• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Heater Switch Question

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Heater Switch Question

I hate working under a dash...but, today I decided to tackle repairing the clock in my '79 MGB; however I couldn't get to it so I removed the blanking plate covering the rectangular hole right over the heater switch to the right of the clock...

.....still couldn't get to it so I removed the heater switch.....UH-OH!! Bad move!!

I don't recall that the heater switch has ever been out of the dash & it was so brittle that, as I pulled it out, it disintergrated in my hands....oh, darn!!

Well, at last I get the clock out, repair it ala Jack Laird (works great now!) and, after a couple of hours wiggling it, finally get it back in the dash.

So,I pull a new heater switch off the shelf & go to install it. Now, here's my problem:

...the wiring diagram says there's the plug to the back of the heater switch plus a red/white wire for the light...however, I have the plug, the red/white wire & a black wire...& my old switch is in pieces so I can't tell where the wires went except it appears the 2 spades that could be used for the red/white or black wires are the same - just one on each side of the switch....UH-OH!

Does the black wire go to the heater switch or did I pull it off something else nearby? Man!

(Oh, & I really HATE messing with things electrical!)

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
Re: Heater Switch Question

Tony your mistake was trying to repair the clock. You know you always have to leave something not working, or something else will break

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

My clock is still working and keeping good time Tony. Good stuff.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

!!!! The same thing happened to me Tony! I wanted to figure out why my 3 position fan switch only intermittently worked in one position and the thing fell apart in my hands when I started to think about removing it!

Luckily, you had a switch you could send me, and that one has been working perfectly since I installed it a over a year ago now. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Black wire is a ground. I can't recall a ground wire being switched on any B... it's the ground side of the lightbulb in the switch. Shouldn't matter which way you connect 'em.
The bulb won't care. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]You know you always have to leave something not working, or something else will break [/QUOTE]

Case in point - the heater switch fell apart in my hands! hehehehe

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

There shouldn't be a ground at the switch...the heater circuit ground at the motor end. Could that ground be for the clock?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

I'm sure the heater motor is power switched and has its ground at the motor itself, but how does the internal lamp in the switch get its ground?

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

See, the wiring harness argrees with what Joe said...that's why I was wondering whether I'd pulled the ground wire off something else while my hand was up under the dash...but I don't know from where.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Does your switch have an internal light?

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

The little word "Heater" only

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

My switch has an internal light, but I think it gets it's power from it's main power source. I don't remember a separate wire for the lamp....but it's been about 5 years since I was in there...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

IIRC, the internally lit ones were on the rheostat with the rest of the instrument lighting: red/white is V+ from it. Switch is plastic with no other ground source for that lamp.

I may be remembering something from another car, though. It's been years and many, many different vehicles.

<shrug>

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Tony
I just installed that switch which I bought from you. The red/white wire goes on the side closet to the speepo, and the black wire goes on the other side. Mine is a 1977 but should be the same. The ground is for the light in the switch btw
Dave

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Daqve - that's what I ended up doing though on the '79 it doesn't show the black wire on the diagram...thanks

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Ah-hem...