• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

engine bay color

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've noticed that in most TR pics the engine bays are the same color as the car's exterior.

Makes sense - it's all sprayed at the same time.

But in a few pics the bay is a "dull gray" - like primer.

Is there a useful purpose in *not* repainting the bay when repainting the car (other than painting without pulling the engine)?

Or a reason for painting the bay a different color than the rest of the car?

Thanks.
Tom

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
<span style="color: #3333FF"> </span> <span style='font-size: 20pt'>PURE LAZYNESS!!</span>

aaa3.jpg

MarkT

Kodanja - what is that you used to coat the engine bay? Looks pretty rough to the touch?

Mark

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The only reason to do that is you can later paint the exterior a different color and you not have to pull the engine or body to re-color the engine bay.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
kodanja:
I like your engine bay! That`s what I classify as "done right"!
Yea, mabe not to manufacturers original {but thats usualy garbage anyway}. After seeing your engine bay, My TR-3 will get the same as you have done I`m sure.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
It's all a matter of how much time and effort that you want to devote to the project. Bill did a great job on his, but remember, if you decide to change color, it sometimes leads to more work than staying with the original. If you change color and do it correctly, as Bill has, then you need to cover everything in the new color.

After that, it's simply a matter of personal preference.

I went with the original color, but did give it a lot of thought after looking at Bill's.

Paint Shop 022 (Custom).jpg

Paint Shop 029 (Custom).jpg

swift6

Yoda
I've been told that my engine bay paint is just as nice as my exterior paint. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Nice paint inside makes it easy to keep clean AND look good.

2.jpg

AweMan

Jedi Knight
My 56 Tr3 will deffinately NOT be the original PUTRID ivory color anyway! Saying that, it will be original BUT it won`t be the original color! I was thinking of a red, BUT dang! There are a lot of red TR3`s. My second choice is a deep forrest green {almost black} with tan interior. Back on topic, the engine bay and inner apron aperance to me is not a significant issue as far as color or correctness goes. What is significant to me is fending off corrosion and maintaining cosmeticaly pleasing aperance. What Bill has done with his engine bay seems to me to have both assets.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom & Kerry,

I agree with Shawn, in that once you get it cleaned and painted, whatever the color, you will tend to keep it looking that way.

It's far more important to make sure that all of the surface preparation is done properly prior to applying any kind of top coating. That's where it gets tricky under the hood. there are a lot of items in the way, that have to be removed or covered, because under those brake lines, valves, relays, etc. is usually where the corrosion begins to start it's process.

It's definitely a lot easy to prepare the outer surface of a hood or fender than to work under the hood.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I will have the time, patients and $$ to do it right on my next project car, which will hopefully be this spring (TR3).

I took the Cowards way out on my 6, I didnt want to remove the engine at the time of paint so I went with a rubberized textured trunk paint. The good thing is, if I happen to scratch it, a quick spray and it matches perfectly, also acts as a nice weather proofing.

<span style="color: #CC0000"> </span> <span style='font-size: 20pt'>BUILT TO DRIVE BABY!!!!</span>

LOOKS BETTER THAN IT DID

TR636.jpg
DSC05928aaa.jpg

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful
My engine bay color is the same as the rest of the car--I had the tub dipped so I was starting with bare metal. I was leaning towards white but my lovely wife said red and that was the end of that. Red is a fun color, for sure.

Here's a shot of my tub the day it finally came home from the bodyshop. The engine bay looks nice in the image; the paint flowed out nice and glossy but there were places where they just shot over dirt. I ended up having to re-sand some areas, clean up a lot of crud left in the crevices, and also seal some seams that were missed. I bought a spray gun and reshot the engine bay myself. I'm happy with about 85% of what I did considering it was my first time. Let's not discuss the rest...

TR250shiny25x7.jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Now that is what you call a perfect paint job under the hood. Just take your time putting everything back. Blue painters tape does wonders to help avoid scratches on new paint.

Your wife is very wise, indeed. That looks beautiful.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
he choose the correct path!

The Red looks awesome!
My next TR project will be dipped for sure.

Good luck with it BritBox, please keep us posted with lot of pix!

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee
If you are at all interested in showing your car, it seems the engine bay should be the same as the body color. My bay was silver when I bought the car, and at most shows I would sneak in a third place. After painting the bay to match, 1st and 2nd places were not unusual. Judges like to see the original color. I didn't pull the engine to paint mine.

JpgTR8.jpg

TR4_08.jpg

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
very nice!!!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Neither did I (meaning my body shop), but it took a lot of time and effort to remove everything and do it correctly, but I'd never want it done any other way.

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Paul, thanks kodanja!

The guy who shot the REST of the car was a real pro. I insisted on straight enamel instead of base/clear and the bodyshop guys acted like I was nuts. Little Mikey the painter just shook his head at me and then proceeded to do a beautiful job flowing the paint--except for the engine bay where he painted over dirt! The car has never been rubbed out but it has a nice gloss. I'm very happy with it.

Dipping the car is worthwhile, especially when the old wreck is as far gone as mine was. There's an industrial metal stripping facility about 30 miles from here; they did my frame and misc. suspension parts for about $125--and it fit easily in the back of a Chevy van. When I went back a year later to do the tub and fenders, that batch was about $400 but well worth it.

Hey kodanja, thanks for your support, but the car's been finished for over five years! Here's a link to more images from my site:

https://www.thebritbox.com/britboxsfavoritetr250.htm

I think Paul's already seen them.

Thanks again,

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mike - your britbox website is excellent. And I fully agree with your blog comment:

"True motoring satisfaction is found in the exploration of sudden negative camber curves that precede narrow covered bridges—the thump of a sporty British car’s Yokohama tires on cracked and patched two-lane blacktop."

Well done sir!

Tom