• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Seat Belts in TR3

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I have a set of seatbelts (made by Ruppert Parachute Co.) that I originally bought for my first Triumph, a '62 tr4, back in '64. They have been in every TR I've had since then, and I would like to install them in my TR3 resto that I'm now doing.

What I need to know, is where can I get the body attaching hardware, and where are the preferred attachment points on the body shell.

Also, if you look at the attachment pic, the bottom belt shows the rather thick attachment hook. The are many seat belt attachment hardware that will not accept such a large hook. The hook is 3/8" thick, and the section between the inner hole and the outside is a little over 7/16".

Any help will be appeciated.
Thanks.

D

DougF

I bought a similar goose neck belts in black from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies several years ago. I too would suggest not using the ones you have. If you feel attached to them, fasten them to your computer chair for those late nights.
PegasusAutoRacing.com or 1-800-688-6946. They also carry the hardware.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Some time ago, I scanned and ".PDF'ed" some drawings/templates from a Standard-Triumph Service Bulletin of 1962, detailing suggested installation of seat belt mounting points for a TR3A. (At the time, NY, CT and possibly other states required at least installed mounts for seat belts in new cars.)

Here is that scan for installation of belts in the TR3A. I assume no responsibility or liability for these; I'm only passing along a "factory" suggestion!

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I welded it some angle pieces behind the interior rear dog-leg panel. In fact, it`s welded to the inner sill. For the center points, I welded in a curved plate under the drive-shaft tunnel. In all 4 points, I pre-welded huge nuts to anchor the bolts holding the flate plates at the ends of the belt buckles.

I did this on my black TR3A in 1989 and again a few years ago on the greeen TR3A I restored.

Attachments

• 5797-SeatbeltAnchor-BPost.JPG
    5797-SeatbeltAnchor-BPost.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 964

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Here is the photo of the bolt hole for attaching the center lap belt in the driveshaft tunnel. In the distance you can see, once more, the bolt for the outer lap belt behind the "B" post.

Attachments

• 5799-SeatBeltAnchor-Tunnels.JPG
    5799-SeatBeltAnchor-Tunnels.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,416

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Belts have a limited life span...yours are on life support.

Great wall hangers but seriously out of date. Buy new ones if you really plan on having them hold up in an accident.

OP
martx-5

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, thanks to all, that is exactly the info I was looking for. And yes, I will be getting a new set of seat belts from Pegasus. They have the same style as my old ones. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Well I have a pair of those WWII (see rest of message below

belts in my TR3. I used quik clip chain clips that slipped thru the existing steel rings that are attached in the same location as in the sketch that was sent in by someone. I had to use an extra clip to that to get distance right so the belts would clip together for any size person. I may get flamed here but my belts are made out of some kind of khaki webbing that looks sturdy enough. I'm not sure of the material but to me it looks it was made to last.Not deterioated at all . Apparently brit car racers in the 50's and 60's used these belts at the track.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just found this old post about seat belts. In the body work stage of restoration of 56 TR3 and want to add belt anchor points. These suggestions are for lap belts. Does mounting a 3-point belt on the high spot of the wheel well work (with suitable reinforcing) or is that really too low to be practical? As a result, have most people opted to stay with lap belts only? Suggestions and opinions most welcome. Second question: Is there much difference in the direct bolt on lap belts and those with a clip into a ring bolt? Thanks, Mike

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Andy. I was thinking that was the consensus after reading earlier posts. Cheers, Mike

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
I've seen quite a few inertia lap/sash belts mounted high on the rear wheel arch. A seat belt mfr warned me this is risky because an "over the shoulder" belt mounted below neck level can compress the spine in an accident.

On the other hand, in a heavy frontal accident a lap belt can leave you mashing your face into the steering wheel/scuttle.

Then when you look at the side protection if T boned.........

We opted for lap belts.....and never to miss a chance to drive the TR for fear of an accident.

Viv.

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I have heard about the risk of having the shoulder belt attached below the shoulder. I was really supprized when I noticed that is how my miata is done.

I have not decided if I will do two or three point belts when I get to that point.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've 3 pt. I'm 5'8" and the wife shorter. The angle isn't terribly off unless you are a large/tall person. Interesting about the Miata.
Trade off on eating the dash/wheel. Then again I've a solid steering shaft so how do you really make our older cars 'safe' in modern terms. Can't really be done in the TR3 models unless you build a cage, modify the steering etc and then you don't have a 3.