• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

-New Pictures-Great Weekend

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Had a great weekend at Shenandoah in West Virginia

This is a great little track....much more fun than Lime Rock or Watkins Glen in my view (even though they are both closer to me).
Shenandoah is located on the Summit Point property along with the "old" SP track, which many folks consider a real classic.

I like the "old" course too, but this new track is really neat, especially for small cars. It's 1.5 miles and has a mini-version of the Laguna Seca Corkscrew.

Our Time Trial (with mostly street cars) on Saturday had about 55 cars. Our Sunday wheel-to-wheel races had lighter attendance with 28 cars total in three main classes: Open Wheel, Big Bore Closed Wheel and Small Bore Closed Wheel (my class). Weather was perfect.

Chris and his girlfriend brought their two white roadsters to the TT along with "Big Mike" and his yellow 1275 Sprite.
Chris and I helped Mike fix a loose axle bolt. Chris did all the physical work and I directed. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

My pal, Pete, had a break down with his van half way to the track and had to hitch a ride to the race. His orange Sprite is still stranded in a parking lot on its trailer, somewhere in Pennsylavania.
My son in law and my younger daughter came too. He got a 2nd place trophy in class in his '04 Mustang Mach One. His first trophy. Probably not his last.

My neighbor, Bruce brought his 1275 Mini to the event and we had a great battle.
At the start I got biffed (by a Spec-Miata...what else?) and almost turned around in the middle of about 10 cars. I got it straightened out, but it took me about 8 or 9 laps to catch Bruce. Then we went at it hammer-and-tongs for about 10 laps, swapping leads and taking turns side-by-side. My car was unusually tail-happy, but the tires are old, so I figured it was just worn tires.
With two and half laps to go, we were running side by side on the straight at top speed. Both tried to out-wait the other on braking for the upcoming hairpin turn. Eventually, we both got on the brakes.....and mine failed!
I "saved" it by pumping and getting some brakes back. After a very wobbley turn, I kept going, but Bruce had me beat. Since it was almost over, I kept on going since I had a little brake (if I pumped a lot). On the last lap I let Fred S's Civic get by me and he spun as he passed me. I almost T-boned him, but he kept his foot on it and saved the day. Fred and I laughed about it later...he didn't realize I was brakless.
Later, I figured out the "tail-happy" stuff was due to brake fluid leaking onto the right rear tire. A wheel cylinder had failed.
The Spec-Miata guy who hit me came over and apoligized as soon as we were done. He offered to pay or whatever, but I told him not to worry. As long as a guy comes over afterwards and takes responsibility, I don't mind. We all know there's a chance of this stuff happening in racing.

Here's some pics. More later.

Bruce and I passed this Civic and I almost T-boned it later on.
fred-bruce-nial.jpg

Yellow=Mike's, Green=mine and White=Team Chris
3-sprite.jpg

The smoke is brake fluid.
nial-pass-bruce.jpg

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Great Weekend

Nail

That sounds like fun, thanks for sharing.

Patrick

Twosheds

Darth Vader

I thought about going over and saying "Hi', but worked on the TR3 instead. Sounds like you had a good time, despite your troubles.

cherokee

Spec-Miata...go figure, the one that hit me told me I was blocking him. Ya...Right. I was the 7th, yep you read it right the 7th car he hit in that one race. He even managed to hit a car before the green.

good news is that he was asked not to come back.

Some people are clueless.

Sounds like you had a good time and that is what it is all about. I just need to get my car back together.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight

It certainly was a great weekend. We left sometime after 5 yesterday afternoon, drove through to CT, napped at the first rest area on 95 in CT, crossed into RI and napped again, backed the trailer into the driveway at 6:30 this morning, unhooked the trailer, made a pot of coffee, and drove to work. Needless to say I haven't been very useful today. Now I need to go pick up the dogs and see if they still like me. See you at Pocono.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Sounds like y'all had a great weekend -- glad everyone had fun and made it home with cars in one piece.

I need to plan a trip back to visit my parents in RI some weekend when you are racing. Maybe next year...

toysrrus

Yoda

Hi There aeronca;

When are the Pocono Events to begin and any info you may have would be greatly appreciated": I know there is a Web-Site somewhere!

Thanx, Russ

PS: I saw it somewhere but where ????

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Nial--

Looks like you and the Mini had a great event.

VSCCA ran on the Shenandoah last November. Saturday we ran clockwise and Sunday counter--it was like two different tracks. I found the latter direction considerably faster.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

ThinkRacing said:
Did you get any pictures of that guy who lost it on the back straight in the STEEDA Mustang GT on Saturday?

Note: The Mustang in question got loose and went backwards on a kink in the straightaway. The car backed into the end of a concrete barrier at very high speed.

No, but I was standing nearby and watched it happen.
It took my breath away!

We ran to the car and as we got there, I heard the driver say to a flagger,
"Man, I *hate* it when that happens!"
That's when we knew he was OK.
As far as I could tell, the car looked totaled.

Earlier in the day I had helped run a novice driver's school and I'd warned everyone about that exact point on the track. There's not a lot of runoff in that area and my car always feels spooky there.

Overall, though, I think it's a great track.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight

Fantastic PICS!!!