• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Age - a matter of perspective

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Everyone has been guilty of looking at others their own age and thinking...

surely I cannot look that old.........I'm sure you've done the same......

You may enjoy this short story....

While waiting for my first appointment in the reception room of a new dentist, I noticed his certificate, which bore his full name. Suddenly, I remembered that a tall, handsome boy with the same name had been in my high school class some 40 years ago.

Upon seeing him, however, I quickly discarded any such thought. This balding, gray-haired man with the deeply lined face was too old to have been my classmate.

After he had examined my teeth, I asked him if he had attended the local high school.

"Yes," he replied.

"When did you graduate?" I asked.

He answered, "In 1957."

"Why, you were in my class!" I exclaimed.

He looked at me closely and then asked, "What did you teach??"

(PS: This didn't really happen to ME, but was a funny story emailed to me)

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
We talked about this exact subject at a party I went to this weekend....everyone present was "fifty-ish".

All of us gave examples of how we're "getting long in the tooth". For example, the ladies present told us that they knew they were getting older when young men started calling them "Ma'am".

Mine may have been the best: A student recently told me that his Dad knew me.

"How does he know me?", I asked.

"You were his teacher!", says this young fellow about 18 years old! Argggh!!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I recently met an old high school chum who happened to be driving through my town on his way back from a business trip he was on. He called me up and I went to his hotel to see him for the first time in many years. We are both the same age, but he looked much older than I do (we are both pushing hard on 50). This wasn't just my opinion either - others told me this afterwards. The difference? I think its because he is a heavy smoker and drinker and I'm not. I am not an anti-smoking Nazi - it should be a matter of personal choice IMHO, but I will say I do believe that his heavy smoking has a lot to do with his looking 10 years older than he really is. (Ok, my flame retardant suit is on
darthvader.gif
)

Basil
square.gif