• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Connaughts

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Its either a breed of Austrailian Springer (dog) or a race car:

504-1199.jpg

[ 03-03-2004: Message edited by: Basil ]

[ 03-03-2004: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Like Basil said... A little more information. I believe The Connaught company/racing team was formed shortly after WWII, I do know that they quit racing in the mid-1950's at which point I think the company went out of business entirely.

It's also a fairly well documented fact that they made a very small number of road cars between 1950 and 1955, no more than 12 and very possibly less than that number. I believer CDK is referring to the scanned picture I sent him recently, of the Connaught L-3 street roadster I sent him in an e-mail. Coldplugs... if you still have that picture I sent you, do you have webspace to host the picture for this thread?

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sherlock:
... Coldplugs... if you still have that picture I sent you, do you have webspace to host the picture for this thread?<hr></blockquote>

Yup.

connaughtl3.jpg

Here's another one of a Connaught Formula car at the museum in Beaulieu.

connaughtsm.jpg

Connaughts had a reputation for being beautifully built & prepared but a little too slow for prime time racing. The reason they are remembered more fondly than HWM (for example) is that a Connaught won the first major GP race by an English car built and designed in England and driven by an English driver (Tony Brooks). This was on Sicily in 1955. It was the only significant win they ever had (and I'm not sure it was all that important a race, but one takes what one can get sometimes). The GP cars had Alta engines. If anyone wants to become a Connaught expert, read Graham Gould's biography of Reg Parnell.

In the musueum picture, there's another interesting GP car of the era to the left of the Connaught - a V16 1.5 liter BRM (aka the "Moon rocket built by Victorians").

William

Darth Vader
You can also find an interesting thread about Connaught over at atlasf1's "The Nostalgia Forum". From memory, that Syracuse win was not a Championship round, but was still a Grand Prix event. Tony Brooks wasn't a full time driver at the time, and was asked almost at the last minute to drive in the race. He was studying dentistry at the time, and spent the trip to Italy and back studying for his exams!
-William

OP
CDK

CDK

Jedi Trainee
Thanks everybody for the pics and links.Two out of the three responces expected came thru. Thanks, James and John but what happened to Nial, I thought for sure there was a folder in the file cabinet.
CDK

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CDK:
..... but what happened to Nial, ...<hr></blockquote>

Dave:
See, I'm building our FIRST Robot, re-assembling the Spridget, doing my taxes, working.....who has time for Connaughts?
tongue.gif

Anyway, Connaught is well-known as a formula car builder and to be honest, I'm not a big fan of F1 racing or formula cars in general (although I did own a Formula Vee once). The little street roadster that bears the same designation as my plane (L-3) is pretty neat...I hadn't seen those.

A while ago, when I was looking up stuff related to racing in Ireland, the name "Connaught" came up, but the car is British (although it seems to have an Irish name). I do know that Connaught made some use of the American Hilborn fuel-injection system in their cars and that they used a sort of paddle-shifter (based on a Wilson pre-selector box). If Coventry-Climax had built the little V-8 (intended for Connaught), the marque might be more well-known today.
William's reference is a good one:

https://www.atlasf1.com/2001/can/preview/okeefe.html

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Basil,

I didn't know that the connaught was a breed of australian springer. I guess you learn something new every day.

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

OP
CDK

CDK

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Nial. I new you would have info on this,thats why I was surprised when I didn't see any responce. Are you programing in Post reply capabillities into the robot.
CDK