• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Micro cars

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
A Peel P50 (Isle of Man), some other micro and a Bedford motorhome.

post-8-1042523362.jpg

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: 78Z ]</p>

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I wonder if it can "peel out?"
crazy.gif

....or if Mrs. Peel (from the Avengers) ever drove one?
jester.gif
...Geesh, I *kill* myself sometimes!

Anyway, for some reason, I love these little microcars...there's a pretty active microcar club here in the NEast US...and they always "welcome" LBCs.

One microcar caught my eye recently; the little red roadster in the Cadillac commercial (were a Caddy and a little car "fight" for a parking space). I wondered if it was "real", or just some sort of mock-up.....it's an actual car shown below (Kleinschnittger...what a name!):
See more micos at:

https://www.microcarmuseum.com

kleinschnittger00.jpg

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know if I would ever buy one, but I do think they are neat cars.

One of my favourite events of this past summer was attending a show up here in Ontario called Micro North. Just a bunch of guys up this way who own micro cars and show them off once a year, in a very casual meet - no judging, just show up. Check out the website at https://www.sentex.net/~dewood and follow the page down to the Micro North link, there are piles of pictures on this site of some very interesting cars.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 78Z:
I love microcars...<hr></blockquote>

I do too - don't know why. I owned a couple of Berkeleys, one 328 and one 500, back when. I won't bore everybody with the details but they all seem to have a unique quality about them.

Meanwhile, I have a page on my web site containing questions about various cars and one involves a micro called a "France Jet". If anyone can help with it I'd appreciate it. It's at:

https://www.coldplugs.com/research.htm

(Question #8).

Thanks.

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: coldplugs ]</p>

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Would the "Vespa 400" that I had back in 64-65 qualify as a micro- car? Boy! do I have some stories about that one.
cool.gif

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dale:
Would the "Vespa 400" that I had back in 64-65 qualify as a micro- car? Boy! do I have some stories about that one.
cool.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Of course. Weren't the actually built in France?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
John:

Your "France Jet" has a name that reminds me of the French "Matra Djet"....sure doesn't *look* as neat as a Djet, though.

Wonder if Basil has seen your question on the "Stanton Special"? (Basil's "real" last name is Stanton).

According to this website, the Vespa 400 was Italian: https://www.microcar.org/carspecs/vespa400.html

I owned an Autobianchi when I was 16....cool name and a definite microcar......bought it for $15 and ran it in the woods behind my parent's house. Made a giant go-cart out of it later (as part of a college engineering project).

Looked like this one:

https://www.autobianchi.it/ims/news3.jpg

MattP

Jedi Knight
Yes the Vespa 400 counts. It is one of the most popular micros.

The technical definition is any car with a displacement less than one liter and or less than 11 feet long. This qualifies the Bugeye (985cc, 11ft 6in. long (I think.)) on the big end of the scale for reference.

MattP

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I love microcars. Almost bought one actually. It was a Subaru 360 but my son was born two months early so I was distracted from closing the deal.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's neat to find someone that knows what a Vespa 400 is. I can't imagine them being popular in the sense that they are so rare and were even in the mid sixties. Mine was a 1961 model. They were unique in so many respects though not unusual in Europe I suppose where it was kinda like the Citroen 2-CV I think. Anyway they sure weren't British and mine was made in France. I had to write to an address there for parts and wait and wait but I did eventually get them.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
So the Vespa's French-built?...Didn't know that, but Italian-inspired French-built cars are some of my favorites (I'm speaking of Bugattis, of course).

Actually, "Cy Stanton" (sorry for giving away the "secret", Basil!)

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: aeronca65t ]</p>

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aeronca65t:

Your "France Jet" has a name that reminds me of the French "Matra Djet"....sure doesn't *look* as neat as a Djet, though.

Wonder if Basil has seen your question on the "Stanton Special"? (Basil's "real" last name is Stanton).

According to this website, the Vespa 400 was Italian:

I owned an Autobianchi when I was 16....cool name and a definite microcar......

[Some stuff snipped..]
<hr></blockquote>

You're right, it's no Djet. Re the Vespa, the company was Italian but I think most or all of the cars were made outside of Italy (possibly for tax reasons) because they didn't sell many (any?) there. They didn't see a future in competing with Fiat I think.

Autobianchi is a cool name - I never thought of it that way. It's one of those names that don't often come up in everyday conversation. Maybe I'll ask our local booze place if they have any Autobianchi wine or something...

So - his real name is "Basil Stanton"?
wink.gif