Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rough running TR6 = Pertronix?

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Rough running TR6 = Pertronix?

Hi,

I put a pretronix ignitor in my 6 recently and my first real drive with it, 45 mins to work on Monday, car ran very well. However a few minutes before getting home the car started to run rough.

The car runs fine for about 15 minutes or so, then it will run rough below about 2200 rpm, kind of like the dwell is off a bit.

Could this be the pretronix?

I used to have a MSD6 in it, and it would over heat in stop and go traffic causing the car to rough very rough, until the MSD cooled down. I wonder if this is a simmilar problem. Monday's drive was not stop and go, and no overheating was happening.

Chats

Re: Rough running TR6 = Pertronix?

Rooster,

I don't know if this will help or not, but here it is:
    Paul Rego
    S.E. MASS - USA
    1974 TR6 Mimosa & Chestnut
    Original Owner / Non Original Car
    1980 TR8 Lava Red Pearl / Tan
    New Owner / Non Original Car

My TR6 Resto-Mod Project

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that.

I think that test is to be used to indicate if the unit has a bad sensor. In which case I think that the car would not run at all . In my case the engine revs freely when there is no load, and runs rough once the car has been driven for a while.

It might not be the pertronix that is the problem, but since I just installed it, it's the first thing I'm looking at as the possible culprit.

I'm wondering if any one else has ever had a simmilar problem with the pertronix?

RonMacPherson

Can't tell you about the pertronix, as I have run Allison/Crane for over 15 years no problem. So you might want to take a quick look at the fuel filter, fuel pressure and volume, just to see if a problem crops up there. All I can suggest with the Pertonix is contact them and see what they say.

Chats

Hi Rooster:

What you are describing are the same symptoms I had on my TR6 when the ignition coil went bad. The car only acted up after it got hot. Took me a while to find it as I thought it was a fueling issue at first, but a new coil solved the problem.

Good luck with your diagnosis and fix.

Matt

Good point on the coil Matt.

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Hi Matt,

I put in a new coil at the same time as the pertronix. The new coil is a pretonix flame thrower. I still have the old one, so I can give it a try tonight. At least it's an easy swap.

Thanks.

Chats

Did you re-gap your plugs at .035" when you did the installation of the coil and ignition? If so, you may want to back them off to .030" or .028".
    Paul Rego
    S.E. MASS - USA
    1974 TR6 Mimosa & Chestnut
    Original Owner / Non Original Car
    1980 TR8 Lava Red Pearl / Tan
    New Owner / Non Original Car

My TR6 Resto-Mod Project

Chats

It seems like every "new" part I put on my car complicates something else. I have a new pertronics, and coil on my shelf now, but get paranoid when my car is running good to mess with it.

Current car: 1980 Triumph Spitfire
    Past cars: 1975 Triumph Spitfire, 1973 Austin Mini,
    (2) 1969 TR6's, (2) 1972 TR6's, 1975 TR6, 1977 TR7, 1969 GT6+

RonMacPherson

Okay, you mentioned you put a coil in it. What about the rotor and center terminal(spring carbon) in the distributor cap. Next time it starts running rough, with a pair of insulated pliers, might want to pull one of the plug wires away from a plug and see what quality of spark you're getting. Then take a good look at the inside of the distributor cap and rotor. Make sure the blade on the rotor is tight, the rotor is tight on the distributor shaft and the carbon brush in the cener of the distributor cap extends slightly(and compresses when you push it in). Just some troubleshooting suggestions.