• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Certifiable Loony

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
On my way home from work this afternoon, I spotted a powder blue TR4 heading the other way. So what? Well, with snow on the ground, a temperature of 8F and a wind chill of -12, that was a most unusual sighting. Whoever you are sir, you made my day!! Thank you.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Three cheers for LBC bravery!

Almost sounds like the "good old days" (that I've only heard about) when these old sports cars were driven year round, even in the snow belt...

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
Since 1987, at various times two different GT6s and a Spit have been my sole transportation. At another point I had two MGs and no other cars, so I was still relying on 25-year+ machinery as my sole transportation.

And they never let me down. (except the Spit. It was a wretched little car).

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In my young and foolish days (about 30 years ago), my "trusty" 1970 Spit was my daily driver. Owned it through 1 Nebraska and 1 west Texas winter, and since it was my ONLY car, it HAD to be the driver. I remember one day with about 4-6" of snow, me and a buddy slid into a drift. No problem...get out, get behind the car, pick it up, pull it out, and off we went again!

Winston

Jedi Trainee
There's still some fortitude out there, outstanding.
Many years ago (prior to my LBC hobby?), I drove old cars that I used sheet metal real estate signs for floorboard's and a scraper in lieu of a defroster. I can remember changing out a starter motor in my gravel driveway with an old lamp running to the car from the house for light and a temperature of about 10 degrees above zero.

Naturally I now have 30 sqaures of concrete with a big 2 1/2 garage and can even probably afford a propane heater, yet my new fuel pump is in the box in front of me and the TR4A slumbers under a nice weatherproof cover in the garage.

Ah, youth is wasted on the young.

Winston 67TR4A IRS

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Another war story. When my fiance (now wife) were dating back in the mid 70's I had a TR250 as a daily driver. Had a pair of Semperit studded snows on the back. Drove it 20 + miles each way to work (Foreign Auto Parts) & community college. When I went away to school in the Adirondaks she kept it & would drive up 6 1/2 hrs through the High peaks to visit. After we got married I can remember going skiing in it!! It was really scary going over the "BRIDGES FREEZE BEFORE ROADS" areas.

Your are right though; youth is wasted on the young!

[ 01-07-2004: Message edited by: gjh ]

[ 01-07-2004: Message edited by: gjh ]</p>