• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Outmaneuvering a FWD

• Thread starter Deleted member 3577
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3577

Outmaneuvering a FWD

OK....I think just about everyone here knows I drive a POS low Hp fatty....

I've got a couple of years of racing experience under my belt.
(about 16 weekends total)

Most LBCs are RWD and most don't have gobbs of power.
(Same sort of situation I have)

Question....How do I keep these idiots from dive bombing me all the time.

I try to hold em outside and they still get under me.

Drifting ain't the fastest way around a corner....But you can't pass someone when they're taking up the whole track.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
Re: Outmaneuvering a FWD

"""""Question....How do I keep these idiots from dive bombing me all the time."""""

Wider car....bigger mirrors .....and more blocking.

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

Generally, a FWD just turns in better and can brake deeper but tends to get out of sorts after the apex.

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee

I always thought they were worst under braking... With no weight in the back at all, they can't run nearly as much rear brake bias as a rear wheel drive vehicle.

You drive an ITB Pinto right?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

If , for example, you are approaching a right hand turn:

1. Position yourself on their right side *very close* to them. Stay "even" with them...not ahead or behind.
2. Don't brake until they do
3. Stay close to them and force them to stay in a line that is very wide for them (obviously, no metal to metal contact....but *almost*).
4. Your line will be bad, but still better than their's and you should have better exit speed.

This won't work all the time. When my friend's do it to me, I stand on the brakes early and then shoot to "their" right.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

Interesting professor.

Patrick

Bugeye58

Yoda

Well, Dave, on the back of my car it says "Too close for missles, switching to guns." /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

SCCA rules say you must allow someone "racing room" and that you may not block...

Usually......So far as corner workers are concerned.
This sort of means that you can "swerve" ONCE in between corners.

Now uncomfortably 'close' means different things to different drivers.

(In the Elva it would be about 6' and in the Pinto it would involve tire marks down the side of the car /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

"Racing room": 1/8".

Jeff, we need bumper stickers!

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

Yep....Used to take forever to get the tire rub marks off the car when I used gas & a rag....

Now I just bring a rattle can of red.

2 min. & blow dry /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Well, THAT certainly blows the "add lightness" philosophy... but then on YOUR race-car it mayn't have a big effect. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Bugeye58 said:
DrEntropy said:
Jeff, we need bumper stickers!

Doc, mine is actually a license plate frame that I picked up at Edwards a few years ago.
Jeff

I'll have to ask around the area. They sent all the LawnDart drivers away tho. Now all we have are the gas passers here. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

DrEntropy said:
Well, THAT certainly blows the "add lightness" philosophy... but then on YOUR race-car it mayn't have a big effect. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif
Mario Andretti couldn't win with my car....

It's a fat ugly POS.....The trade-off is.....

Racing-vs-cash.....(ie...racing or NO racing)

I'd rather be there in a 2560#/125hp piece of crap than not there at all. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif