• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bashing & Exploding Clutches

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
This is what I did last weekend (at the BeaveRun track near Pittsburgh).

~BeaveRun Qualifying Session Video~

Sorry for the horrible resolution; someone needs to take up a collection to replace my crappy, 20 year old VHS video camera (I hope my kids are reading this).

There is some decent "close traffic" shots about half way through it. Most of it has me near Bruce's #61 Mini and Pete's #23 Sprite (both 1275s)

You may notice that Bruces's Mini is pretty bashed in the right rear. An errant VW Golf bashed it during the first practice. The Golf driver felt terrible and was actually crying. They worked out some sort of solution. Another racer brought a Porta-Power and we got most of the body work away from the left rear wheel so Bruce could race.

Bruce's Mini "as bashed".
pranged-mini.jpg

A temp fix so that he could race.
pranged_mini.jpg

3 Brits chugging down the main straight
3-brits-bverun07.jpg

In traffic
john-nial-gary-bvrun07.jpg

Our Chaiman was not able to attend due to a pesonal emergency, so I was elected to replace him...it's a very busy job. So much so that I forgot to gas up the car and ran out of fuel on the last lap of the first Saturday race. Prior to running out of gas, me Bruce and Pete were nose to tail for about 25 laps. I took a LOT of ribbbing about that!
I won the small bore class in the Saturday 1-hour enduro event.
On Sunday after another 25 laps of nose to tail action with Pete and Bruce, I was in third on the last lap when Bruce tried to pass Pete for the lead. Bruce accidentally dropped the car in second instead of fourth and the clutch blew up (we think). When Bruce wobbled I almost got past Pete for the lead, but held me off for the last lap. Great fun!

D

Deleted member 3577

Re: Bashing & Exploding Clutches

Hey....I got Wabbit damage last weekend also.

Turn 13 at Nelson (I was going inside & #2#)

I hates dem-Wabbits.
(I did move him though for 2nd place /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif)

I wanted to flag EMRA Nial but, we both ended up racing on the same day /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Did the Mini-bashing happen at 10?

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Dave:

No, although T10 would make sense.....*I* almost hit him there later on in the day.
He went off into the grass at T5 and the VW followed him off (for some reason?) and then rammed him. He got hit by a different Golf at the last race too. I usually get hit by Miatas myself (two "tags" this year). /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Something is weird at BeaveRun this year. When I would brake going into T1 or T10 I'd get this crazy "juddering". I thought my brake caliper was loose or something. I mentioned it to one of the Honda pilots and he had the same thing....then I asked around and a lot of folks were getting this, so I guess it's the track surface.
I was making 6000 RPM in forth (about 100 mph) thru T9 and had to be real careful to get the car *straight* before braking or it felt like it would spin from the juddering. An Integra spun in front of me at this spot just as he passed me. Hairy seeing a car go backwards that fast. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

I should be at the Pittburgh Vintage event at BeaveRun in a few weeks....You going?

BeaveRun Track Map
North%20Track%20Features.gif

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had a great time last weekend at the VIR Gold Cup races. Group C was a fairly mixed bag--see results here:

https://www.virclub.com/vir/downloads/GoldCupGroupC.pdf

During Friday's practice an Alfa Giulietta right behind me rolled as we were approaching South Bend--I could not get a report on the driver's condition but the car was a total with the roll hoop taking an incredible beating. Seeing this in my mirror slowed me down a bit....

I'm heading up to Mosport next week for the VARAC Vintage Festival, then to BeaverRun and PVGP in July.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Michael:
Hope to meet up with you at BeaveRun.

I wish I was going to Mosport....Alas, I have a big project here at work and they won't remove the Ball-and-Chain until it's done!

And one of these days I'll make it down to VIR; it looks like a great track.
By the way, the South Jersey track folks (at Thunderbolt) wrote me a note the other day. They want me to call and reserve our '08 spot at their track. I have my fingers crossed that this all works out!

Meanwhile, here's some more pics for our BeaveRun event:

Check out this wackey pit-bike that someone brought;

pit-bug-1.jpg

pit_bug-1.jpg

Vintage Sports 2000 racer (VS2)
vs2-bverun07.jpg

EMRA-VS2-bverun07-backstraight2.jpg

Sports Renaults
EMRA-SportsRenault-bverun07-.jpg

Open Wheel/VS2 race
EMRA-VS2-bverun07-start.jpg

Big Bore grid
EMRA-BigBoreGrid-bverun07-passing.jpg

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Nial--

There is an SVRA event--"Virginia Races"--at VIR 9/27-30. Perhaps you can make that.

Great pictures and I look forward to meeting you at BR.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Any of the fellas from the Sewickley Car Store still at it?

Sure wish I could shake free and get up there. I need to buy Dave a beer or three at the very least.

D

Deleted member 3577

Sounds good ta me!

You should schedule a visit when BeaveRun has a track day and take the Pinto out for a spin.

You'll love passing Vipers & 911s in that thing /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif .

D

Deleted member 3577

aeronca65t said:
He went off into the grass at T5 and the VW followed him off (for some reason?) and then rammed him. He got hit by a different Golf at the last race too. I usually get hit by Miatas myself (two "tags" this year). /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif
The 5-6-7 combination is my favorite part of the track.
You can really move through there if ya hit it right.

BTW....Wabbits are my #1 worst enemy followed closely by Miatas.
Wabbits are in ITB and generally faster than Pintos.
When you get $300 (Kumho bucks) for 1st place.....It's WAR!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

WhatsThatNoise said:
Sounds good ta me!

You should schedule a visit when BeaveRun has a track day and take the Pinto out for a spin.

You'll love passing Vipers & 911s in that thing /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif .

umm... bein' out there amongst Vipers 'n 911's in that P(ylon)into THANG would require a KEG apres-event, certes! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Barfly: "Why's 'e shakin' like that?!? DT's?"

Dave: "Naah... snakebit."

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

No worries mate....

Just think of the Pinto as the world's fastest APC /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif