• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Maestro Coming soon To Seattle

rrshadow2

Freshman Member
Ok well not that soon, it won't be arriving til January, but I aleady purchased it, it's 83 Vanden Plas Maestro and it will go Great with my 82 MG Metro, 80 Wedge Princess and 79 Ford Granada Coleman Milne Cardinal Hearse. The toughest decision is Which one to take the to local British Car Show. Our local show will be the weekend of July 28th in Bellevue Washington and I've recruited my father to drive the Hearse and I'll be driving the MG so the only car absent will be the Princess

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
OK, I wasn't exactly sure what this was.
So I Googled it.
I like it.....a very nice looking car!

Note: ~CLICK HERE~ to see one.

G'luck with it!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Congrats! Now, please PM me & tell me how you do it...I've a new MGTF I want to import!

OP
R

rrshadow2

Freshman Member
Well first off Forget even attempting to import anything newer that 25 years old. The whole reason the Maestro isn't currently on a ship at this very moment on the way over to me is because it's a 1983 and being that it's Not considered by customs to be 25 years old until January 1st 2008, that means it can't arrive at the dock in Tacoma Washington until AFTER January 1st. I've heard it IS possible to import a newer car as a "show" car only, but it would never be able to registered for Street use, So why bother. As far as cars 25 years old and older, You just gotta know what you're doing, but it isn't very difficult, the hardest part is dealing with a customs agent who has no clue what the actual Rules are and they try and tell you something that just isn't true. You gotta know what you're doing, but again, it's not difficult at all

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, I should be able to import an RV8?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You really need to get this then to accompany the hearse (PS they've been trying to sell it for months)

https://tinyurl.com/2qodm3

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
None of the photos worked on that link, John-Peter.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ha! Now it works....

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Is that VDP Maestro the one that talks to you? If so, you may find the speech module has been ripped out.

OP
R

rrshadow2

Freshman Member
Yes it's the one that talks to you and according to my buddy Chris in England who actually went and go the car for me and is holding it until January the chatter box that speaks still works and the car also came with an extra in case the original one self destructs which I totally expect it to do. As far as Importing an RV8, as long as you can ahemm turn it in to a 1982 or Older which shouldn't be too difficult if you know what I mean. I'm amazed with all the 1974 and 1975 Late LATE classic Minis running around, that nobody has thought to Import and RV8 in this fashion as a ummmm "restored" 1975 wink wink, or the more commmon term that always makes me laugh and even more appropriate with an RV8 a Re-Body

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]nobody has thought to Import and RV8 in this fashion as a ummmm "restored" 1975 [/QUOTE]

gotta be a '74 for title purposes - at least in Alabama! But, then, my '74-1/2 GT is titled as a '74 because Alabama can't do half years.

OP
R

rrshadow2

Freshman Member
I've seen the Granada Limo on E-bay and other than the fact that he want's Wayyyy too much for it, it's also a 1984 which makes it Too New to bring to the states, it's fine in Canada where the rule is 15 years old and Not 25 years old

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
rrshadow2 said:
I've seen the Granada Limo on E-bay and other than the fact that he want's Wayyyy too much for it, it's also a 1984 which makes it Too New to bring to the states, it's fine in Canada where the rule is 15 years old and Not 25 years old

At his rate, it'll still be for sale in 2009 /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
R

rrshadow2

Freshman Member
You really wouldn't even need to go through Alabama with an RV8, you could actually do it Semi-legally, the same way all those Late Minis get in. Find a Rot box Any year MGB in England, for say 100 Pounds, ok maybee a few hundred pounds. Keep the Vin # and the British V5 ( title/registration )scrap the actual car, Take your V5 for Say a 74-5-6-7-8 and Voila, Your RV8 is Now turned in to a "restored" scrapper, Just like is Commonly done to Minis all the time, Of course I would Never condone using this Method, but it sure works and Customs if they DO know about this sure doesn't seem to give a crap, and from experience, I can tell you that all they look at is the paperwork and rarely Ever actually See the car, so as far as they're concerned if it says it's a 1975, it's 1975 even if in reality it's a 1995

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, I'm aware of that technique...there's just 1 thing wrong with it: liability!

If its ever in an accident & anybody finds out its not what the paperwork says it is, the insurance company will void the insurance because there's no legal 'line' for the car so it can't legally be insured...& the insurance company would find out as soon as their adjuster took a look at the car (or the other person't insurance company)....& then you're faced with a car that wasn't legal for the roads of the US without insurance - insurance fraud...plus the legal problems of titling it as something it isn't...it's a big law suit just waiting to happen - especially if anybody was hurt in the acident!

My daughter & son-in-law, both lawyers, advised me not to go that route recently & cited the above as a 'for instance'.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you are trying to ask Tony you aren't going to get an answer. He's been dead and gone for longer than you've been a member.