the car out and try to actually get some value out of the car for storing and moving it for so many years (please don’t flame me for suggesting this)? Parting out the car would be more work on my part, and might be a shame to do to an original car. Of course, I’d rather sell the car to someone who would restore the car. However, I wouldn’t want to sell the car to someone who “might” restore the car someday, let it sit outside, and then it rots away to nothing; I would have been better parting it out at that point. Again, I think it has some value being an original owner car and un-touched in over 30 years.

I know it is difficult without any pictures or a complete description of the car, but any comments on how much money I might get for selling the car and/or for parting it out would be helpful. Any tips on how to find a buyer who would really restore the car? Also, any comments on the best method for selling would be appreciated (e.g.: ebay, this forum, ect).

Thanks.

2CylindersDown

Freshman Member
Which is more important to you - getting the most value out of the vehicle or finding a "good home" for it?

If you really care for the vehicle, and want to see it restored, you'll need to sell to an enthusiast. An enthusiast will be knowledgeable of the vehicle (and its faults) and therefore, you're likely to get less money for it.

If you want to find someone who will restore it - find a local chapter of the Austin Healey club.

Country flag
Sell the car whole; please don't break it up.

As a one owner/one family car, I believe it still holds value to a restorer, especially if it lacks any modifications (cosmetic/bolt-on items are easily rectified__usually).

List it on Ebay, and you'll likely get as much as can be had for it. Ebay reaches LOTS of people every minute, far more than the numbers you'd be able to expose the sale to.

Establish what the minimum you'd accept for the car, and use that as the "reserve" price. Anything above that should make you happy. If your price is too high, you'll know from the lack of bids, and you can relist it, or contact whoever bid the highest the first go-around.

Good luck.

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
My suggestion for this type of car is to sell it as-is on Ebay with as full of a disclosure as possible as to the condition of the major parts or structures. As many pictures as you can post will add to the listing. You may be surprised how much it will bring. In my opinion this will bring more than parting it out, especially if you count your time. The BJ7 is a very desireable car as it is less expensive to buy/restore than a BJ8 but gives one the roll up windows and attached top. there may even be some interest here on the forum.

If you do not know the value and would like the market to tell you, Ebay is the way to go with a no reserve listing. As long as the listing title is good ie. no mispellings of the name Healey etc and you are willing to sell to any buyer, U.S. or European I think you would be pleased with the value you will get.

If I needed any more projects I may have been interested.

Steve

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I agree with the others...sell it as a whole car to someone who will restore it . Maybe parting it out will yield more $$$, but think of all the time and energy associated with that process. Your time and energy has value too. Plus, if you do part it out, it will be a while before you reclaim any garage space, in fact you will loose even more garage space.

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
The most important thing is that all of the parts are there. Restoring the car, even if it is in rough shape, is far easier if it is all there. Frame sections can be repaired/replaced. Body work, while not easy or cheap, is straight forward. Engine, suspension, tranny are all (for someone with the skills) easily rebuilt/refurbished. Interiors are simple to do by comparison - but it is most important that all the little bits are there. Assuming they are, you should have no problem selling this car to an enthusiast looking for a solid challenging project.

A BJ7 project is definitely worth doing. Ultimately what you ask for it depends entirely upon the condition of the car as it sits now. Knowledgable enthusiasts will know what it's worth.

As already said - break it up and another Healey is lost.
Randy

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif With Randy.

Gilligan, Use the old salesman's philosophy here: You can always come down in price but you can not go up! Consequently, do not list the car with no reserve.--Keoke--AZ- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cowboy.gif

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Gilligan, even if you decide not to sell on e-bay look on e-bay listing for Austin Healeys, there are usually 20-30 listed. But the really telling thing is the completed auctions, if you are not registered with a username and password you can't see the completed listings, go ahead an register it actually is free and I can't think of a downside to doing it.

Restoration in storage many years Healeys are sold there all the time, the nice thing is you can see the actual purchase price and compare them to your car, if you think the car has "no value" as a project car I think you will be pleasantly surprised, as complete but very rough Healeys are bringing pretty good money these days.

Another option is to contact your local healey club (post your general location here and someone on the list can help you out with who they are) and see if they have a for sale section on their website or newsletter, they probably do and its probably free.

Tronch

Hi Gilligan

I´m interested in the car. I´m living in Spain and most of cars I can reach are rigth hand drive.
I own a BT7 imported from the states and refurbished by myself, I am member of the AH club, and drive it frequently.
My cousin now is in love with the car and he is looking to buy one.
Single owner car is much more interested than other possibilities.
Let me know the conditions and the price of the car and probably we can make a deal.

Saludos

Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] [If]...you are willing to sell to any buyer, U.S. or European I think you would be pleased with the value you will get.
[/QUOTE]

Given the strength of the £ pound and the desirability of Big Healeys you should definitely consider listing it on both US and UK ebay if possible.

I repatriated mine from the US to the UK and its not uncommon since so few were kept for the home market....

OP
G

Gilligan

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the advice. It's taken me a while to think this over, but I've decided to sell. I'll post on this website, ebay (usa and uk), and a few local club sites.

Attachments

• 8634.jpg
    8634.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 45
OP
G

Gilligan

Freshman Member
Can anyone provide some help on the classifies on this board. I went through the steps, but I don't see it listed. Maybe my pictures file sizes were too big? Any ideas. Is there any delay?

Attachments

• 8656.jpg
    8656.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 105

Tronch

Hi Gillian

As I told you I am interested in your car. I have a BT7 and I want a new project of Bj7 or BJ8 for me.
Can you give me more details, send me an email (see my profile) with price number of chasis...
I see in your picture the car is very rusty, I will appreciate detail pictures.
Bear on mind if we make the bussines I will keep you update in the restoring.

Thanks